New to night riding, what light to get?

Nov. 27, 2007, 5:50 p.m.

i run 10 flashlights taped to my fullface
works for me

Who can control rabbits. They breed like … er… horny small animals.

spelling has nothing to do with being straight.

http://fvmba.com/
http://transitionbikes.com/2007/index.cfm

:safrica:

Nov. 27, 2007, 7:11 p.m.

i run 10 flashlights taped to my fullface
works for me

I had to resort to that once as well. Forgot my battery for the head lamp in the car and realized at the top of the hill that I need to MacGyver something together, so I used some straps and tape. I ended up having two 3watt LED flashlights on my helmet. You would be really surprised just how good the lighting was.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Nov. 27, 2007, 7:30 p.m.

Lots of great tips in this thread. A couple posts refer to US mailorder for some way better pricing on the high end LED and HID's. If you check out the "inside line" forum, you'll get a surprise - the local shops seems to be finally listening. I've been pretty critical in the past of the discrepency in prices, and stuff like L[HTML_REMOVED]M HID's were prime examples of how far apart US MSRP was from CDN MSRP.

Anyways, I'll pass along kudo's to these shops who are stepping up! I don't want to threadjack too bad but I'd add in this for those considering new light purchase: new lights can go bad. Chargers don't work, batteries have a glitch etc etc., so this is one bike accessory where you might actually need warranty and/or after-sale support. Dealing with a local shop for this is likely going to be WAY easier that dealing through US mail order shop.

That's great to hear that the local shops are listening. When their prices fall into line with what should be reasonable for accessories like lights I will gladly step up and support them more than I already do. And for the most part I do deal with my LBS on certain components and service. Its just that some deals are too good to pass up, especially for us dudes trying to support our bike habits and our families at the same time.

Nov. 27, 2007, 9:28 p.m.

Replacement bulb for NiteRider HID light is $100 from an online store. Same bulb is $200 at an LBS. I think I'll skip the 100% markup. Heck, the whole light system is $270 online.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 27, 2007, 10:23 p.m.

I had to resort to that once as well. Forgot my battery for the head lamp in the car and realized at the top of the hill that I need to MacGyver something together, so I used some straps and tape. I ended up having two 3watt LED flashlights on my helmet. You would be really surprised just how good the lighting was.

I remember that night. Good times…

Team Shuttlewhore

Nov. 28, 2007, 4:29 p.m.

Just bought blackburn LED, great light for under 200, beats any of my buddies halogen systems. check em out at rocky cycle in surrey.

Shed head!