2011 Rock Shox BoXXer Keronite

April 7, 2011, 4:30 p.m.

One of these showed up on our doorstep the other day and I just figured it was a custom finish. It may look white in some of the photos but it's more of a putty colour.

It turns out it's something more special than that.

Read on here...

April 7, 2011, 5:02 p.m.

The original application of the PEO process was as an anti-corrosion, anti-gall coating intended for aluminum and magnesium, and is usually top-coated afterward. Not widely used in aviation yet, as it is not widely certified as a acceptable aftermarket repair process, but probably will be in the future. It will most likely replace the standard Rockhard process for magnesium helicopter/turbine engine gearboxes and compressor cases, as corrosion is a huge life issue. It is used in place of anodizing in certain applications as well. I work in the (aviation) industry and I think Rockshox is taking some creative liberties, obviously. They probably thought saying it was used by NASA or on the new fighters was too over the top but in actuality, it probably is more widely used there lol! If you believe the literature it can make the surface of aluminum and magnesium harder than steel. And it's cheaper than anodizing!?! Imagine the possibilities:-)

Steve

One of these showed up on our doorstep the other day and I just figured it was a custom finish. It may look white in some of the photos but it's more of a putty colour.

It turns out it's something more special than that.

Read on here...

April 7, 2011, 6:54 p.m.

Whatever happened to the black stantion coatings their racers were on last season. I expected to see that creeping up to consumer levels by now.

iforonewelcome.com

April 8, 2011, 12:17 p.m.

The original application of the PEO process was as an anti-corrosion, anti-gall coating intended for aluminum and magnesium, and is usually top-coated afterward. Not widely used in aviation yet, as it is not widely certified as a acceptable aftermarket repair process, but probably will be in the future. It will most likely replace the standard Rockhard process for magnesium helicopter/turbine engine gearboxes and compressor cases, as corrosion is a huge life issue. It is used in place of anodizing in certain applications as well. I work in the (aviation) industry and I think Rockshox is taking some creative liberties, obviously. They probably thought saying it was used by NASA or on the new fighters was too over the top but in actuality, it probably is more widely used there lol! If you believe the literature it can make the surface of aluminum and magnesium harder than steel. And it's cheaper than anodizing!?! Imagine the possibilities:-)

Steve

Thanks for the insider info.

April 8, 2011, 12:26 p.m.

It saves 25g in paint. :lol: This thread probably weighs more than 25g.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 8, 2011, 1:29 p.m.

It saves 25g in paint. :lol: This thread probably weighs more than 25g.

bingo;) But it looks shiny, so maybe they cleared it?

April 8, 2011, 2:45 p.m.

And it's cheaper than anodizing!?! Imagine the possibilities:-)

Steve

hit the nail on the head.

April 9, 2011, 5:20 p.m.

Seems like they could have put that effort into something more substantial than a new coating that saves 30g?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 9, 2011, 5:56 p.m.

i hope my buddies don't make fun of me for having heavy paint on my boxxer……