Travis Broken? NOOOOOooo...

July 18, 2006, 7:03 p.m.

oh…..

CHECK YOUR SPV PRESSURE BEFORE RIDING…. EVERY TIME.

thats all im gunna say. im sure someone knows who it is directed to. :)

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 18, 2006, 7:52 p.m.

hey rosscotubby whys the travis off the wall pivoting in the middle ahah? oh if my 1.5'er breaks in less than a week i am going to pee on it before i send it your way. k? hehe

- bike sexual

July 18, 2006, 8:21 p.m.

it didnt break. he hardcore bottomed it out and had to have it serviced. :)

I hardcore bottomed my Shiver and it works as good as it did when I got it… …but then again theres no comparison between a Manitou and a Marzocchi

*stirs pot

July 18, 2006, 8:23 p.m.

Maaaaaaaaaannnniiiiiiippoooo!!!!! Why Do U Buy It!

July 18, 2006, 8:29 p.m.

The exact same thing happened to my slider plus so i sent her in and got it back withen the week….defianately looking forward to going back to marzocchi

I have no children and my tits are super perky.

July 18, 2006, 10:26 p.m.

I hardcore bottomed my Shiver and it works as good as it did when I got it… …but then again theres no comparison between a Manitou and a Marzocchi

*stirs pot

My old Super T saved my ass on the rock drop on A-Line when I hit a bad spot on the landing. All I heard was loud "Shittack" and then the first part of that out of my mouth, and that was that. It was a really hard bottom out, but I rolled on for the rest of the day.

I really don't want this to turn into a total Manitou bashing thread. That doesn't help anyone and doesn't fix the big problem with Manitou or the current problem with both my forks. I just want to ride.

Luckily, it sounds like Manitou will be setting up a tent at Whistler on Saturday. I'll tell them what's goin on, and see if they'll help me out right there. I guess I'll just get the oil changed out and try to ride until they get there.

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3
2003 Giant TCR ONCE Team Road Bike

For Sale:

2004 Marzocchi DJII - NEW! PRICE LOWERED!

Tech Geek that likes to Freeride. Visit my stuff at: www.futurelooks.com and for that laptop fetish, www.laptoplifestyle.net.

July 19, 2006, 12:02 a.m.

Just heard from a friend that her travis Intrinsic DC blew… after some repair work from a Manitou service centre in Whistler, it broke again the next ride. she did mention though that the fork was super nice and felt waaay better than the Shiver. assumption: OGC is the only thing preventing Manitou from lossing all their sales here in BC.

:high: :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: :high:

July 19, 2006, 12:14 a.m.

Oi… I sooooo didn't want to hear that… :(

Well, on a kind of OK note, it seems that a clue has emerged…literally…

I looked at my bike tonight, after dumping it in a corner yesterday in disgust, and noticed oil seeping from both top caps. Some Manitou sleuth has to know what that means and if it can be fixed without sending it away for a week intervention.

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3

For Sale:

Tech Geek that likes to Freeride. Visit my stuff at: www.futurelooks.com and for that laptop fetish, www.laptoplifestyle.net.

July 19, 2006, 12:46 a.m.

It is strange,
Manitou comes out with like 10 totally new forks and 2 or 3 different new damping systems for each season.
And they almost always fail, then they don

July 19, 2006, 8:09 a.m.

lol i can mention the 4 ppl I Know with 888's that have sent theirs in.. and also wonder why they dont feel like they have any damping compared to a travis. Diff story but who cares. if you dont like it dont buy it. Do you complain about the bad choice in food u bought every week? go to safeway and demand a answer why you picked the wrong food?

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 19, 2006, 8:30 a.m.

Maybe I'm looking at this a bit too literally, but the food analogy doesn't really hold up very well. Let's say someone spends $100 on food per week, and doesn't like $30 of it - fine, you can still eat $70 worth and know not to pick up the crappy stuff next time.

A fork, though, is like buying a single $1000 piece of food and expecting it alone to last you, without complaint, for a year, maybe two, maybe more, especially if you're paying so dearly for it. But if you suddenly find a rotten section and that piece of food needs to be sent off for an unexpected, uh, "cleaning," then you don't have anything to eat in the mean time, and most people can't just run out and buy more food to tide them over. Even if the cleaning doesn't take long, it still leaves someone hungry and with a bitter taste in their mouth.

Point is, it's fair to say "if you don't like it, don't buy it," but it's kind of hard to know your stance (pun slightly intended) on a product until you've, you know, bought and used it, especially if it's a first generation product like the Travis.

So there, the end of an over strained analogy. My god, I'm hungry now.

Just 2 cents worth from a consumate lurker.

lol i can mention the 4 ppl I Know with 888's that have sent theirs in.. and also wonder why they dont feel like they have any damping compared to a travis. Diff story but who cares. if you dont like it dont buy it. Do you complain about the bad choice in food u bought every week? go to safeway and demand a answer why you picked the wrong food?

July 19, 2006, 9:01 a.m.

well if food was tripple the price does that make it better?

there is test rides.. reviews… ect read them before.. My travis is working perfectly.. havent had to touch it yet except a stiffer spring

same with my 4way. nothing touched "right outta the box"

ive been lucky with all my manitou.. from my slider to my jumper, stance.. ect.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 19, 2006, 9:31 a.m.

First year products, no matter what manuf they come from, are going to have problems. If people accept that the toys they are buying could very well fail, or work perfectly, then none of these issues would be so earth shattering.

Sure Manitou has its fair share of issues they are dealing with, but so did RS with all those boxxers that were going splody; as did Marz with the first round of 888s and all those singlecrowns that were breaking at the cryofitting.

The fact of the matter is as mountain bikers we are abusive on parts. Some are far more so than others, but at the end of the day, we are giving all of our toys a taste of the ultraviolence. Be thankful that there are the kind and brilliant folks at OGC to take care of you (as a manitou owner) and you don't have to mail your forks to a distributor across the country with the hopes that it comes back fixed in an acceptable timeframe.

The amount of complaining about Manitou is wearing…but I guess it's a change from the bikeroom topics :)

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

July 19, 2006, 10:43 a.m.

First year products, no matter what manuf they come from, are going to have problems. If people accept that the toys they are buying could very well fail, or work perfectly, then none of these issues would be so earth shattering.

snip

In this day and age, where competition for a consumer's dollar is fierce, asking a consumer to accept a flawed product is not acceptable, or realistic, even if it is a first generation product. I realize that we have some of the best local support for the Manitou product. That's why I took a chance…again…that it would be right, fresh out of the shop. If I did need help, down the road, I would be taken care of.

I did not expect, however, that my brand new fork would blow up on my 6th ride on it, a week and a half later. I certainly hope this is not what you're asking me to accept as normal in the realm of a first year product. If this is merely you echoing a Manitou sentiment, then I'm afraid that this company has truly lost touch with their customers and deserves no ones business.

The customer is why businesses stay in business. Without them, the business closes. End of story.

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3

For Sale:

July 19, 2006, 3:07 p.m.

So I got a call from BSP Bikes and they told me that they were able to fix the fork in the shop with some help from James at OGC. Apparently, some sort of shim or part came loose and was blocking the valve in the damper. Long story short, they fixed it up, put new oil in, and we're good to go. The mechanic there seemed convinced that this was just an assembly thing at the factory, and that what he did should take care of this.

I was happy with the service there. The mechanic even offered to loan me a fork in case this one needed to be shipped off to be repaired. However, this whole situation kind of reminded me of when I used to sell Curtis DVD Players. Half of them broke, and whenever one of my staff needed to deal with one coming back, I always told them to just take care of the customer and give them their money back, whatever it took to make sure our customer was taken care of. It was not worth it to get worked up over a poor quality product. They were so accomodating, for a bike shop, because I used to work at a bike shop loooong ago, that you had to think that they see a lot of Manitou's come in and just knew the drill. But I'll try to believe that it is because they wanted to give me good service.

Taking it up to Whistler on Saturday. Lets see if it survives. Thanks BSP for getting me going as fast as you did :)

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3

For Sale: