Temporary Fix for Ovalized Headtube

June 14, 2004, 6:54 a.m.

Hey, I have a Cove Stiffee FR and I'm hangin here in Germany. Unfortunately their aren't many of me and the service is bad let alone the warrantee. Or at least it's REALLY slow. Doesn't matter, thing is the head tube is ovalized.

I heard a slice of a Redbull can Can help. Any other suggestions cuz the creaking is not working for the ladies :mad:

Although the new :thepimp: factor riding Ghetto style is growing on me :cool:

thx,

cory

You're A Peein" - See you next summer BC!!

June 14, 2004, 7:42 a.m.

A slice of aluminum can in the head tube sounds like a bad idea.

The best soultion would be to install a deeper cup like a Chirs King steel set, or a FSA, I think that they make a deep cup set just not sure which one. That is a sure fire fix, that will allow you to avoid warrinty all togather, unless you allredy had a deep cup.

Good luck.

June 14, 2004, 8:25 a.m.

Chris Kings makes a mega deep cup headset. That alone will fix it. :)

June 14, 2004, 2:49 p.m.

and the last case scenario, dont forget about our buddy, JB Weld.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

June 14, 2004, 4:08 p.m.

yeah, I have heard of jb weld working before.

alive as always

June 14, 2004, 5:06 p.m.

A guy i know had 2 steel collars turned up [HTML_REMOVED] pressed onto the top [HTML_REMOVED] bottom of the head tube - they're still working fine

June 14, 2004, 9:13 p.m.

have the hoel shibang faced and instal a deep set headset.

msn messanger= [email protected]

Originally posted by Coop
quick ! to the intolerance-mobile!

It didn't taste like easy mac at all. It tasted like Satan

June 14, 2004, 9:43 p.m.

I did the same thing as you did to my Cove Stiffee FR (ovalized headtube).

You have a few options:

1 - JB Weld - it is basically liquid metal that you mix like epoxy and glue a headset back into the frame. Hopefully it stays in there forever, so use a headset that is of decent quality.

2 - the tin can option in combination with JB Weld.

3 - used a deep cup headset like the King Steelset or new Syncros

4 - get the frame either crash replaced or warrantied.

I unfortunately had to pay for a crash replacement even though the cause of my troubles was using a Triple Crown Fork on the bike which I was told by the Cove was covered by warranty when I got the frame. I should have got that in writing because I was not pleased having to fork over $400 for my crash replacement frame.

I am now content to only use a single crown fork on my shiny new '04 Stiffee.

Good Luck.

Here is a picture of my new frame built up.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

June 14, 2004, 11:24 p.m.

HEADLOCK

June 14, 2004, 11:31 p.m.

Headlocks don't fix ovalized headsets. They are totally unecessary hardware.

Set your headset up, torque everything up. No need for extra crap bolted to your bike.

June 14, 2004, 11:46 p.m.

aw:( well it works for me haha

June 15, 2004, 1:06 a.m.

Thanks everyone!

I'll go with the JB then try the warrantee thing again but location is a bit of a factor there I'd say and then finish it off with the Chris King thing as this sounds like the winner!!

Man I will miss that pimped out Ghetto Chaaa ching crink crinkin :thepimp:

You're A Peein" - See you next summer BC!!

June 15, 2004, 1:37 a.m.

Hey cory…you dont need to buy the JB stuff and if that doesnt do it..you dont need to spend lotsa money on that deep set Chris King…(that nicolai headsets are deep cup too and theire less than half the price…..they dont have the :thepimp: factor though and theire HUGE….)

gimme a call mybe i can hook you up with either a custommade lower cup for your headset or some of that liquid metal stuff….

nothing here

June 15, 2004, 6:22 a.m.

Originally posted by HeadOverWheels
**Thanks everyone!

I'll go with the JB then try the warrantee thing again but location is a bit of a factor there I'd say and then finish it off with the Chris King thing as this sounds like the winner!!

Man I will miss that pimped out Ghetto Chaaa ching crink crinkin :thepimp: **

If you use JB weld, you will never get the head set out and thus may void any warrannty.

You will also make it so that you cannot get a deep cup head set in the bike. Do it right the first time with the King Steel Set.

June 15, 2004, 9:20 a.m.

Damn. I just started running a DC on my Stiffee as well. Cove said there wouldn't be any warranty issues…Thankfully I installed the new Diabolus deep cup headset….Nice Stiffee thedude. That looks like the exact same setup as mine, minus the fork. If I didn't go for the Slider, I think I would have picked up a ZI Freeride as well…