Western Academy of Photography

Jan. 8, 2008, 5:12 p.m.

I just applied, and I'm wondering if any one on the board has gone here or knows some one who has, and how they liked it. Not as cheap as I would have liked it to be but, Camosun gave me the royal fuck off, so I guess I'll be in debt for the rest of my life.
the site said that Mike Berard(sp) was one of the instructors so that sounds cool as well.

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.

Jan. 8, 2008, 5:51 p.m.

Im going to it next year, its a really great school, I was supposed to be going this year, but decided to wait a year, as its an older age group, rather than kids who are 18, so ill be 20 which will be a little better. Its a tough challenging demanding year for sure. I know a few guys going right now and they say its alot of work, you have to be committed, but worth it in the long run

All Pro All Reid All The Time
- 30D - 70-200 - 17-85 - wizards -

Jan. 8, 2008, 7:30 p.m.

ok sounds great.. So I assume if i get in I'll be one of the few 18yr olds?
Seems like a huge supply list too, especially since Im used to DSLR and not 35mm Slr let alone medium and large format cameras.

not looking forward to buying rectal syringes haha

Jan. 9, 2008, 1:44 a.m.

How does the program compare to Langara's photography program?

Jan. 9, 2008, 2:50 a.m.

i know 3 guys goin there.

MIKE ZINGER name drop

he does turndowns.

Jan. 9, 2008, 10:54 a.m.

i go to Western Academy of photography right now. Its not bad, just started second semester, first sem was alot of basic stuff, and a darkroom class. Did some 4x5, medium format stuff aswell, intro to the studio lighting and all that stuff. Using the facilitys are definally one of the best parts, school stays open till like 9, and u can get studio time on weekends and at redic time such as 12at night tilll 8 in the morning, if u dont like to sleep.

They are complettly changing the program tho, so i dunno how its gunna be next year. Getting rid of the darkroom/film stuff, getting more computers, we are in the process of getting new printers aswell and might start supplieing paper in your lab fees so thats gunna be nice and save some money.

Its a pretty fast pass program, and easy to get behind also cost a fair bit of money. But it is cheaper then taking a bunch of workshops to cover the same stuff.

Right now in second sem we have started are electives:

Photojournalism
Portaiture
Advertising
Lifestyle
Fashion
Achitecture
Weddings
Outdoor and travel
Adventure sports

Mike Berard is not teaching the adventure sports this year, even tho he was a rad guy. They got scott pommier this year, which happends to be one of my fav photographers, and im super stoked, cant wait.

Jan. 9, 2008, 11:24 a.m.

thanks alot, so is the course mainly focused on 35mm film, and medium and Large format cameras, or is there a fair bit of DSLR use too?

Jan. 9, 2008, 1:38 p.m.

starting next its all digy apperently, taking out the film stuff, so thats good

All Pro All Reid All The Time
- 30D - 70-200 - 17-85 - wizards -

Jan. 9, 2008, 1:44 p.m.

holy, I wonder what they are planning for the med/large format cameras, or if they are opting that out as well, cause pentax is releasing a digital 31MP version of there 645?

and If i get in the change just saved me a whole lotta coin, other then the fact I JUST(as in today) ordered a new mac and now I need a Lab top.

Jan. 9, 2008, 11:40 p.m.

First sem was all film most of it 35mm for teaching i guess, and learning alot of zone system sorta stuff, developing and printing are own stuff etc. The basics really, kinda boring if u kno the stuff already, but good review i guess.

Second sem is all digital for the most part unless we want to to shoot film, advertise and achitecture have 1 or 2 4x5 assignments i belive.

School will be selling most of the pentax 645s, Enlargers, Old printers, and maybe one of the scanners, maybe a 4x5 or 2

Its definally super disapointing their taking out the black/white darkroom stuff, probally the funnest thing u can do their. But the school is on the bussness side of things which makes sense they dont need it. Plus they wernt getting many people wanting to go their cause no one wanted to "waste" time with film stuff apperently.

Also im 18, turn 19 on friday tho. Think im the second youngest person their, everyone else is in their like 20s, and some fairly older. Kinda sucks if wanna "fit in" i guess haha, i hate most of the people thier, so it dosnt bother me that much.

If anyone is worried about getting in i wouldnt, i enterd last min as a joke (havent passed grade 10 shhhhh) an im in, Just care about your money bassically, but i think they were could of just been hurting for students this year i dunno.

rectal syringes ftw

Jan. 10, 2008, 7:58 a.m.

So…not a ton of written assignments right? haha
I talked to Andrea, and she seems nice and to the point; she mentioned interviews in June, so did you not find out if you were accepted until then?

And thanks again for all the information.

by the way, are you planning on taking the digital imaging course next year?

Jan. 10, 2008, 8:15 a.m.

you related to Richard Zinger by any chance?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Jan. 10, 2008, 10:13 p.m.

So…not a ton of written assignments right? haha
I talked to Andrea, and she seems nice and to the point; she mentioned interviews in June, so did you not find out if you were accepted until then?

And thanks again for all the information.

by the way, are you planning on taking the digital imaging course next year?

you get a sent a acceptance email or letter around augest-june time, interviews are pretty short all i got asked was what im into shooting, what id like to do, why i wanna be here, what will i be doing when done school etc. Then a quick tour of the school (which is pretty tiny btw), and then over to the studios out back in a differnt building.

Jan. 10, 2008, 10:15 p.m.

you related to Richard Zinger by any chance?

I have a half brother named richard zinger, he is a chef of some sort or something

Feb. 19, 2008, 12:09 a.m.

so where are these schools?

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr