Anyone want to help build on the shore

May 9, 2003, 10:52 p.m.

ok so my friend and I are building a new trail on the shore, its been underway for about 5 or 6 months now, but we've come to a point where we need more than just the two of us building. If anyone is interested in helping please respond to this forum and I'll get back to you. The type of trail we are building one with stunts, but stunts that are not extreme. It's a trail that basically helps people who lack skills in riding ramps at heights. We believe in building quality work and need people to come out and help us put up some good stunts, as we are fairly new to this additional input would be helpful. We will also have pics up very soon.

May 9, 2003, 10:55 p.m.

did u get approval to build this trail from the land owners???

May 9, 2003, 10:57 p.m.

what landowners??? lol its not where u think it is dont worry

May 9, 2003, 11:12 p.m.

Check out this reply to your post in Trail Maintenance. If you don't want to do that then you can read the whole thing here.

Originally posted by synchro
**Why are you building a new trail? There is a ban on building new trails on the shore right now. The reason for this is because there are enough trails already and most of them are in need of maintenance. The mtb community needs to be able to maintainn the current trails we have before going out and cutting new ones down the mountain. You would have been better off to adopt a trail and rebuild it before starting a new one.

BTW, before you started this project of yours did you consult with anybody about building a new trail? Did you even think about checking things out at your lbs first?

Sorry to rain on the parade a little, but it is important we demonstrate we can maintain the existing trail network before we go and build new trails. **

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 9, 2003, 11:25 p.m.

well I rode Cypress yesterday for the first time in ages, and Ive gotta say that coiler, stupid grouse, Sexboy are all in terrible shape, mean if we cant maintain those legally they are basically telling us to go and build new ones cuz thats wat ppl are gonna do. Now cypress is a special case i understand that, but our trail is already in the works, so theres not really any way we can turn back, and unlike most of the new trails this encourages the intermediate riders to be able to get better, so we're not just doing this for ourselves

May 9, 2003, 11:37 p.m.

it will only get torn down…and making new trails isn't aloud.

how god damn obvious can it get that you shouldn't be building a trail, ESPECIALLY ON CYPRESS.

May 9, 2003, 11:40 p.m.

Originally posted by Chris9
but our trail is already in the works, so theres not really any way we can turn back

Yes there is - you can dismantle it.

May 9, 2003, 11:47 p.m.

Originally posted by .243racer
**i'm bored of you:rolleyes:

haha :duh: **

:shhh: :shhh:

May 10, 2003, 3:05 a.m.

The NSMBA is working very hard with different government groups to try and keep trails open. They've even had some positive meetings with regards to being able to work on some of the trails on Cypress. Also, the agreement was that no new trails were to be built unless it was shown that the current trails could be maintained. That level of maintenance hasn't been reached yet.

If you're building this trail on the North Shore, then I would ask why build and jeopardize all the positive things the NSMBA has done for the North Shore trails?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 10, 2003, 7:26 a.m.

yeh if i lived their i would deffinatly help matain the trails but i dont so yeh. wats wrong with all u people get in there fix em up its only gonna be a positive for you and dont take it for granted at least u can build trails where ya live where i am ya cant they just get pulled down when found and we have tried meeting and everything so look after what u have

May 10, 2003, 9:32 a.m.

So, let me get this straight…you KNOW that you shouldn't be building a new trail and yet you still do. Hmm, sounds intelligent, responsible and selfless.:rolleyes:

May 10, 2003, 9:42 a.m.

well I rode Cypress yesterday for the first time in ages, and Ive gotta say that coiler, stupid grouse, Sexboy are all in terrible shape, mean if we cant maintain those legally they are basically telling us to go and build new ones cuz thats wat ppl are gonna do.

Actually we all go up to Trail Days, do quality work, news reporters come, make reports on radio [HTML_REMOVED] tv on how the mtb community is responsible (we've got 1 positive report already this year). Then the public and west van gov opinion of us goes up, and we have more of a chance of regaining the 3rd mtn. At the very least, Fromme and Seymour get into shape.

May 10, 2003, 12:03 p.m.

well as of right now we are not allowed to maintain trails and when we started 7 months ago we saw no reversal of this law, since then the trails have deterierated and become a lot less ridable. I understand ppl dont want us building it, but the fact is it's already there and theres two stunts and a trail for most of it, so all we could do is take down the stunts but a trail would still be there so some people would still ride it.

May 10, 2003, 1:26 p.m.

i'd help you build. given it was sanctioned and i lived in vancouver :lol:

J.M.T

Originally posted by eryn

IH8XC i'll keep you in mind when all the men die, all the goats die and the batteries in my vibrator run out.

May 10, 2003, 2:33 p.m.

well as of right now we are not allowed to maintain trails and when we started 7 months ago we saw no reversal of this law, since then the trails have deterierated and become a lot less ridable. I understand ppl dont want us building it, but the fact is it's already there and theres two stunts and a trail for most of it, so all we could do is take down the stunts but a trail would still be there so some people would still ride it.

First off…nobody's going to stop you maintaining anywhere.

What I see is another pair of people seeking the glory that building a new trail supposedly brings. You can't even seem to get it togerther to finish the trail…How are you going to maintain it for the next ten years?

Put your tiny little ego away, suck it up and maintain one of the Cypress trals….and that doesn't mean building stupid shit.