Moab Utah this March

Jan. 13, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

I am heading to Moab the last half of March for the first time riding there. I took my Jeep there a couple years ago and loved it, now for the bike. I have seen researched a couple "must do" trails like Poison Spider(shared w. 4x4), Porcupine, Whole Enchilada and Captain Ahab. I know higher up might not be open but I would love to hear a few more from people that have been there. Shuttles and/or pedal loops, anything to start thinking about. I am going to hit up Poison Spider Bikes as well when I get there. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

Jan. 13, 2014, 9:42 a.m.

http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/tag/utah/

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:23 a.m.

Good fun, so many great trails to ride. Unless there is a horrible snow year and unseasonably warm temps the Whole Enchilada will still be under snow. Usually not completely clear to June timeframe as elevation is something like 12K feet.

Might be able to ride Lower Porq Singletrack (LPS) but anything higher will likely be out.

Have fun, heading to Virgin/Hurricane at the end of April.

Jan. 15, 2014, 11:33 a.m.

Yes, i will echo what others said about the snow. i have been in late june and not got the whole enchilada from the very top. LPS will be good and is very techy along the rim. whole enchilada is about as much fun as you can have on a bike. i have had other trips that are more fun than Moab, but enchilada might be the most fun downhill i have done.

i also enjoy out and back on Amasa Back, as well as, Amasa, rockstacker, jacksons. Better bring the a-game, though. there are some VERY exposed, technical switchbacks. i am not sure that i have ever seen anything else like it. another very dangerous ride is Portal, but I don't enjoy that one as much rockstacker/jacksons.

The sovereign area is pretty fun, ride it all. the Bar trails are just OK, fun for a second ride or night ride. the pipeline trail that is in town is worth a pedal. i like to do it at night, as well.

i will look back at some maps to remember other good rides.

Jan. 23, 2014, 1:34 p.m.

Thanks You guys. I will be looing into those trails. I also have a Jeep tour I am going to book. The weather will be a big factor. If it is really cold and snowy I will cancel and maybe head elsewhere.

Jan. 23, 2014, 2:12 p.m.

The other alternate route down Amasa back is Captain Ahab. A little to much pedaling than you would expect for a downhill, but still worth doing. I was pretty spent from the days previous rides, so the little too much climbing comment may be slightly off base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyaOqDXDf7c

Master of Puppets

Jan. 23, 2014, 9:24 p.m.

Snow will be an issue for Hazard County , The whole enchilada.. (moab).
The snow had just cleared for my last trip to Moab in May a few years ago…
Although , this year may be different. It would be interesting to understand the snow pack this year with such a mild winter and low snow accumulation in the west this year

Feb. 19, 2014, 6:55 a.m.

Just drop in at Poison Spider Bike Shop. Buy the guide book and ask what trails are in good condition. They'll hook you up and there is a shuttle that leaves from their shop.

You'll have a great time, but the higher trails will be snowed in. That's why I try and hit Sedona in the winter/spring and Moab in the fall so I can get up high.

Having said that there is lots to ride lower down. Enjoy. :woot: