An open letter to Giro

Jan. 8, 2011, 8:48 a.m.

I must admit most people I've heard talking favourably about POC stuff talk primarily about the clean designs and aesthetics rather than the safety features - me included. The safety features have to be there too but it's the designs that are catching a lot of people's attention.

Exactly.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Jan. 8, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

No, it looks horrible. It's the #1 reason that brands like POC are gaining some traction.

I just bought a Giro Hex purely because it had the least ugly colour available, but it still showed up with a few gross "
design" lines. Ugly, definitely going to get some rattlecanning at some point.

ps. that Troy Lee actually looks pretty good.

Quote for irony, because you bought this:

And the colour actually looks like this:

hatehatehatehate…..

Jan. 8, 2011, 9:54 a.m.

When it is 40 degrees up in Whistler I really look forward to putting on a black full face helmet…

Any idea why the manufacturers don't make full face [HTML_REMOVED] XC helmets in lighter colours that don't get as hot?

I couldn't find a chart for helmets, but since croquet balls are also hard plastic this gives you the idea:

I love my Xen because it is earth colors and seams to stay cool better

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 8, 2011, 10:13 a.m.

If you want a cool looking helmet give my buddy Jeremy a shout._

PAIN INC

_

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 8, 2011, 12:40 p.m.

The POC cortex is a pretty reasonable looking lid.

Jan. 8, 2011, 1:22 p.m.

Quote for irony, because you bought this:

And the colour actually looks like this:

hatehatehatehate…..

Hey man, "least ugly" still means ugly.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Jan. 8, 2011, 1:56 p.m.

This would have to be a small volume thing a few here a few there. This is one of his projects. Looking for more pics.

Very first project

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Jan. 8, 2011, 2:09 p.m.

I've often entertained the idea of custom helmet painting. Would the additional weight be a factor? (seriously, this isn't a weight weenie concern, I just have not idea how much paint there'd be and the helmet is where you really notice these things).

How about cost?

Pics would be cool as well. Perhaps he's offering a kickback to Giro for creating such hideous designs that are begging to be covered up.

Paint would go on in very thin coats so I would estimate that we are talking in the few gram range of added weight. I have a message into artsy buddy. I will get pricing and turn around time.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Jan. 8, 2011, 11:24 p.m.

both CF models doesn't look that bad IMO. the TLD pajama designs (jersey/pants) look a lot worse IMO. Solid colours show dirt and paint chips really easily.

the neon green and red of the non-CF remedy are just plain fugly.

Jan. 10, 2011, 10:59 p.m.

I want this painted onto my helmet (from the 10,000 Days artwork):

www.vitalmtb.com

Jan. 11, 2011, 9:02 a.m.

I must admit most people I've heard talking favourably about POC stuff talk primarily about the clean designs and aesthetics rather than the safety features - me included. The safety features have to be there too but it's the designs that are catching a lot of people's attention.

for what's it's worth, an ex-gf had a really gnarly crash this summer that resulted in plates and screws to repair a severely broken neck, she was wearing a POC helmet and said injuries notwithstanding, she didn't get a concussion and never had any headaches or anything, that's a pretty big testament to the quality of the POC stuff in my opinion.