Temporary Fix for Ovalized Headtube

June 16, 2004, 1:27 a.m.

Originally posted by milkman
Damn. I just started running a DC on my Stiffee as well. Cove said there wouldn't be any warranty issues…Thankfully I installed the new Diabolus deep cup headset….Nice Stiffee thedude. That looks like the exact same setup as mine, minus the fork. If I didn't go for the Slider, I think I would have picked up a ZI Freeride as well…

Yeah fo sho, nice Stiffe thedude!

Shit I wish there was some GOOD Cove service here in Germany! They were GREAT at the COVE!!

Got a pic Milkman?

Gotta check with the Cove boys first then if no go, I'm going with the oversized deal.

thx for the info

You're A Peein" - See you next summer BC!!

June 16, 2004, 3:48 a.m.

Damn. I just started running a DC on my Stiffee as well. Cove said there wouldn't be any warranty issues…

Maybe it depends on what year the Stiffee is (the frame design/material was changed a couple years ago.), or how much travel the fork has?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 16, 2004, 8:44 a.m.

Originally posted by switch
Maybe it depends on what year the Stiffee is (the frame design/material was changed a couple years ago.), or how much travel the fork has?

Very true. '02 was the first year of the box style RAD tubing (my frame) and on their site, the Stiffee is listed as being "double crown ready"….No pics yet HeadOverWheels. I'll try to hook some up soon. Good luck with your warranty.

June 16, 2004, 9:39 a.m.

When I ovalised my headset I was told that the green Loctite was the way to go. Can't remember the number, but it's non permanent and a gap filler. You may need to reapply every so often, that's the downside. I ended up getting a deep cup head set, and that solved my problems.

June 16, 2004, 10:42 a.m.

there is 2 kinds of green

one is for holding in loose sleeves and bearings ,its not permanent but its REALLY hard to remove anything once you use this …. I would think this is what you used

the other one is applied to fasteners that are already done up and its designed to seep into the threads

IMO go with the head set … If its a ghetto bike go with JB weld /loctite/beer can.

June 16, 2004, 2:28 p.m.

I have talked to someone who had the same problem with their stiffee, the deep cup chris king steel set wont fit because of the shape of the headtube. Unless cove changed the design or something.

June 16, 2004, 6:37 p.m.

Id go for the deep cup headset, Cove has had horrible service on parts over the phone, there really good at the shop but anything out of there it changes.

June 17, 2004, 11:51 a.m.

Cory,
Try the warrenty thing first….if that doesn't go throught try the deep cup headset. Ride it for a while and if the deepcup headset still makes creaks like my old Z5 fire a little mix of pop can and JB weld. Or get your buddy in Munich to make a lower headset cup that will fill the gap. You could always send me the frame. :D

If you ask me where the motor is, I'll
punch you in the face!!

June 17, 2004, 1:54 p.m.

Damn. I just started running a DC on my Stiffee as well. Cove said there wouldn't be any warranty issues…Thankfully I installed the new Diabolus deep cup headset….

You should be OK, there is much less chance of ovalizing with a dual crown. I'd bet the frame in questrion was ovalized by a SC.

Deep cup headsets are always a good idea but a DC will usually crack the headtube off before it ovalizes it

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 18, 2004, 1:33 a.m.

Originally posted by Bryce
**You should be OK, there is much less chance of ovalizing with a dual crown. I'd bet the frame in questrion was ovalized by a SC.

Deep cup headsets are always a good idea but a DC will usually crack the headtube off before it ovalizes it **

And the winner is YOU! SC is absolutely correct. You know I really like my STIFFEE :D but it just doesn't sell with the ladies makin all that noice ;)

I alway had GREAT service at the Cove with anything I bought there. The problem is the distributor in Germany ain't really pushin it or answerin the phone, or emails or anythin :(

Got a buddy of mine to CNC up a new drop out and it took him about 2 hours to design and cut it! It's still taking the distributor over 2 months to call in the order??

You're A Peein" - See you next summer BC!!

June 25, 2004, 12:13 p.m.

I've seen this tool that shaves off your headtube (makes it shorter) but this only works if the downtube/welds/gussets don't go right down to the bottom of your headtube (I've seen it done to a Stiffee FR). Also not olny is it an expensive tool (you should try to get a bike shop to lend it to you, or get them to do it and pay nothing by bying them a keg), but the process of shaving your headtube is VERY time-consuming (I'm talking like 3 hours) but it's a way to make someone's garbage into your treasure (that's how I got my hardtail). This is a last resort option, though, I personally don't like it too much, I'd go with the long-insert headset and/or JB weld.

June 26, 2004, 4:17 a.m.

Getting your headset faced CAN help, but only if its a fairly mild flairing. A combination of a mild facing and a deep press headset cup is probably the best bet.