Pantani's last few words.....

Feb. 26, 2004, 10:29 a.m.

Rumors have been wide spread over the past couple of years about Pantani's mental well being. The following letter explains alot……if you read between the lines. He clearly felt centered out. He had a passion for cycling few have ever matched this is also evident in his letter.

CESENATICO, Italy, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Following is the text of a note written by Italian cyclist Marco Pantani on nine pages of his passport before his death, and read out at his funeral on Wednesday his friend and former manager Manuela Ronchi.
The note appeared to have been written during a recent trip to Cuba. It was written in Italian and translated by Reuters.

"For four years I was in every court. I lost the desire to be like every other sportsman. But cycling paid and many youngsters have lost faith in justice. I'm suffering with this letter.

"The world understands that all my colleagues have been humiliated in their hotel rooms with hidden TV cameras, that tried to ruin many families. After that how can you not hurt yourself?

"I don't know why I stopped myself in these moments of anger if I made mistakes I'd like to know that there is proof but when my sporting life and above all my private life was violated I lost a lot.

"I'm in this country and I want to say that "hasta la victoria" is a great thing for an athlete but it is more difficult having given your heart for the sport with accidents and injuries. But I always got back up.

"What is left? Just a lot of anger and sadness for the violence of the judicial system. My true story should be an example for other sports. Rules yes, but equal for everybody.

"There's not a job where you have to give your blood and where the families of your colleagues are woken up during the night.

"I was always afraid of being spied on at home, in hotels and by TV cameras. I ended up hurting myself to not give up my intimacy, the intimacy of my girlfriend and of other colleagues who also lost, of other families who like me were attacked.

"Go and see what a cyclist is really like. How many people were involved in my sadness as I tried to make a comeback with my dreams as a man which were muddied by drugs, but after my life as an athlete.

"If a bit of humanity helps us understand and asks what makes us hope, when you make a real mistake you understand and you fight with your heart.

"This document is the truth. My hope is that real men or women can read it and defend equal rules in sport for everybody. I'm not a liar, I feel hurt and everybody who believed in me has to speak out."

Updated on Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 11:34 am EST

May he rest in peace.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West"

Feb. 26, 2004, 1:14 p.m.

R.I.P

Originally posted by Count Blah
Count Blah chillin' in the bushes:thepimp:

Euuuurah Euuuuuuuughah! Eugh… FUCK! :lol:
I've sentenced myself to a life behind bars, great!

Feb. 26, 2004, 2:33 p.m.

Wow. He sounds like he was in quite bit of anguish over it all. Also I didnt know of the papparazzi fiasco over there.

R.I.P.

He was one of cycling's greatest.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Feb. 26, 2004, 2:59 p.m.

Oh, yeah…they were on Marco like bitter stink on shit. He probably had very few moments of true privacy in the final years of his life. Unfortunately, it was usually the media if it wasn't some governing body or another.
Like I mentioned in the original Pantani thread, it is a disgrace to the sport that one of it's Champions left the world in the manner which he did.
:(

South Sea-Tac Flowpark Gallery
KEEP IT GREEN!
This signature is brought to you by the letter "H" and by the number "6"

Feb. 26, 2004, 5:40 p.m.

If anybody else can read French out there, there was a great article by Pierre Foglia in LaPresse de Montreal shortly after Pantani's death. The paper is in any university library.

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

Feb. 26, 2004, 10:34 p.m.

Poor dude should not have been alone. He was obviously troubled and did not appear to have a personal support network.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Feb. 27, 2004, 12:04 a.m.

Originally posted by baloom
Poor dude should not have been alone. He was obviously troubled and did not appear to have a personal support network.

From everything that I've read, it appears the he shut himself off from all the support that was offered from ex-teammates and the like. His family was also trying to get him rehabbed from his drug use.

He was often described as suffering from depression.:(

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 27, 2004, 11:45 a.m.

so sad when a person falls victim to introversion.

i hope his soul found its peace.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Feb. 27, 2004, 2:16 p.m.

I still see him attacking in the mountains…Il Pirata!

slowly slowly catchy monkey