Juicy 5's vs El Camino's (should be easy choice but yea...)

April 6, 2007, 8:08 a.m.

So the title pretty much explains all, which should i get.

The juicys have been on my shopping list for a while now and i have the cash so i was raring to go, as i went to order them an offer popped up on ChainReactionCycles for either a pair if 06 El camino's 8" for

Yeah, deep penetration is pretty key. Unfortunately it can be hard to achieve, lubrication can definitely help in some cases.

April 6, 2007, 10:05 a.m.

My Sx trail has Juicy's on it, they are a great brake with loads of power and decent modulation, the lever's are comfy and I enjoy them. When I bought my Wilson, it came wth the El Caminos on it, I really did not enjoy these brakes after coming off of the juicys, tehy were grabby, and very finicky, the reach adjustmnet screw would come undone after 10 minutes of riding and they seemed to get air in the lines very easy. I had to bleed the Caminos twice in a 2 month period while my Juicys are on their second full season without needin a bleed yet. I recently swapped out the Camino's on my Wilson for a set of the Saint brakes and really love the Saints. I find they have a better lever then the caminos, or the juicy's, have as much power as either, and modulate the best out of the 3. I would have to recommend the Saints out of those three.

April 6, 2007, 10:36 a.m.

i know hayes have a bad rep for having terrible modulation

El Caminos also have a rep (deservedly) for absence of stopping power. Even if you went Hayes, I would go HFX-Mags or even HFX-9's before el caminos. That being said, why choose either when there are strong, comparable priced brakes such as Avid Juicy 5s available?

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

April 6, 2007, 10:39 a.m.

I saw this deal on a set of Saints about a week ago on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Saint-Disc-Brake-New_W0QQitemZ110107942851QQihZ001QQcategoryZ58082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller has sold a couple more of them since then. Actually, one of them was purchased this morning. I don't know why the price is so low. It just looks like it's missing rotors and mounting bolts. Now the seller has an auction with all of that stuff, but is selling it for considerably more. It may be worth contacting the seller to see if he has any more of those $200 Saints left.

April 6, 2007, 11 a.m.

I would go with the caminos.

April 6, 2007, 11:07 a.m.

do you have any real reason as to why he should go with the hayes? If you dont then don't say anything at all.
and don't just say "I heard they suck"

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

April 6, 2007, 12:01 p.m.

judging by all the other opinions i would say you are wrong. so yea guys now thjat caminos are outta the question. heres a toughie, saints or juicys? i hear the saints have a far harder lever feel to the "squishy" juicys?

Yeah, deep penetration is pretty key. Unfortunately it can be hard to achieve, lubrication can definitely help in some cases.

April 6, 2007, 12:56 p.m.

i havent used saints .. but my juicy 5 is awesome.

ive got a pair for sale 8 inch for 190cad

April 6, 2007, 1:16 p.m.

NO the Saint lever feel is defintely not hard, the juicy's is actually a tad harder. THe Saints are a better finesse brake, they modulate wonderfully, I love my juicy's, but I find them downright grabby compared to the saints.

April 6, 2007, 1:16 p.m.

judging by all the other opinions i would say you are wrong. so yea guys now thjat caminos are outta the question. heres a toughie, saints or juicys? i hear the saints have a far harder lever feel to the "squishy" juicys?

The juicy's do feel squisher.

One thing i like about the Juicy 7's are that they're easy to dial in the front to be identical to the rear with the adjuster. The 5's don't have this feature as i'm sure you know.

The Saint's i've had are pretty much set and forget. Trouble free. They come with two sets of pads (one metallic, one resin) so you can adjust the braking a good bit by runing variations (i ran one metal , one resin). They use minearl oil which is not corrosive, doesn't asorb water like typical dot fluid, and won't eat your paint. I never once had to bleed any of my shimano disc brakes, not the same with juicy's to keep them feeling the same.

The Juicy's i've had in the past tend to require a little more maintance (more routine bleeding) and some people have juicy's that howl pretty loudly.

The saints do have a firmer feel as you noted at the lever. They still modulate really well, but they don't feel as squishy as the juicy's. If they do feel squisher/softer/mushier than juicys, they're probably bleed incorrectly.

Both are good brakes, i'd probably pick the saints over the 5's though.

-sicklines.com

April 6, 2007, 1:25 p.m.

The 3 months I ve had el caminos, I had the best time on brakes. I thought they stopped pretty well, until the power faded away with some time. One big catch here is that I have ridden only Hayes (Purple, Mag) before and had nothing else to compare to. The EC did feel better than those hayes but surely didn't stop as well as my riding buddies' brakes.

Then I made the swtich to Juicy 7's and I'm never going back. The power is just incredible compared to Hayes and I'm never going back. (Hayes never made me feel that)

oh hai!

April 6, 2007, 1:47 p.m.

Personal preference. Do you rather support the sram camp or the shimano camp? :)

I personally love my 5s and 7s and wouldn't go with any other brake. I have riding buddies who have sworn off juicys and went with the saints and have never been happier.

I like how the juicys react and how the lever pull feels.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

April 6, 2007, 2:23 p.m.

I had a pair of Hayes EL Crappos and they were the worse thing I have ever bought (even worse them my SPV sherman sliders). The lever throw is so long " lever pump". The lever reach would move in and out as they heated up and cooled off and as the adjuster screw would back off (why do you think they made it easy to get at with that rubber bit they put on it). The power and modulation was not as good as my Juicys.

I have Juicy 7 on my freeride bike and juicy 5 on my XC bike and they are both the best brakes I have ever owned. The only real difference between then is one has that fancy red speed dial nob and the other one is manual.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

April 6, 2007, 3:43 p.m.

if you are riding el caminos you should be riding the first generation magura julies instead because they probably work better for longer than those wierd ass hayes. never have i seen more people lose their brakes when riding in high alpine areas or just for no reason anytime anywhere or had to bleed a more finicky brake. if you want crazy modulation/powa when you want it go for the saints…juicy sevens are grabbier but also quite crazy powerful.. both pretty low maintenance. my personal choice to ride is the saints/lx/xt brakes.

- bike sexual

April 6, 2007, 10:43 p.m.

Having had Saints, Mags, El Camino's, Hopes, and finally Juicy 7's, I would steer you toward the Avid's.

Easy to install, reasonably easy to bleed, and awesome feel. Don't let price be the major deciding factor. Cheap is not always a good deal!

FYI I'm 260lbs with gear so brakes are always a priority for me.