"The Light On! 800 LED bike light system includes[HTML_REMOVED]#8230;
Two 400 lumen LED lightheads
Two battery packs with integrated electronics
One Fast Smart Charger
One Helmet mount set
One handlebar mount set
Allen key
Carrying case
Price for complete system: $699 (free UPS Ground domestic shipping included). Get your Light On!"

for that price i'll stick with my niterider

Dec. 14, 2007, 12:28 p.m.

Yeah, I'm good with my Light [HTML_REMOVED] Motion Solo. I like the lower power consumption of LEDs, but I'd rather have something that runs a little shorter, but is brighter instead. Halogens for me until HIDs become affordable.

I do like stuff outta Portland, tho.

Primary rig: Devinci Ollie
AM rig: Norco Fluid LT2
Brodie Miscreant
'08 Buell XB12Ss Lightning

Thanks for letting me know what poo feels like.

Dec. 14, 2007, 12:29 p.m.

but you get an allen key and a snazzy case/lunch kit.

Chirp

Dec. 14, 2007, 1:15 p.m.

Yeah, I'm good with my Light [HTML_REMOVED] Motion Solo. I like the lower power consumption of LEDs, but I'd rather have something that runs a little shorter, but is brighter instead. Halogens for me until HIDs become affordable.

Have you seen a TriNewt in action? Can't imagine someone saying that having seen its light output…

-m

Dec. 14, 2007, 2:21 p.m.

LED will the shiz in a couple years …

for now maybe HIDs do have the advantage when cost is factored in.

but HID bulbs break and have a finite lifetime so don't forget to account for that when comparing LED vs. HID prices …

Dec. 14, 2007, 3 p.m.

The system in question is 800 Lumens - that's over double what your L[HTML_REMOVED]M Solo's output is (at least after a google search).

Dec. 14, 2007, 3:09 p.m.

The system in question is 800 Lumens - that's over double what your L[HTML_REMOVED]M Solo's output is (at least after a google search).

It may be 800 lumens, but it costs $700. LEDs also don't function well as spotlights, they're much better as fill lamps. If I had the cash I'd probably buy a nice LED system for fill and use my Solo Logic for spot.

Brodie Miscreant

Dec. 14, 2007, 7:32 p.m.

I picked up one of these Cygolite LED systems recently. Its tons better than the Niterider HID it replaces. LED technology has caught up to (and is slowly passing) HID in my opinion. Just compare the weight of this system to any HID and its not even a contest.

http://www.cygolite.com/2-Products/18-TridenX-LiIon.htm

Dec. 15, 2007, 6:41 p.m.

It may be 800 lumens, but it costs $700. LEDs also don't function well as spotlights, they're much better as fill lamps. If I had the cash I'd probably buy a nice LED system for fill and use my Solo Logic for spot.

I'm not sure where you are getting the "don't function well as spotlights" thing from. Spot vs. Flood depends primarily on the optics. Both wide and spot optics are available for LEDs (it is worth noting that most LED optics are designed around a specific type/style of diode).

22 Pride

Dec. 15, 2007, 6:43 p.m.

I don't know that HIDs will actually become much more affordable. Most likely, halogens will stick around for a while due to being simple and very cost effective. HIDs might actually start becoming obsolete in the not too far future and as LEDs become accepted they will take over from HIDs and will be more readily available and affordable.

22 Pride

Dec. 15, 2007, 7:11 p.m.

I don't know that HIDs will actually become much more affordable. Most likely, halogens will stick around for a while due to being simple and very cost effective. HIDs might actually start becoming obsolete in the not too far future and as LEDs become accepted they will take over from HIDs and will be more readily available and affordable.

Yeah, I'm not sold on HIDs either. I've seen them and they are definitely super bright, but it's a lot of hardware and LED tech is advancing very quickly. The power consumption of LEDs make them very attractive, but the cost is still prohibitive right now (for the real powerhouses). I have absolutely no complaints about my halogen system at this time with the exception of runtime.

Brodie Miscreant

Dec. 16, 2007, 5:29 p.m.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte[HTML_REMOVED]StoreType=BtoC[HTML_REMOVED]Count1=87597072[HTML_REMOVED]Count2=4737496

check out the 600L - their price includes delivery and 2 batteries - and are easily as good as hid - I have one and am very pleased.

customer service seems to be really good too.

Dec. 18, 2007, 2:33 p.m.

anything outta portland carries a 200[HTML_REMOVED]#37; 'hip' tariff these days.

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.