I wrote a paper on the Shore's sustainability for college...

Dec. 11, 2005, 7:12 p.m.

Hello fellow riders,

At the suggestion of Cam I'm putting this on here. I go to college at UC Santa Cruz, but my Mom lives in good old Vancouver. For my Environment and Society course, we were assigned to write a paper, do interviews, et cetera on an environmental issue in our hometown. I immediately jumped on the excuse to write about the Shore and the sport we all know and love. If any of you care for the bibliography, I can post it as well. So now that the background is done, I'll post the paper (note: I have to post it below because it's too long to fit in one post).

PS: If any of you want to use this for something, that's fine, but please let me know first. I spent a lot of time on this and there's no pride in plagiarism.

Attending UC Santa Cruz, College Eight.

Spy Optic

Dec. 11, 2005, 7:12 p.m.

Kyle J. Buyers
College 8 Core Course
Linda Ivey, Discussion Leader
Hometown Research Project
Final draft due 11/30/05

The Infamous North Shore Just Got a Little More Precarious

Several hundred miles north of Santa Cruz lies a town by the name of North Vancouver. It

Spy Optic

Dec. 11, 2005, 7:14 p.m.

kyle buyers

Funn stem and bar - 20 bucks

Dec. 11, 2005, 7:58 p.m.

Impressive article

Dec. 11, 2005, 8:08 p.m.

thats too long to read. whats the jist of it?

send them a pic of you riding their DH RACE bike off the roof of Rochester School…and ask if the crack is really a manufacturing defect.

EVIL DOC FOR SALE!!
http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=2155
PM ME!

Dec. 11, 2005, 8:34 p.m.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post something stupid; something like this. Congrats- must have been less then half an hour

Dec. 11, 2005, 9:37 p.m.

kyle buyers

…yes?

Impressive article

Thanks, Lee!!

Sorry, I don't write Cliff Notes. If you're so afraid of reading several pages, fine, but please stick to more unintelligent threads.

That was cool Kyle. It must have been really hard for you to get an interview with the mayor. I bet that he is really busy now having just gotten into office and only has spare time for family.

P.S. Oh, and I met a guy named kyle last night at a party in the cove. He looked a lot like u and even had the same style hair cut and a leather jacket!!

P.P.S. On a more general note. I also met a guy named Ross Measures. Ross, if u read this; Hi!

Haha thanks. Yeah that mayor's tough to reach. And if you met a similar looking Kyle, was his hair new short hair or old hair, and if it was old hair, did he look like Matt Hunter too?

Spy Optic

Dec. 11, 2005, 9:50 p.m.

It was new short trendy style hair with the gel and everything!!! But I suspect that it Matt Hunter were to have short hair that they would look similar. Oh yah and come home to the place where the mountains are wet, cold and kick ass and try to bring both sets of gear or at least your helmet for biking. 2 weeks!!!

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Dec. 11, 2005, 9:53 p.m.

mtbfreerider182 - I learned a few things from reading your paper. Sounds like you interviewed the right people. Good job [HTML_REMOVED] thanks for posting that up.

Cameron - I reccomend you give it a read, but the short version is that our trails are sustainable, but we still have a long way to go, and we need everyone's help.

Dec. 11, 2005, 9:58 p.m.

neat article. makes me warm and fuzzy and crave some upper oil right now.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Dec. 11, 2005, 10:16 p.m.

ive met u kyle buyers

Funn stem and bar - 20 bucks

Dec. 12, 2005, 9:43 a.m.

ive met u kyle buyers

Haha care to tell me who you are?

mtbfreerider182 - I learned a few things from reading your paper. Sounds like you interviewed the right people. Good job [HTML_REMOVED] thanks for posting that up.

Thanks…my pleasure.

Spy Optic

Dec. 12, 2005, 11:44 a.m.

Hmm, I'm staring university reading physical geography next year. Perhaps I could do something along these lines later on - a study of the environmental impact of MTB on soils and ecosystems. There would be a big smile on my face every time I said 'I'm off to go study!'

Dec. 12, 2005, 11:47 a.m.

nice little write-up

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 12, 2005, 12:23 p.m.

Go Banana Slugs!

Pretty decent paper, you did alot of research, but some key elements of the North Shore trail building history were left out.

1. All the original trails were built without permission. There was a period of one-up manship where each new trail was built steeper and crazier than the last.
2. Cypress chainsaw massacre.
3. Formation of NSMBA. Development of standards for mtb trails. As far as I know, Vancouver was the first area to legitimize MTB-designed trails. At the time, most trails legally open to bikes were hiking trails, and any new trails built must have been multi-use. The NSMBA really pushed the idea the hiker and biker needs and wants for trails are at odds with one another, and designing every trail to be multi-use is not the way to go.