I'm a 230lb Hack Going On A Trip To Whistler, How Much Travel Do I Need?

April 1, 2009, 4:23 a.m.

^^

Just been watching some helmet cams (why didn't I think of this earlier?!), I didn;t realise A-line had THAT many jumps. Wow. Clown shoes, Dirt Merchant and smoke and mirrors all look like wicked fun. The Boneyard setup looks like fun too. Schleyer looks brutal, as does joyride. OK, so they pretty much all look awesome! Shame I'm not going to be hitting up like Schleyer at end of the week (well probably not).

I'm ordering the BMW later. Fun times.

Originally posted by Count Blah
Count Blah chillin' in the bushes:thepimp:

Euuuurah Euuuuuuuughah! Eugh… FUCK! :lol:
I've sentenced myself to a life behind bars, great!

April 2, 2009, 10:09 a.m.

Schleyer is one of the best trails on the whole hill. You owe it to yourself to at least give it a try, even if you walk some of it. It still amazes me how fast some guys can ride it.

April 2, 2009, 10:14 a.m.

Too many guys here overthinking it.

The man is 230 lbs, and wants to enjoy Whistler BP, not the Lost Lake trails. Bring a full on DH rig. At least 8[HTML_REMOVED]8.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

April 2, 2009, 8:06 p.m.

I am approaching 200lbs in all my gear and I run a 6x6 bike up there. Love it. I can keep up with just about anybody up there - ok, not everybody, but more than enough. I rock past lots of people on big bikes. The hill is BRUTAL on parts though. Be prepared to replace a d-hangar or two, and brake pads. Definitely run DH tubes, especially if you do any Garbo runs.

Better yet, go tubeless. The guys with the armour on the outside of their jeans don't count as mountainbikers, they are just tourists with a deathwish and you'd better be passing them haha.:|

Shed head!

April 6, 2009, 12:22 p.m.

Check out the deals on the inside line, IMO buy your rig over here cheaper than the UK and it will be used by the time you go home so no duty. Also most shops offer free service for a year so after you break parts at Whistler and the Shore (and you will) you'll not have to pay for installation. We have a few budds from the UK when you get here drop me a pm for a shuttle or two with us.

April 7, 2009, 11:12 a.m.

Check out the deals on the inside line, IMO buy your rig over here cheaper than the UK and it will be used by the time you go home so no duty. Also most shops offer free service for a year so after you break parts at Whistler and the Shore (and you will) you'll not have to pay for installation. We have a few budds from the UK when you get here drop me a pm for a shuttle or two with us.

Ohhhh thanks, thats a very interesting idea, but I am very set on a BMW, so I'm not sure how I would pull that off, plus I have to take some parts across. I'll think about it though.

Thanks for the offer, I'll have to pass though, because you'll absolutely school me and get frustrated with how much I suck ^^

Originally posted by Count Blah
Count Blah chillin' in the bushes:thepimp:

Euuuurah Euuuuuuuughah! Eugh… FUCK! :lol:
I've sentenced myself to a life behind bars, great!

April 7, 2009, 2:45 p.m.

Yeah now I know what BMW means, Brooklyn Machine Works Very nice I was thinking car duh
Still pm for a shuttle when do you get here

April 7, 2009, 10:01 p.m.

Last year, I went up for a week and took both my 8" DH bike and my 6" bike. Both were lots of fun but for different reasons. As some folks have mentioned, the smaller bikes are more maneuverable in places like angry pirate, but I always felt like I was riding right on the edge overall.

I ended up riding the 8" bike 5 of the 7 days. The more forgiving geo and extra suspension mellowed the ride so I could focus on progression, rather than survival.

On the other hand, from what I've read about UK riding, there isn't a lot of use for an 8" bike so perhaps the best bike is the one that suits your home trails post holiday?

Anyway, just my $0.02

You'll have a blast up there either way! Enjoy.

April 11, 2009, 4:10 p.m.

a line is perfectly smooth and as wide as a dump truck. just keep the front wheel straight on and pin it

April 12, 2009, 10:22 a.m.

A few years ago I was that hack going from Ireland(similar riding to UK) to Whistler and the Shore.
Whatever bike you're comfy on is good, I bought a Norco Atomik when I was in Vancouver, for real cheap.

I wouldn't class myself as a great rider, by any streach.
Rode lots of Shore trails, mostly Seymor and then went to Whistler for 2 weeks.
Man, we arn't living over here at all.
Damn near wore out A-line :) and rode every trail on the hill, some I only rode once because I found them to easy/hard.

I found my level to be black diamond and double black to a point.
At the time I was doing some DH racing (mid field in masters)at home.

Go ride whatever bike you have/get and enjoy. Dont over think it!

April 12, 2009, 2:27 p.m.

You're gonna love the BMW… I ride a racelink. It's freakin sweet. Looong bikes though… Have fun trying to manual or hop it.

SR series should eat whistler right up.

Brooklyn is super helpful… Just give them a phone call with any question and they're super stoked to help you out. Same with avalanche, craig is the best.

April 27, 2009, 12:09 a.m.

I'm not familiar with your posts over the past couple yrs Draco…in this thread, your intent seems legit…the rep system here is almost worthless. But even so…why is your rep count so low?