16"-18" Chainsaw recommendations

Jan. 30, 2013, 2:53 p.m.

Just replaced my MS170 (30cc) today with a MS250 (45.4cc). Its 15cc more for only a 1.5lbs weight penalty, according to the manuals.

The Abbotsford Stihl/John Deer dealer were a bit pricey considering how close they are to the boarder. http://www.stihldealers.ca/Search.aspx/Abbotsford/British_Columbia/BC/V2S_8E5/PrairieCoast_Equipment_Abbotsford/chainsaws.html?Lang=en
They wanted $400+tax and wouldn't move on that price. I even suggested its cheaper across the line and they meet in the middle. No go.

So, 15min drive across the boarder to the Stihl/John Deer dealer in Linden and I got the exact saw, inlcuding a second chain and a can of the per mix gas Motomix for $353 taxes in. Declared it at the boarder and was waved through without paying HST. I saved about $150 if I bought everything at the Abby Stihl/John Deer dealer

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Jan. 30, 2013, 5:41 p.m.

^^^Nice .The upmark makes no sense.

Jan. 30, 2013, 8:27 p.m.

well if you look on the web that is the BC price period, it is the same $ I would buy an MS250 for in smithers or PG or Houston, I would bet it is part of the sthil dealer agreement that tho shalt not deviate from the sthil pricing structure or lose the dealship to someone else, yeah they lose some sales close to the border but thats just how it is

Jan. 30, 2013, 8:44 p.m.

Making that analogy, I see it as why buy a raised Ford F350 when all you are going to do is shuttle your bikes and occasionally go on a forest road.

yeah they all cut trees but how they do it is like the difference between a ranger and a F350

I am saying buy right/buy once, consider if a 50cc pro saw costs 600$ it always starts, never bogs, cuts anything in great style, it lasts you a life time and you give it to your kid

as opposed to burning out 2 or 3 269$ poulans or a couple of 400$ homeowner style saws that may have ran OK and then didn't one day

which is better and which is cheaper?

Jan. 30, 2013, 8:56 p.m.

well if you look on the web that is the BC price period, it is the same $ I would buy an MS250 for in smithers or PG or Houston, I would bet it is part of the sthil dealer agreement that tho shalt not deviate from the sthil pricing structure or lose the dealship to someone else, yeah they lose some sales close to the border but thats just how it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

and deadweight loss is what that's called..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 31, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

yeah they all cut trees but how they do it is like the difference between a ranger and a F350

I am saying buy right/buy once, consider if a 50cc pro saw costs 600$ it always starts, never bogs, cuts anything in great style, it lasts you a life time and you give it to your kid

as opposed to burning out 2 or 3 269$ poulans or a couple of 400$ homeowner style saws that may have ran OK and then didn't one day

Your comment doesn't factor in how much it gets used, how far it has to get hiked in, etc. I'm not building structures, it's purely for clearing deadfall on new lines and existing trails, which doesn't take a lot. One of the trails I work on requires a hike in with 800m elevation gain, so weight really is a consideration.

Jan. 31, 2013, 12:14 p.m.

as much as i do enjoy a good pointless debate…i think everybody talkn here knows what works for them..

that being said…stihl poops on huskie and 270 at a minimum!!!!!! :)

Jan. 31, 2013, 3:37 p.m.

"I only use it for trail clearing….."
That's also a very subjective statement based on where you live and the type of forest you face.

Network: Gillard 07'
Trail: Top of kerplop

To any random lurker out there, read what everyone had to say, decide what you want out of your saw and choose accordingly.

Pointless argument is pointless, we're all right given our geographical location and given what we're trying to get out of our saws.

transition bikes

Jan. 31, 2013, 4:15 p.m.

"I only use it for trail clearing….."
That's also a very subjective statement based on where you live and the type of forest you face.

Network: Gillard 07'
Trail: Top of kerplop

To any random lurker out there, read what everyone had to say, decide what you want out of your saw and choose accordingly.

Pointless argument is pointless, we're all right given our geographical location and given what we're trying to get out of our saws.

Good point. For typical lower mainland forests, they aren't too littered, and a smaller saw will do what I need it to do.

Jan. 31, 2013, 6:15 p.m.

Its not just the size the saw its the quality, pro saws make more power for the weight, if a small/cheap saw blows up or can't do the job further on down the road you won't know till that time that buying cheap saw(s) cost you more money than one pro saw and you are still using a cheap saw or saws SO maybe that crazy old fuck was right and you should have bought more saw but whatever … go cheap then

Feb. 1, 2013, 1:53 p.m.

its the same as someone asking "how much should I spend on a bike?"

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 1, 2013, 2:06 p.m.

its the same as someone asking "how much should I spend on a bike?"

Pretty much the best, most concise post here.

Feb. 1, 2013, 4:46 p.m.

lulzo

studded 10ply haks on my ranger

I tow a boler with my ranger

I bought the new truck after retirement so did my ski bud tom and we both bought the same cheap a ranger and actualy that IS usually when they can afford it … after retirement

and i'll save the best for last…

I bought the new ranger cuz it was so cheap, its in perfect shape after a couple of low milage yrs cuz I drive on my terms, at only 15000kms a yr it could easily last 20yrs

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 1, 2013, 7:11 p.m.

So. Much. Win.

Feb. 1, 2013, 7:24 p.m.

probably took him all day, but mark just won the internet.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.