Newbies on da shore......

Jan. 17, 2003, 10:41 p.m.

hmmmm, costco bike and thinks he doesn't need armour or a helmet.

i'd do one of two things. either refuse to take him, or take him to gmg/flying circus (or something quadruple black diamond) and put the fear of God in him.

I don't think he has a firm grasp of what it's like.

iforonewelcome.com

Jan. 17, 2003, 10:48 p.m.

Get him to ride with his seatpost really high up and his tires pumped up rock hard. :evil:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 17, 2003, 11:22 p.m.

Originally posted by sAFETY
**hmmmm, costco bike and thinks he doesn't need armour or a helmet.

i'd do one of two things. either refuse to take him, or take him to gmg/flying circus (or something quadruple black diamond) and put the fear of God in him.

I don't think he has a firm grasp of what it's like. **

yea i agree, either say no, or let him learn the hard way. ppl like that have to learn the hard way, they wont listen to u

Jan. 17, 2003, 11:25 p.m.

Originally posted by switch
Get him to ride with his seatpost really high up and his tires pumped up rock hard. :evil:

HAHAHAHA now there's a recipe for disaster :lol:

I'd let him ride his POS bike and go without armor…but the helmet thing? no way. Take him down Boogieman :P

Jan. 17, 2003, 11:29 p.m.

He gets my vote for the Darwin Award. Let the poor fool end it and the Human gene pool grows stronger!:D

Don't sweat the petty stuff but it's OK to pet the sweaty stuff.

Jan. 18, 2003, 4:24 p.m.

Yikes! Kind of frightening. It will cost your friend more $$$ than just for his bike if he has to pay for the hospital fees, ICU time, medical care etc. when he cracks his head open… You'll need to pay for that, as your from the States. Maybe that'll get him to wear a helmet.

Jan. 19, 2003, 4:46 p.m.

LOL Thanks Ya'll, the helmet thing was a no brainer……. And some sick part of me really wants to see that Motiv bust right in half…… I'll get him to wear a helmet, and once he sees a lot of people wearing full gear he may get the picture. Oh and I'll make sure he packs whats left of his bike out :D As far as riding he is no slouch, he has packed on 53,000 miles in the last 7 years….. though I'd say 85% is on road.

It's not the Speed that Kills, It's the sudden Stops.

Jan. 19, 2003, 5:04 p.m.

i say let that sucker crash

Jan. 19, 2003, 5:14 p.m.

That's good that you're going to make him wear a helmet.

The first time I rode "the shore" it was definitely an eye opener. I didn't have any armour either - I honestly had no idea what the trails were like. I was a good xc rider, who couldn't understand why anyone would want their seat lower than their bars. I grew up in Alberta, there aren't many hills there. Luckily, I had a great tour guide (thanks fergs!) who showed me the ropes. So my advice, would he to go with a larger group, or at least someone who knows what they're doing if you can. My perspective on mountain biking changed, maybe his can too?

I miss Vancouver!

Jan. 19, 2003, 6:18 p.m.

dont let him ride the shore with no helmet, especially for his first time on the shore.

Bikes:
Team Dh
Specialized 415

Jan. 19, 2003, 6:32 p.m.

Safety should be priority number 1.
Don't let him ride the North Shore without helmet and armour.

Team Shuttlewhore

Jan. 20, 2003, 11:49 a.m.

helmet:
I had an endo on Cypress on saturday and landed on my head. got up and kept on riding. without it I am sure it would have been game over. enough said.
Armour:
after my head first landing I ended up on my back and ass. had full armour on and again got up and kept riding. enough said.

Jan. 20, 2003, 2:46 p.m.

I dunno, people make the shore sound as if it is impossible unless you ride a fs or any other bike more than 2Gs. I rode pipeline one time and passed a guy riding it with an old hybrid (no suspension and skinny tires). I stopped at the bottom and he was basically right behind me. There are definitely trails on the shore for all levels of riding, although I would still recommend at the very least a helmet. If he's capable and doesn't mind buying new bike parts go for it.

Jan. 20, 2003, 3:22 p.m.

Make him wear a helmet. Get him to buy my bike! Hi pat! Long time no see. :)

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Jan. 20, 2003, 5:13 p.m.

- Wear a helmet - It's the law:agree: