Rocky Mtn Bikes Made in Canada

Jan. 9, 2008, 9:31 p.m.

I have an older Rocky Solo ('04) road bike and I noticed on the Rocky site that under the 2004 bikes archive they state that all of their bikes were made by hand in BC. Does anyone know if this is true of all the '04 models?

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2004/index.aspx

There

:canada: :england:

Jan. 10, 2008, 3:37 a.m.

From knowledge only recently they move thier maiking to freakin Taiwan. :mad: So I'd say your bike was Made in BC, just like my '07.:woot:

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.

Jan. 10, 2008, 9:53 a.m.

i am lead to believe that the factory was in Abbotsford..
but lots of companys are moving over seas, cove is gone to tiwan, marzocchi is being built by SR suntour for 08, and cannondale is moving productions of their lower end bikes to asia aswell!
someone even told me devinci is moving over seas too!

Jan. 10, 2008, 11:27 a.m.

Yeti does it a tad differently

The short answer is that we manufacture in two facilities - our Colorado facility and a custom builder in Taiwan. But that's not the whole story. We are very committed to domestic manufacturing and have invested heavily over the years to equip our factory to produce the finest bicycles in the world. The production method in our Colorado facility is intentionally unhurried and precise. As such, we can only produce a limited number of frames in our facility - about 3,000 frames per year. As our products have continued to gain popularity, we have moved some production to other manufacturers. Our quality standards are very rigid so finding a qualified manufacturing facility in the USA was difficult. After trying to work domestically, we turned to a small custom frame builder in Taiwan. We have known Jeff, the owner for ten years and he has been very amenable to adopt similar techniques used in our Colorado factory. Jeff is also passionate about our rides, and has logged over 1500 miles on his 575 last year. Our engineers regularly visit the factory to ensure the frames are the highest quality possible.

These frames are then sent to us in Colorado where they go through a meticulous quality control process. Once they pass inspection, we do all the final assembly - press in the bearings and install the hardware, machined parts, and the rear shock. The manner in which we make frames takes more time, but we feel it ensures that all Yeti frames are the highest quality available.
Frames made in Colorado: 303 DH, AS-Rsl, Special Projects, and all race bikes and prototypes.
Frames made in Taiwan: ARC, AS-X, DJ, 575

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Jan. 10, 2008, 12:31 p.m.

Yup, got me an AS-X too … it's my all mtn ride.

:canada: :england:

Jan. 10, 2008, 3:35 p.m.

who wants to pay more for domestic production when there's cheaper offshore bikes?

who wants less money in their pocket, anyways? i'm gonna vote for cheap bikes and more money for me!

Jan. 10, 2008, 6:01 p.m.

i am lead to believe that the factory was in Abbotsford.

Annacis Island. 1322 Cliveden Avenue, to be exact. They appear to be building at least some bikes there.

Jan. 10, 2008, 6:06 p.m.

who wants to pay more for domestic production when there's cheaper offshore bikes?

who wants less money in their pocket, anyways? i'm gonna vote for cheap bikes and more money for me!

I personally would buy more expensive stuff that I know I can trust. For example Rocky has (had) highly experienced welders to build their '07 bikes. Now that most if not all of the bikes are made in Taiwan buy low paid people I can't trust that the frame has the same amount of quality and attention to detail.

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.

Jan. 10, 2008, 9:39 p.m.

I personally would buy more expensive stuff that I know I can trust. For example Rocky has (had) highly experienced welders to build their '07 bikes. Now that most if not all of the bikes are made in Taiwan buy low paid people I can't trust that the frame has the same amount of quality and attention to detail.

You do realize that if it's made overseas, it's machine welded…

Sober

Jan. 11, 2008, 8:25 a.m.

I know, one day people will realise that made in Taiwan isn't a bad thing…

Jan. 11, 2008, 11:46 a.m.

I know, one day people will realise that made in Taiwan isn't a bad thing…

OMG you mean anything that isn't made in good old Apple pie eating, baseball watching M'erica is the bestest EVER? My Super Duty F350 lifted with 44" Swampers is gunna run your little ass over for saying that.

Jan. 11, 2008, 12:30 p.m.

Those underaged asian kids are like an army of Terminators.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 11, 2008, 2:02 p.m.

someone even told me devinci is moving over seas too!

Indeed, but not the whole production only the entry level (sub 800$)

Jan. 11, 2008, 2:10 p.m.

Those underaged asian kids are like an army of Terminators.

Hey, it's keeping them off the streets.

Seriously, why is it that people think a welder works better here than overseas?

Jan. 11, 2008, 2:11 p.m.

My neighbuor used to weld bikes for Rocky here in BC. Was pretty cool when he told me that he laid the beads on the frame I ride.

Someone has a man crush.