Best Lube And Housing

July 9, 2003, 10:59 p.m.

What would be the best lube for hot, dry, and very dusty conditions? I have used white lightning, but im looking for something better. It's so dusty around here, you can lube the chain in the moring and half way through the day it's already sqeaking like it's been sitting in the rain for a while. ok maybe a little exagerated but you get the picture. Some roadie dude suggested aahh..Bowshield i think it was:???:

And housing, is jagwire housing any good? for derailers btw.

THE UPRISING

July 9, 2003, 11:28 p.m.

yeah i think jagwires good and i use tri flow lube

tibial spine fracture.

July 9, 2003, 11:32 p.m.

Hot paraffin (wax) dip. Super clean and doesn't collect dirt at all. Only downside is you have to be able to remove your chain so no shimano chains.

July 10, 2003, 12:27 a.m.

Originally posted by flowrider
Hot paraffin (wax) dip. Super clean and doesn't collect dirt at all. Only downside is you have to be able to remove your chain so no shimano chains.

Just dip the whole bike… :D

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 10, 2003, 12:33 a.m.

Originally posted by flowrider

I am really liking White Lightning for the dusty conditions we are experiencing now on the Shore. I would recommend applying before and after every ride, which means that you can go through a bottle quite quickly.

Also, the wax does build up after a few days so I dunk it in degreaser and scrub the chain at least once a week. With White Lightning, a chain cleaner probably works better than soaking the chain in degreaser, which is another advantage in terms of convenience.

BTW, your chain should be generally noisier with White Lightening, because the oil in other formulas is simply masking the drivetrain noise.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 10, 2003, 12:41 a.m.

I use super thin oil - right now I think I have some cheap Axiom lube that's very light weigh. It lasts longer than the waxes and teflon based products, and the chain cleans easily with either a basic soak/scrub, or with a chain cleaning device.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 10, 2003, 4:14 p.m.

Well, don't know how dry it is up there in canada, at the shore right now, but considering what i've seen in the videos(never been up there) a dry spell for you guys would be like spring time for us;)

Where can i get this parafin wax stuff?
I've heard of doing this, any one do it? What were the results?

The roadie dude i was talking to about lube and stuff said that tri-flow actually collected alot of dirt, so im trying to shy away from that.

I've been using a quick rinse off of my chain with soap to get off the caked on dirt every few days, and after that i shove it in a bottle full of water, with engine degreaser in it, and a little more soap. It actually gets it pretty clean, at least i think so:)

THE UPRISING

July 10, 2003, 4:36 p.m.

I think tri flow is too thin for chains but I like it to lube cables and qr's. The best chain lube I've ever used is Pro Link. MEC have it as do some shops. Its all I use now and my chains are going longer. It doesn't gunk up much at all unlike wax based lubes and it works in the wet too. That "roadie" stuff is Boeshield. developed by Boeing but I've never seen it up here. I've heard of it though.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 10, 2003, 5:50 p.m.

Pedros Dry lube… nuff said. Works here in Kamloops and it is very, very dry. In fact I don't think it gets much drier anywhere else… desert climate.

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. :scream:

July 10, 2003, 8:25 p.m.

I get a litre of winter weight chainsaw oil for 2$ from canuck tire,i fill up all them expensive little bottle's lying around and i got chain lube to spare

then I just replace the chain every season

I could spend more or wash it in a mec washer which I gotta buy and I gotta buy the degreaser and I am not totaly convinced the lube gets back in the chain when you wash it out so I figure I am probanbly even on what I DON'T spend and just getting a new pc 59 when it stretches enough … which is once a season