Impression of bike shops on the North Shore.

Nov. 18, 2012, 6 p.m.

So as many of you know I bought a bike. So naturally I needed to locate some pants, shirt/jersey, knee pads, gloves, and helmet. Today I made the trip to north van to do the bikeshop circuit, visit some shops I hadn't been in before and hopefully come home with everything I needed. So I thought I'd share my impressions and experiences with everyone on the board as there are often questions asked. I would like to put as a disclaimer that I realize it is winter and certain shops did not have in season stock. Those facts taken into consideration this is my experience.

First stop. Cove Bike shop. I own a cove. I've owned many before it. I like cove as a brand. But holy hell, somebody buy a heater for the place. It's freezing in the store. Other than that it was exactly what I expected. A bike from every place on the color wheel. Troy lee's entire line up, lots of jerseys, pants and shorts. Prices were mrsp or slightly less. Not any real deals to be had, but if you need something. They have it and most likely in your size. The staff weren't pushy, but were there and sort of informative for the questions I had.

Second stop. Lynn Valley bikes. It's a family oriented shop, meaning that while they do have a couple big mountain bikes, a little bit of gear. Not much stock at all. That's fine it's off season. But the staff were pretty useless. The front guy desk didn't seem concerned we were there, just whatever was going on his computer. The mechanic didn't even look at me when I asked if they had any other stock on the helmet, just mentioned there "might be something in a corner over there." If you don't live around the corner, I don't see much of a reason to visit the shop. There are better shops in the area. With more to offer. Again, that's my advice.

Third Stop. I was pretty excited for this. I had never seen the North Shore Bikeshop personally, as I got out of riding before it came into existence. A shop started by a rider, for riders is always interesting. It's tucked away just off Lonsdale, and the square footage would definitely make it one of the smaller shops on the shore. But don't let the fool you. The store is packed with product, even the walls are filled as far as a person can reach. There are loads of bikes. And there is value to be found there. There was a brand new Transition Tr450 complete for 3,000. How can you argue with that? Something for everyone's price point and taste including an absolutely beautiful almost murdered out Banshee. I would guess there would specialize in custom spec bikes and bikes tailored to customers, not just out of a box. They mostly seem stock the POC helmet which I'd never heard of but seemed fine just didn't fit my big head right. Definitely would be a stop if I was in the market for a bike. It would be interesting to talk to Matt who is there most days of the week I believe. But the shop guy confidently answered any questions we had.

Fourth stop. Obsession. Neat shop in a neat building. Lou was working away on bikes. And the staff were friendly and able to help with any questions I had. While they have alot of higher end bikes, they also seemed to cater to more reasonable price points well still being from quite "desirable" brands. They definitely cater to all varieties of cyclists too. They were also willing to make a little bit of a deal on parts and accessories. I had a good experience there, can't say anything bad really.

Fifth stop. Bicycles sports pacific. I don't ride a road bike. Or cross country. And that seemed to be pretty much what the shop was geared towards. I don't think I was inside two minutes.

Sixth stop. John Henry. They have alot of norcos. All sorts, lower and higher end. But just norcos. I seem to remember them carrying other brands at one time. Also the shop seems brighter than it use to be. While they had lots of staff, I looked at helmets for a while before going and finding some staff to ask if they had other sizes then the display model. He may as well of slapped me in the face. Tone was super condescending and aloof. Apparently they don't. He was also not interested in seeing if there was something else that could work. If you want a norco, you could find one here. But if you don't, not much to see. Another staff member seemed friendly on my way out, but I wasn't too concerned.

And that pretty much raps things up. I spent 450$ today. I would of spent more had I found reason too. I still need a helmet and knee pads. I was a customer willing to drop what I thought was a relatively serious amount on clothing and pads for the winter season. These are just my experiences. In no particular order I would recommend Obsession, North Shore bikeshop and Cove for people needing to make future purchases. For me, I actually think my local shops cater to my needs just as well as the shops on the shore. But if I was buying a new bike I would definitely make the trip. I didn't spell check this.

Nov. 18, 2012, 6:44 p.m.

john henry is now owned by norco. that's why they only have norco now

Nov. 18, 2012, 6:49 p.m.

Different and Steed are additional options on the north shore…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 18, 2012, 6:56 p.m.

Different and Steed are additional options on the north shore…

While I wanted to go steed, as many of there employees often chime in on the boards, it was too far west and I literally ran out of time. I'll make a stop soon. And I drove by a sign saying different bikes is opening soon.

Nov. 18, 2012, 6:57 p.m.

NorthShoreBikeShop was my first port of call when I arrived in the city, Matt the owner is really dedicated to getting you the right product, I was ready to leave with my spanky new POC kneegaurds but he intercepted me at the door and insisted I try another size, and he was right.

I like Lynn Valley though, they've given me loads of time when I've been there, and have been cool with swaps and returns (my fault, buying the wrong size of things etc). They've become my go-to shop just because they're on the route of the 210 bus when I'm heading out to ride.

Obsession seem cool but I've not bought much there, and the two Saturday kids seemed mystified by my request for Trail King tyres but I guess that could have been my accent.

:scotland:

Nov. 18, 2012, 7 p.m.

I've had great service at Steed in the past (ahem they do complete RS Reverb overhauls:-). But I must say North Shore Bike Shop is my go-to place for things that need replacing most often: tires, chainrings, associated brake equipment.. It is nice to go into a shop and see a full range of tires, but also it's nice to go into a shop knowing you will most likely leave with what you set out for. I really get tired of 'we can order it'. No, I can order it;-)

Nov. 18, 2012, 7:09 p.m.

Pretty much the opposite of any experiences I've had. On 3 out of 4 of my visits to North Shore Bike Shop, the staff have been condescending, arrogant and downright insulting. The staff at Lynn Valley Bikes have always gone out of their way to help me, and I think the only thing I've ever actually bought from them is a cable. They just wanted to get me back on my bike, which is awesome.

Nov. 18, 2012, 7:35 p.m.

…downright insulting….

Care to share? They didn't call you Slim-Jim did they? ;-).

BTW good staff at Lynn Valley as well.

Nov. 18, 2012, 7:50 p.m.

Strange, the staff at NSBS have been really helpful every time I've been in there. Also, regardless of who I talked to at Cove they have been great. I'm flying down for some meetings on Wednesday and then maybe heading over there to hopefully pick up some stuff that I've had on my list for a while.

Besides, even if I can't ride when I'm there, it's still worth the effort go to North Van just to go to MEC. That place is great. Just like a Crappy Tire, but without all the crap. And really, not that many tires. But still cool.

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:08 p.m.

North Shore Bike Shop takes it for me also. I've bought a few bikes from Matt and team over the years and if I've ever needed anything done, something fixed or upgrading parts, they've literally dropped what they are working on to get me out on the trails an hour later. They're knowledgeable on products and and easy to be around.

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:41 p.m.

Nobody ever includes the best shop in Vancouver

The one shop I've never seen anyone bitch about is On Top.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:53 p.m.

Nobody ever includes the best shop in Vancouver

The one shop I've never seen anyone bitch about is On Top.

I went there back before I lived in Vancouver (2007) and they offered good advice on something knowing full well that I wasn't going to purchase anything, so they get a thumbs up from me.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Nov. 18, 2012, 9:11 p.m.

NSBS good guys, I would recommend them to anyone.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Nov. 18, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

NSBS good guys, I would recommend them to anyone.

This!

Master of Puppets

Nov. 18, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

Nice simple write up, Sleeper.

I will pop in to NSBS, because of this. If only to just check it out.