Mastering MTB Skills Review

Sept. 26, 2006, 10:05 p.m.

Sour grapes?

Sept. 26, 2006, 10:16 p.m.

If you can't say it to someone's face, then don't say it online without a real name attached.

Sept. 26, 2006, 10:17 p.m.

Certainly, it helps a lot in some sections. Still, I find that it's the best to complement the book with coaching, especially in sections concerning jumps and pumping. Certainly, some advices work, but some is just much harder to work it out over the words. Especially the skinnies. A whole chapter on jumping smooth jumps that aren't that common in North Shore as opposed to maybe one page of skinnies that are far more common? I'd say the book fits well for a general range, but it seems to be it's more single-track/jump/flow oriented than slow and technical.

Just my two cents.

Sept. 26, 2006, 10:17 p.m.

Are boards not about being able to speak your mind anonymously.I agree that without proof people should drop this, but being anonymous is what boards are all about.

yeah but this is kind of serious dont you think? the bike community is actually kind of small, and a lot of us know each other. if the allegations are true, then the people behind them should have the balls to step forward and back up their remarks.

Sept. 26, 2006, 10:21 p.m.

Internet. Serious business.

Really. Most (as in not all) of the internet users are not very serious in term of researches. Considering that one of the most commonly referred source of information is an online encloypedia that can be easily altered by any one with an account and be not caught for a long time, I wouldn't bet on getting this issue solved anytime soon.

Drop it.

Sept. 29, 2006, 4:35 p.m.

yeah but this is kind of serious dont you think? the bike community is actually kind of small, and a lot of us know each other. if the allegations are true, then the people behind them should have the balls to step forward and back up their remarks.

Every post I have read on this matter as far as Lee ripping someone's material off is interesting. I was coached by Blair Lombardi of San Anselmo California about 2 years ago. She was very helpful for me. Through getting to know her it came out that she had this interaction with Lee McCormack, who she had extensively coached, and he was writing a book with her material, but not with her permission, and in the end all she hoped for was some credit on the stuff she had taught Lee. Needless to say she never got any credit!! To make a long story short, according to Blair she had to call Lee McCormacks publisher and threaten to sue if he didn't give her credit…and rightly so as she has spent alot of time on research and coaching top riders from around the world, and thousands of us regular joes and janes out there. I know for a fact that her info is in that book, but changed….believe me it does not have the same impact.

Now for those of you who don't know who Blair Lombardi is, you need to do some homework because she has been doing this longer then anyone else in the industry. She also knows more about the Brain and why we react to situations. Ever been riding your bike down technical stuff and just get scared and grab a handful of brake, there is a scientific reason for this. Through logical process and analysis she figured out how the Balance Sensory system in your head works with riding your bike and what you doing on the bike. This is very advanced stuff that out of respect for Blair I will not divulge.

I know Blair Lombardi very well and consider her one of my closest friends in the cycling community and I can tell you there is a whole lot more to this story and to her credit she did nothing wrong in a karmic way. This is still a very small industry, I know others are aware of the injustices that have happened, apparently not just to Blair…I am unsure why nobody is speaking out or how people can sit there and say it is just mountainbiking…..this maybe true to you but to these coaches it is a way of life and something that they have slaved over to help others. I was brought up with a strong sense of right and wrong, I know the difference.

In my heart I believe that Blair belongs in the MTB hall of fame, she has spent a life time in this sport helping others and alot of the modern techniques we use today were discovered by her and all she wanted was to be respected with the credit due. Blair Lombardi still resides in San Anselmo California which is in Marin County (birth place of the MTB bike by some accounts) She has coached some top caliber riders, Jemina Florit, Colin Bailey, Missy Giove, Marla Streb, Gary Fisher, Todd Bosch, Steve Wentz, Cole Bangert, and many many others. As far as Canadians, I think there are only two of us…

There is so much to tell about the wonderful character of Blair Lomabrdi. As you can see I am passionate about her because she worked hard and didn't step on anyone to get where she is. Even with Fibro Mialga, she stilll carries on the best she can and turn good riders into great confident riders. I encourage people to do the research on Blair….if you would like more infomation from me just let me know, I would be happy to share. You will be amazed.

Aaron Clark, Fairmont Hot Springs BC

The truth will set you free, but it will piss you off first!!

Oct. 4, 2006, 10:32 p.m.

Hi, it's Lee McCormack again.

I won't put any more energy into this, but for your consideration:

- I am a highly experienced, award-winning writer and informational graphics artist. I was on the team that won the 1998 Pulitzer Prize for public service. Mountain biking is just one of hundreds of subjects I've tackled: plane crashes, economics, stem cells, knee surgeries, and on and on. When it comes to figuring things out and explaining them to a mass audience, I am about as pro as it gets.

- I am also a highly experienced, race-winning mountain biker. I'm no Shaums March or Brian Lopes, but I am a quick semipro racer, and that puts me above the 99th percentile among mountain bike riders. When it comes to riding a bike, figuring out how to ride a bike and explaining/teaching how to ride a bike, I know my stuff.

- I wrote the book with a guy named Brian Lopes. He's a 9-time US national champion, 3-time World Cup Champion and 3-time World Champion across several racing disciplines. When it comes to bike riding, he knows his stuff.

I sent this URL to Brian, and here is his response:

First off I want to say that I never go on these chat lines, but Lee sent me the link to read some of the comments some of you guys are writing.

Some of you are saying a coach is better than a book. I agree with you, but show me a good coach you can hire for $25 that will give you that much information? To have a good coach teach you everything in this book would take weeks and cost you thousands of dollars.

The others who are bitching about giving credit to certain people, get over it. Lee approached me about doing this book and I personally spent a lot of time going over [HTML_REMOVED] explaining everything in the book. Lee used all the info I gave him and put it into words for everyone to comprehend. I think I have the credentials to prove I know what I am teaching. I'm pretty sure Shaums doesn't know anything I don't know about riding a bike. I've known Shaums for a long time and know he is a good rider, but who did Shaums learn it from? I guess we missed the boat when I didn't give credit to my dad for teaching me how to balance. And who the hell is Gene Hamilton, Joan Jones, [HTML_REMOVED] Blair Lombardi? I doubt very seriously that these three riders even knew half the techniques in this book.

Anyways, I don't have the time to sit on these chat lines, defending every person that thinks he/she knows more they really know. All I know is that Lee and I discussed everything in this book and I know what I am talking about. You may have heard the same explanation from whomever on how to "do a gate start" or "jump a double" - great!!! You know what, there are many guys out there that can explain how to do that stuff, but don't discredit Lee, because my involvement is all the credit he needs to write the #1 selling how-to book.

End of story. GO RIDE and STOP bitching.

Oct. 5, 2006, 6:27 a.m.

who is this brain lopes fellow?

Oct. 5, 2006, 12:51 p.m.

Hi, it's Lee McCormack again.

I won't put any more energy into this, but for your consideration:

- I am a highly experienced, award-winning writer and informational graphics artist. I was on the team that won the 1998 Pulitzer Prize for public service. Mountain biking is just one of hundreds of subjects I've tackled: plane crashes, economics, stem cells, knee surgeries, and on and on. When it comes to figuring things out and explaining them to a mass audience, I am about as pro as it gets.

- I am also a highly experienced, race-winning mountain biker. I'm no Shaums March or Brian Lopes, but I am a quick semipro racer, and that puts me above the 99th percentile among mountain bike riders. When it comes to riding a bike, figuring out how to ride a bike and explaining/teaching how to ride a bike, I know my stuff.

- I wrote the book with a guy named Brian Lopes. He's a 9-time US national champion, 3-time World Cup Champion and 3-time World Champion across several racing disciplines. When it comes to bike riding, he knows his stuff.

I sent this URL to Brian, and here is his response:

First off I want to say that I never go on these chat lines, but Lee sent me the link to read some of the comments some of you guys are writing.

Some of you are saying a coach is better than a book. I agree with you, but show me a good coach you can hire for $25 that will give you that much information? To have a good coach teach you everything in this book would take weeks and cost you thousands of dollars.

The others who are bitching about giving credit to certain people, get over it. Lee approached me about doing this book and I personally spent a lot of time going over [HTML_REMOVED] explaining everything in the book. Lee used all the info I gave him and put it into words for everyone to comprehend. I think I have the credentials to prove I know what I am teaching. I'm pretty sure Shaums doesn't know anything I don't know about riding a bike. I've known Shaums for a long time and know he is a good rider, but who did Shaums learn it from? I guess we missed the boat when I didn't give credit to my dad for teaching me how to balance. And who the hell is Gene Hamilton, Joan Jones, [HTML_REMOVED] Blair Lombardi? I doubt very seriously that these three riders even knew half the techniques in this book.

Anyways, I don't have the time to sit on these chat lines, defending every person that thinks he/she knows more they really know. All I know is that Lee and I discussed everything in this book and I know what I am talking about. You may have heard the same explanation from whomever on how to "do a gate start" or "jump a double" - great!!! You know what, there are many guys out there that can explain how to do that stuff, but don't discredit Lee, because my involvement is all the credit he needs to write the #1 selling how-to book.

End of story. GO RIDE and STOP bitching.

Funny how these guys have to weigh in with Ego and Credentials, I mean while the real sources of the infomation are just humbly doing their thing, which is the behavior of real coaches and champions. Want to see what a real professional racer behaves like check out Fabian Barel, or Nicolas V(retired), they are humble and lack the gross ego these two display. To me the book was a bunch of teachniques worded differently and alot of little stories to make these two seem like they were the best out there.

Funny thing is Lee didn't even touch on Blair Lombardi…..I can tell you this Lee had his first coaching session with Blair Lombardi on March 6 2003…alomst a full year before his book came out.

Personally I have met Brian in 2004 and was not impressed, I know numerous others who have had this experience with him. Not that in all his greatness would he remember me. As far as Lee goes…just knowing what he did to Blair Lombardi and probably others is enough to make me sick.

To be honest if these two really did mastermind the book and then why are the taking the time to weigh in to what would seem to thousands of people reading this to be just hear say. Perhaps the reaction and the fact that Brian is getting in involved means that this is a defensive reaction to something that is more commonly known by 15% of riders out there and that the general public ought not to know the truth. Some would say this is a knee jerk reaction.

Brian you know who Blair Lombardi of San Anselmo is. You may have not talked to her…but you have heard her name, how could you not have, she has been coaching as long as you have been racing, and racing before that.

You want to know more about Blair Lombardi…Use google people…tons of stuff in there about her, just enter her name. As for Gene, same thing. I guess in all this Brian doesn't know how to use google or he would have more knowledge about these people and be a little more informed.

Or Just try these links…

http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=684

or

http://www.mbaction.com/search.asp?str=Blair+Lombardi

Notice the Dates on these posts and the people making the comments and ask yourself "how could Brian not know who Blair Lombardi is?"

Lee is a great writer and Brian a great racer…but there is alot more going on here.

I encourage everyone to question everything!!! There is a different truth out there then the one these two are presenting.

Aaron Clark

Oct. 5, 2006, 1:26 p.m.

what level and type of racing did/does blair do that makes her the best coach out there?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 5, 2006, 1:41 p.m.

As usuall and like most things we are only hearing part of the story. So far 2 sides have posted up and had their say. Untill Blair Lombardi, Joan Jones, and Gene Hamilton post up their part in this story we are only hearing part of the truth.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 5, 2006, 4:21 p.m.

what level and type of racing did/does blair do that makes her the best coach out there?

Hey…just use google, tons of information…any questions beyond that I will answer.

Aaron

Oct. 5, 2006, 4:22 p.m.

As usuall and like most things we are only hearing part of the story. So far 2 sides have posted up and had their say. Untill Blair Lombardi, Joan Jones, and Gene Hamilton post up their part in this story we are only hearing part of the truth.

Just contact them…use google to find their info. I am sure they would be happy to tell you their sides. Your right though these people need to weigh in, but like I said they are true professionals and won't be mud slinging, however one can bring clearity to this and not sling mud. Like I siad if this interestes you take a momnet to seek them out, they are all approachable.

Aaron

Oct. 12, 2006, 1:38 p.m.

What he said. I got the book whenever it came out, great for technique and ideas and it helped my wife with some basic skills too. No book tells you the whole story of learning a complex physical activity, but it can give you some good tips, starting places and ideas and Lee [HTML_REMOVED] Brian's book does. Well worth the price.

Oct. 12, 2006, 3:02 p.m.

is the real deal.

EVERYONE is just jealous that lee and brian had their shit together and did a proper book FIRST.

all the others that run camps or clinics just were too slow………….

which is funny cause most of em were like that when they raced too!!!!
which camp or clinic dude/dudette has the same international race RESULTS as brian lopes?

oh and which mtb coach has a pulitzer prize like lee?

cv warrior……………
take the cross off your back.

some chick from the early 90's coaches some people with techniques she rips off from elite alpine skiing(oh and by the way, all the people that were listed to be coached from this lady were, well, …….average racers.nothing special.colin bailey?jeez, your supposed to list athletes who have actually done something with their careers.missy and marla?, nice ladies, but really, they were totally outta control 90% of the time.how many concussions did missy have?.great coaching…….), and your elevating her to god status?……

Good points.

Lets add a little too this. Having been involved in sport for 20 plus years I have learned something I wish all coach's remembered. In cycling the basic skills needed to ride or race well are the same across the board. It's only when you factor in how each rider learns them that things change. As each rider learns a different way.

Same thing with coaching. The real secret of coaching is not the skills that the coach teach's, it's how the coach communicates with their athlete's. No coach communicates the same nor do the athlete's learn the same. Give 2 coach's the same skill to teach and you will get 2 different instruction methods.

That is the true secret of coaching, the ability to connect with an athlete and communicate the information needed to improve. Contrary to what some paranoid types in the NCCP system think.

Let's face reality, all coach's steal/copy in some way the methods or stuff others do.

Just an idea, if this wasn't done the Crazy Canucks wouldn't have done so well, plus they'd be in jail for stealing secrets.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/