Re and Re hubs

July 9, 2010, 10:55 p.m.

A few questions about replacing my bearings in my front and rear hubs.

The front one is a no name brand. The bearings are pretty close to done. I have re greased them a few times over the years just by removing the dust covers and using my fingers to force grease into the ball bearings. I see no way to get these bearing out of the hub to replace them. I have tried to move the sleeve in the middle of the hub to the side so I could pound out the bearing but I cant get it to move enough to get a purchase on the bearing with a punch.

Any ideas how to get these bearings out?

The rear hub is an atomic laboratories hub. Is there any way to get grease into this hub?

July 9, 2010, 11:35 p.m.

did u manage to get one of the front one out or are they both still in there? i'm asumming both are still there that's why the sleeve wouldn't budge. it must have been yrs since you've opened them up that's why they are like that. just spray liberal amount of WD40 on the whole thing and leave it like that overnight. if you use a fairly new flat head screw driver u may be able to sneak an edge to the bearing. the sleeve is aluminum (most likely) so it will give some. 3 decent hits spread over the perimeter should get that sleeve moving again. also remove the rotor out of the way so it's a bit easier to work w/ the hub.

as for the rear i think you'll need those flat wrenches.

July 10, 2010, 12:54 a.m.

Front Hub: you're right that you need to get a purchase from the opposite side with a punch (assuming crude garage tool basics) be patient and use a relatively light touch with a long punch and deadblow hammer (remove that disc of course). Take the removed bearings to a bearing supplier or LBS and get replacements. Don't try to disassemble a sealed bearing, it's just not worth it!

Rear Hub: That freehub body has to come off before you get to hub bearings, and there are a couple of different ways that happens! I could show you in person, by looking at your hub, but my very best advice is to use a LBS that doesn't gouge or make you wait 2 weeks for something that they can do in 15 minutes!

Eg: Whistler, I've used Evolution and Fanatyk and they were cheap and fast, I live in Bellingham and Fanatik is the same, can't hardly justify doing it myself! Ask around, if they act like they're working on a Ferrari.., leave.., if they act like they love to ride and understand that's all you want to do too.., that's your shop!

July 10, 2010, 11:31 p.m.

did u manage to get one of the front one out or are they both still in there? i'm asumming both are still there that's why the sleeve wouldn't budge. it must have been yrs since you've opened them up that's why they are like that. just spray liberal amount of WD40 on the whole thing and leave it like that overnight. if you use a fairly new flat head screw driver u may be able to sneak an edge to the bearing. the sleeve is aluminum (most likely) so it will give some. 3 decent hits spread over the perimeter should get that sleeve moving again. also remove the rotor out of the way so it's a bit easier to work w/ the hub.

as for the rear i think you'll need those flat wrenches.

No I didnt get the bearings out I just greased them and put it back together. The sleeve is not seized it just doesn't move out of the way much. I will try lubing it next time I have it apart.

Thanks for the help

Cheers

S

July 10, 2010, 11:36 p.m.

Front Hub: you're right that you need to get a purchase from the opposite side with a punch (assuming crude garage tool basics) be patient and use a relatively light touch with a long punch and deadblow hammer (remove that disc of course). Take the removed bearings to a bearing supplier or LBS and get replacements. Don't try to disassemble a sealed bearing, it's just not worth it!

Rear Hub: That freehub body has to come off before you get to hub bearings, and there are a couple of different ways that happens! I could show you in person, by looking at your hub, but my very best advice is to use a LBS that doesn't gouge or make you wait 2 weeks for something that they can do in 15 minutes!

Eg: Whistler, I've used Evolution and Fanatyk and they were cheap and fast, I live in Bellingham and Fanatik is the same, can't hardly justify doing it myself! Ask around, if they act like they're working on a Ferrari.., leave.., if they act like they love to ride and understand that's all you want to do too.., that's your shop!

Cheers thanks for the offer but I am no where near you at the moment. I have only ever had my bike in a shop once. I feel much better doing it myself. I guess I need some more tools to get the free hub off then.