Weekly race series on the Shore.

June 24, 2010, 10:57 a.m.

What would it take to get a low key weekly series going on the Shore?

Would the land owners allow it? We once had Twoonie races.

A mix of XC | AM | DH events?

Who would come? Opinions?

I for one am jealous of the riding community they have built in Whistler via weekly events.

June 24, 2010, 11:04 a.m.

it helps that we have municipel staff who all ride, a bunch of councillors that ride and a large riding community at large, North Van is too big to have a concentrated group like Whistler does, too many other interest groups, (hikers, older citizens, people who don't bike)would have a say in what goes on on the Shore, plus landowners, lack of lift access for easy access, look at how much crap they have to go through just to put on the BC Cup….just come up to Whistler for weekly races….

mtbskierdad

June 24, 2010, 11:06 a.m.

Super-D… Why does it have to be Shore only?

There are already races at Surrey Bike park.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

June 24, 2010, 11:07 a.m.

I for one am jealous of the riding community they have built in Whistler via weekly events.

I would be in on that.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 24, 2010, 11:10 a.m.

I'm in.

Bicycles!

June 24, 2010, 11:17 a.m.

Really, the biggest thing is willing volunteers to make it happen. Sure, there's landowner and stakeholder issues but all that stuff can be cut through. But it takes people-power!

If you're interested, it might be worth having a conversation with jeff (at) nsmba.ca and/or mark (at) nsmba.ca.

June 24, 2010, 11:20 a.m.

I'd be in. I've never raced before and would love to give it a shot.

June 24, 2010, 11:46 a.m.

Considering the beating that poor severed took during the bike fest, I'm hoping this doesn't happen.

June 24, 2010, noon

Considering the beating that poor severed took during the bike fest, I'm hoping this doesn't happen.

I rode severed the week after as well as other trails used and I did not notice anything different from pre race.

I went to a bunch of the King of the Shore XC races back in the 90's. my problem was getting there early enough from work to make the start plus in the dark woods your up against sunset pretty quick other than late June and early July particularly on cloudy days. I think we started those at 6 and I recall riding home in the dark mare than once. Numbers were not large either. IIRC maybe 20 people showed.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 24, 2010, 12:13 p.m.

Super-D… Why does it have to be Shore only?

There are already races at Surrey Bike park.

The NSMBA twoonie races even had races over the bridge (yes North Vanners, there are trails on the other side ;)).
Whistler and Squamish are a lot different to the city, because the trails, and the tourism they bring are part of the town and it's existence. Getting permission and insurance for a series of races is probably a PITA.

June 24, 2010, 12:37 p.m.

you could always do it informally with freelap

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 24, 2010, 12:52 p.m.

ask Stefan,
Contact Person for Twoonie Races - Stefan Widmer - stefwid [HTML_REMOVED]at good old[HTML_REMOVED] hotmail.com

He was setting up the course.

Stefan was the man back in the day.

Yes, volunteer power to run it is all that's needed - if you build it, they will come.

June 24, 2010, 1:02 p.m.

Stefan was the man back in the day.

Yes, volunteer power to run it is all that's needed - if you build it, they will come.

Yep I did a few of the Fromme ones that Stefan set up and enjoyed them.

Also realize that stepping up to the plate is the only way to make it happen.

I guess the real question is would the local community support them? Would they catch too much flak for racing on sensitive trails. Would people get pissy about non pro timing systems. Would over serious people no do a DH run on Fromme because they would have to get to the top under their own power…the list could go on and on.

Oldfart pointed out a good bit about timing. Could these be pulled off with enough day light for people to make it to the event after work.

Trails on the other side of the bridges?????????? That is just crazy talk connon/biggles. You must have fallen and hit your head on Neds or something.

June 24, 2010, 1:08 p.m.

Why so formal?

At the end of the day, you just need a guy at the top and a guy at the bottom with watches / radios and another person to keep track of the times.

Things like insurance, and marshalls, medical staff etc. just complicate everything.

The only time I've seen hoopla over racing was when the Freelap crew raced, and video'd their rip down a closed trail on a local mtn last year.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 24, 2010, 1:08 p.m.

Could always do these in a friendly flash mob manner and use an honour system in lieu of readily available freelap systems.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.