listen to music while u ride ???

July 12, 2004, 4:23 p.m.

if i do go for a MP3 player i aint loooking to have it blaring and filter out every other sound…

im looking for something to play at a rasonably LOW volumne so it kinda occupies my mind… maybe im alone on this but when i ride, alot of times (most) i tend to think negative thoughts when i approach gnarly/tech sections…

i know if i just "pull the trigger" i'll be fine, cuz i know where my limits are and im not looking to get in over my head, just allow myself to ride the way i know i can…

what i really need is one of those Whistler bike camps…i need a Pro to help me get over my lack of confidence… or i need someone to chase me down the trails and kick me in the ass when i stop/ or walk stuff i should be riding…

;)

keep the opinions coming… its all good so far…

heres the pak i intend to put the MP3 player into, i think having a waist style hydropak is a better solution then having it on my back…makes getting to the MP3 player alot easier

hydropak

July 12, 2004, 4:53 p.m.

When I have had music on while riding street I am able to hear my surroundings. I do not listen to my music loud, heck I already have tinnitus, I don't need to make it worse. I can hear my bike just fine too. Like IFO, and others said, it's more like a background filter so I can concentrate on the task at hand, which is rippin it, (hahahahaha). I like it for solo rides, but I like being able to chat with friends when on a group ride, so no tunes for that.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

July 26, 2004, 2:41 p.m.

Would a MiniDisc player work just as good for riding? I heard that they never skip. I know they're a bit bigger, but I love the huge storage capacity and the fact that you can take the discs out to switch them. I was thinking about getting that Sony Net MD player.

Derek

:canada: :woot:

July 26, 2004, 2:49 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO
**what i really need is one of those Whistler bike camps…i need a Pro to help me get over my lack of confidence… or i need someone to chase me down the trails and kick me in the ass when i stop/ or walk stuff i should be riding…

If you're serious about the above comment then take a lesson with Mike Johnstone. He's a really good teacher. Take a clinic put on by him and you WILL improve

July 26, 2004, 2:55 p.m.

Originally posted by the flying moose
mtbing = no.

mtbing is my escape from the outside world and i like hearing the sounds of the forest and all the animals and stuff. im not gonna pollute my alone time with music. **

:werd:

very seldomly i listen to music quietly with open-air headphones while riding my road bike somewhere, but not usually, and mountain biking - never.

July 26, 2004, 3:16 p.m.

Originally posted by GiMpY_jR
i do snowboarding by myself but not biking yet

Same here…for some reason when snowboarding i always listen to music…not biking

maybe it's cause of the limited space on the trails compared to the slopes….gotta be listening for other riders and shiz

also! for anyone interested in getting a music player for riding or w/e…..get a iPOD!!!! i used to have a MD player but turned it aside for the ipod and wont ever switch to anything else!

the new ones have 20gigs…12hr battery…palm size….no moving parts…great buy!! i think the new 20gig ones are $299

my older version 15gig cost $399 with only 8hr battery

www.apple.com [HTML_REMOVED]--- home page check it out yo

July 26, 2004, 3:34 p.m.

After following this thread I decided to give it a shot with my MP3 player. Just a short little urban rip but it worked quite well. Not too loud though. Threw it in my camelback and ran the wires over my shoulder.

I have a Rio Cali MP3 player which is supposed to be a 'sports' version making it impact and water resistant. Comes with 256m stadard and will accept SD/MMC cards for up to an additional 1gig.

My deal is what headphones would be best? Mine are sort of an ear-bud that hooks over and behind your ears and work ok I guess. Anyone use something better?

July 26, 2004, 4:03 p.m.

ONly when im riding by myself I find it give you something else to concentrate on then nosies your bike makes and psycing yourself out on bigger things

05 Specalized fuse 2- 300obo
[email protected] or PM

July 27, 2004, 10:41 a.m.

I just got a ipod, and I just did somes runs at whistler and it is so much better for dj, it is huge. it helps you flow and move with the trail better, your more relaxed. it is awsome. I highly susgest it to all.

Builder of Little Bastard

July 27, 2004, 11:38 a.m.

Originally posted by Derek
Would a MiniDisc player work just as good for riding? I heard that they never skip. I know they're a bit bigger, but I love the huge storage capacity and the fact that you can take the discs out to switch them. I was thinking about getting that Sony Net MD player.

My MD worked pretty well when i was skiing… it has also never skipped. thinking about taking it to whistler

July 27, 2004, 11:45 a.m.

I am getting the free telus mp3 player. I will use that while I am climbing alone. For the DH some slayer would probably do wonders.

IFO - I am in the same boat with the confidence.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

July 27, 2004, 12:08 p.m.

Originally posted by putty
For the DH some slayer would probably do wonders.

Slayer? pfft… slide in a little Phil Collins for the DH, that will get you going like nothing else.. :lol:

July 27, 2004, 12:47 p.m.

Originally posted by putty
**I am getting the free telus mp3 player. I will use that while I am climbing alone. For the DH some slayer would probably do wonders.

IFO - I am in the same boat with the confidence. **

that mp3 player you get is free for a reason….

July 27, 2004, 9:24 p.m.

if ur a sloth get rid of them so we can all pass you…. j/k…. ummm i wish i had one to listen to when i ride, i am just scared it might brake or something like that

NEW MANITOU STANCE STATIC!
http://www.nsmb.com/buy_sell/show.php?ad_id=122578&category;=forks_less

July 27, 2004, 9:47 p.m.

Ive never ridden to music while riding but i think i am gonna try it on my next urban ride.. While reading this thread i remembered seeing a helmet somewhere with headphones built into it.. you just plug a cord from mp3 player into the into it and there are speakers in it somewhere..probably sounds like ass but its worth a shot.. i also remember seeing a burton beenie with headphones built in..that would be pretty sweet for crusing around town