iron workers

Feb. 9, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

So how long has the East side, sidewalk of the Iron workers bridge been boarded up? Its not completed so i guess not long. Any one know why?

WTF, Over?

Feb. 9, 2014, 8:02 p.m.

Construction Updates
Sidewalk and safety fence contract awarded to Graham Infrastructure.
Preliminary works needed in preparation for the sidewalk replacement and safety fence installation are ongoing, these works include adjustments to signage and lighting, site preparations, scaffolding erection and approach maintenance. Once these works are complete the Contractor will begin the sidewalk demolition.

Scheduled temporary and permanent sidewalk closures are as follows;

Long-term closure of the East sidewalk Jan 13 – Aug 8, 2014
Detour signage will be in place which will direct cyclists and pedestrians during the closures.

During night work only, a 1 to 2 lane closure will be in effect on the bridge from 10:00pm to 5:00am.

The project completion date is March 31, 2015.

Please visit www.DriveBC.ca and follow us on Twitter for ongoing construction updates.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Feb. 9, 2014, 9:41 p.m.

Fanstastic detailed answer. Thanks.

WTF, Over?

Feb. 9, 2014, 11:38 p.m.

I see'd a guy riding the wrong way on the west sidewalk. Is that what you meant?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 10, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

The West sidewalk will undergo the same process from Aug 2014 - Mar 2015. The open side is 2-way (and both had been so for a while). I understand that after the renos are complete, they will each be 1-way only (?).

Feb. 10, 2014, 3:12 p.m.

I see'd a guy riding the wrong way on the west sidewalk. Is that what you meant?

Wat?

WTF, Over?

Feb. 10, 2014, 7:41 p.m.

The West sidewalk will undergo the same process from Aug 2014 - Mar 2015. The open side is 2-way (and both had been so for a while). I understand that after the renos are complete, they will each be 1-way only (?).

Is this the official plan Duncan? Would be a good idea I think, but I can understand some people not being in favor of it

Feb. 10, 2014, 9:18 p.m.

Is this the official plan Duncan? Would be a good idea I think, but I can understand some people not being in favor of it

From slides from the Highways Ministry Community Consultation website

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayprojects/IronWorkers/community_consultation.htm

It says:
"Bicycles travel in same direction as vehicles in the adjacent roadway."

April 9, 2014, 12:20 p.m.

Scooter on Iron Workers' sidewalk, heading north on Saturday morning.

Does this happen a lot?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 9, 2014, 1:03 p.m.

Scooter on Iron Workers' sidewalk, heading north on Saturday morning.

Does this happen a lot?

Gas or electric? Been buzzed a couple of times by 'electric bikes' coming across the Lion's Gate and on the causeway. They really don't leave much room when they rip by at 60kph.

April 9, 2014, 1:55 p.m.

Gas or electric? Been buzzed a couple of times by 'electric bikes' coming across the Lion's Gate and on the causeway. They really don't leave much room when they rip by at 60kph.

Looked like a regular gas scooter to me (not an e-bike).

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 9, 2014, 2:37 p.m.

I've been plastered to the railings of the IWMB a couple of times getting past an old guy on a massive pedal/electric moped about the size of a Vespa.

April 9, 2014, 2:39 p.m.

Those things scare the bejeebus outta me sometimes. They need a fake noise maker in them. If I had one, I would want it to sound like this

April 10, 2014, 8:02 a.m.

hasn't happened to me often duncan , but i let those guys pass when it is safe and convenient for me

April 10, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

I have run up to scooters on the Lion's Gate a few times. There was an overweight fellow that rode a yellow one that I saw several times. He'd bottom out the suspension on the bumps on the bridge and on the ramp coming off. I passed him though on the up, but he could do a decent enough clip going down that I was content to follow him and watch the thing wallow. I was generally on my road bike though which is way faster than a mountain bike.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.