Lighter Dual Suspension Bikes?

Oct. 22, 2006, 5:22 p.m.

coilair . . . . .

Oct. 22, 2006, 6:05 p.m.

Kona Dawg Deelux. 5 inches front [HTML_REMOVED] Rear weights 31 lbs.approx $3000.00

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Oct. 23, 2006, 5:47 a.m.

I never realised how much fun a smaller bike could be! You can't huck the massive things you would on a 9" monster, but I haven't felt the need to, I've been enjoying longer, faster flowier rides and getting much more satisfaction, and longer rides, out of it.

thats exactly it, on my Wraith i've been looking at the trails differently, less about finding stunts to ride, and more about climbing, descending, rolling the flowly singletracks

lighter bikes change your perception of what a ride can be?

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Oct. 23, 2006, 8:31 a.m.

I never realised how much fun a smaller bike could be! You can't huck the massive things you would on a 9" monster, but I haven't felt the need to, I've been enjoying longer, faster flowier rides and getting much more satisfaction, and longer rides, out of it.

thats exactly it, on my Wraith i've been looking at the trails differently, less about finding stunts to ride, and more about climbing, descending, rolling the flowly singletracks

lighter bikes change your perception of what a ride can be?

They absolutely do. I've been looking for more natural trails and discovering how much I enjoy climbing again. It's a totally different style of riding, and I for one am finding it to me a much purer experience.

Oct. 23, 2006, 7:16 p.m.

They absolutely do. I've been looking for more natural trails and discovering how much I enjoy climbing _again. It's a totally different style of riding, and I for one am finding it to me a much purer experience_.

Which is much the way mtn. biking was when I left off 10-12 yrs ago.

This past spring I bought a 30lb dualie and am I ever glad I waited 'cause-

1.) rear suspension and shock valving have evolved to the point where dualies actually work………..:grinno:

and

2.) I ain't stuck wit a 50lb garage ornament! :P

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 23, 2006, 9:48 p.m.

Which is much the way mtn. biking was when I left off 10-12 yrs ago.

This past spring I bought a 30lb dualie and am I ever glad I waited 'cause-

1.) rear suspension and shock valving have evolved to the point where dualies actually work………..:grinno:

and

2.) I ain't stuck wit a 50lb garage ornament! :P

I've been going back and riding trails I used to enjoy on my old XC hardtail and they are fun once again, it's great. Yet another case of what's old is new (with a twist).

Oct. 23, 2006, 11:31 p.m.

29 lbs, $2999…

X0/X9, Juicy 5, Revelation/Ario 2.2 lock out ft and rr, full Syncros kit (Bar/ stem/ post/ rims/ tires)

Booyah!

There is a link to a pic at the very bottom of this page:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=85126[HTML_REMOVED]page=2

I have noooo idea how to link it otherwise…

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Oct. 24, 2006, 3:19 a.m.

Kona Coilair Supreme, air fr/back dhx 5.0, ballin' parts. Really light really bling.

Meh this is sooo biased we are on a Specialized sponsored web forum,
my comment will prob get nuked. hahahaha

Jerry's comment definatly sounded like a shameless plug.:rolleyes:

In Session

Oct. 24, 2006, 4:42 a.m.

Kona Coilair Supreme, air fr/back dhx 5.0, ballin' parts. Really light really bling.

Meh this is sooo biased we are on a Specialized sponsored web forum,
my comment will prob get nuked. hahahaha

Jerry's comment definatly sounded like a shameless plug.:rolleyes:

Specialized has a warranty and a good suspension design compared to Kona. I'll plug Specialized as much as I can cuz the company/people/bikes rock.

:canada:

Oct. 24, 2006, 7:12 a.m.

I just can't get over how many companies are still trying to market bikes w/out full length seattubes in this category. There is simply no excuse for companies like Norco, Specialized, Scott to be doing so when most these companies have shown they can design bikes with seat adjustment taken into consideration.

There's a wonderful invention called the telescopic seatpost.

I've been using them for years on DH bikes, and now my Six as well. If you consider 2 adjustments a hassle, you're just being picky.

I use the cheap Axiom ones. On my Team DH it's a 27.2mm (quite small) and the bike has a very short seat tube. I can still get it tall enough for climbing Fromme and low enough for DH. Even at 27.2 it's strong enough for my ~200lbs. I've gone through seats, but never a seatpost.

Most all mountian bikes have a longer and larger diameter seat tube, making strength a non issue.

Oct. 24, 2006, 8:18 a.m.

Specialized has a warranty and a good suspension design compared to Kona. I'll plug Specialized as much as I can cuz the company/people/bikes rock.

I'll agree w/ that, lifetime warranty, 8" of butter even in brake stutter. The only
downside is they are expensive compared to SC or Kona.

^As far as having too short of seat post. I don't even need a telescoping
seat post. I'm 6' and I have pretty long legs I have plenty of extension when
I'm going up, and any further down the seat hits the tire on the harsh ones.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Oct. 24, 2006, 6:28 p.m.

I have a Rocky ETSX 30 and love it, descends super well climbs just ask good as any other bike like it was a prefect bike for the test of metal, I did get a small crack in the frame ( i was riding 19th hole so what can you expect) and I got a upgraded frame back in under 2 weeks with a new rear shock. My friend was riding it the other day and he was very suprised with how well it decended and connerd and other people ive talked to who have the same bike feel the same.

Oct. 25, 2006, 4:35 a.m.

Well I was only kinda joking, sorry I did not mean to be rude. I will just
plug, and ride what ever I get helped with. Specialized are dope bikes for
sheezie. I would ride a KHS or Cambodian Tire bike if I got a deal on one,
broke ass thuggs from the broke-anagan aren't too picky what they ride.

I am digging the Kona cuz I can call it "The Pink and the Stink" gyaaa

In Session

Oct. 25, 2006, 1:14 p.m.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Allmtn_Full_Suspension/product_126818.shtml

says it all…

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com

Oct. 29, 2006, 11:49 a.m.

I'll plug the Yeti 575. I have change my MkIII 2005 for a 575 late this summer. I was only able to do a ride before an injury. The bike is lighter by 3lbs than my MkIII and it's an adept climber. I am certain that I can lower the weight a bit more with a better set of wheels and switching the DHX5.0 air for a RP3. I am using a Pike454 in front. During my only ride I had to climb a long access road with steep water bars for 20min or so and some gnarlier singletrack with roots and rocks. Then it's a downhill ride with more rocks, some off-camber. I had done this trail on my MkIII earlier in the year. The 575 felt faster and nimbler yet very plush. Depsite being a non virtual pivot suspension I was still able to climb the same stuff as on my MkIII.

S.