A nice bike that looks undesirable?

Dec. 29, 2014, 12:32 p.m.

u need 2 'TRACKER CHIP EQUIPPED' stickers for the top tube, in addition to hockey tape and stickers to make it look like shit

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 29, 2014, 8:58 p.m.

based on the pics you have posted .none of the options posted will work for you.
IMO you need a 175 dollars CL special with a few NON shiny drive train parts added for your own bike bling fantasy to be fulfilled .
thieves will take anything clean , newer than ten years old , and seemingly running better than their shit at any chance they get.
Pick a lower risk spot to lock yer bike . use more than one type of lock . and take ever fucken sticker off yer ride that you can.
NO quick releases either.

Dec. 29, 2014, 10:54 p.m.

based on the pics you have posted .none of the options posted will work for you.

i disagree, i think all of those bikes will do nicely for the purpose you're after

IMO you need a 175 dollars CL special with a few NON shiny drive train parts added for your own bike bling fantasy to be fulfilled .

i disagree again. unless you're patient and skilled and lucky, a $175 road bike purchased from craigslist these days will likely have you hating life, every morning and afternoon

Pick a lower risk spot to lock yer bike . use more than one type of lock .

agreed. get a good lock, and a backup cable, and make sure the bike is locked up somewhere with lots of foot traffic, and the wheels and frame are secure. if you are pranoid, there are secure options at ubc: you can leave your bike at the kitchen for a fee, rend a bike locker, or a number of buildings have secure bike storage now

NO quick releases either.

agree again. make sure you strip-proof your wheels and seat post if they come with qr's

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 30, 2014, 6:56 p.m.

There is an apollo grand sport on Craigslist for $200 it would be ideal

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Dec. 31, 2014, 7:28 p.m.

You should consider a folding bike.

Jan. 2, 2015, 1:18 p.m.

There is an apollo grand sport on Craigslist for $200 it would be ideal

Ohh, nice. That would be perfect. Too big though, that one is 64cm frame, and I think I'd max out at a 60cm. I'm 6'2".

Jan. 2, 2015, 1:19 p.m.

You should consider a folding bike.

I think a folding bike would work in that I could bring it inside, but for my commute (13K, some massive hills) it won't really do the trick.

Jan. 2, 2015, 6:40 p.m.

wasn't sure if that was a gag suggestion , but there are some pretty nice folders out there . check out " brompton " .

not cheap though .

there is a guy i have rando'd with who puts on some seriously big mileage on a very nicely equipped folder . he's an older guy who can really move along at a good clip . . . doesn't seem to be handicapped by the smaller wheels at all .

you just gotta ask yourself if you could handle the geek factor . . .

Jan. 2, 2015, 8:18 p.m.

wasn't sure if that was a gag suggestion , but there are some pretty nice folders out there . check out " brompton " .

not cheap though .

there is a guy i have rando'd with who puts on some seriously big mileage on a very nicely equipped folder . he's an older guy who can really move along at a good clip . . . doesn't seem to be handicapped by the smaller wheels at all .

you just gotta ask yourself if you could handle the geek factor . . .

Wasn't sure if it was a gag either. Decided to not be a jerk and assume he was serious.

Jan. 6, 2015, 8:45 p.m.

Serious suggestion.

Jan. 7, 2015, 10:22 a.m.

Brompton good choice, I am 6'4" and it is a little unnerving be up that high on little wheels and you would need the XL seat post. They are a bit spendy once you get a couple of gears and fenders etc but an awesome choice especially if you need to mix up your journey with transit.

I've had some friends on Vancouver Island who have toured their bike fridays all over the US and Europe, they have great photos of the bikes getting serviced at the Bike Friday HQ (Serious customer service)

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

Some ferry commuter has a Bike Friday over here. Allows him to not get dinged with a $2 stowage fee for his bike, since its now a carryon

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.