Police Chopper Over Dunbar Area?

Sept. 24, 2006, 3:37 p.m.

Yeah dude, Dunbar is a pretty expensive neigborhood, I mean, we all have different definitions of elite, but 95% of people couldnt afford to buy a house there.

Ya, I sig my own quotes.

www.gnarwhale.com

Sept. 24, 2006, 3:40 p.m.

don't be stupid and put words in my mouth. you are just trolling for another argument. I'm not that bored (maybe you are).

Dunbar is not "elite"

That is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read so far today. Dunbar is one of the most expensive places to live in the city, inhabited largely by older, more established people, compared to say, Yaletown. It's definitely part of the "elite."

Sept. 24, 2006, 3:41 p.m.

Yeah dude, Dunbar is a pretty expensive neigborhood, I mean, we all have different definitions of elite, but 95% of people couldnt afford to buy a house there.

my ex is trying to sell what was ours, so then maybe one day he can pay me back the money he owes me. I can dream can't I?

Sept. 24, 2006, 3:41 p.m.

STOP BEING STUPID. WHAT HE SAID IS TOTALLY REASONABLE.

Sept. 24, 2006, 3:56 p.m.

Dunbar here in Vancouver is considered an "elite" neighborhood, like Shaugnessey. Upper class west side and moneyed. I lived there for almost 4 years, stuck out like a sore thumb, cause money I don't have, at least not that kind of money.

Sept. 24, 2006, 3:56 p.m.

STOP BEING STUPID. WHAT HE SAID IS TOTALLY REASONABLE.

Hey, how did you get all your letters in caps?

Also, I'm pretty sure the only neighborhoods more expensive than Dunbar are Shaunessy, Those mansions on Southwest marine drive, and those houses directly opposite The UBC campus to its north and east that have fancy street signs and private police patrols.

Ya, I sig my own quotes.

www.gnarwhale.com

Sept. 24, 2006, 3:59 p.m.

i didn't realize dunbar is in toronto.

and that's a stupid fucking question, no wonder people can't stand you.

Toronto has a Dunbar neighborhood as well, more like the east side than our west side.

Sept. 24, 2006, 4:06 p.m.

sweet i love how you guys completley forget about Kits, Point Grey, Kerrisdale and Macenzie Heights.

by your standards, everywhere west of Main street is considered "elite".

Hey i now live in the "enclave" west of Denman. what difference does it make, a woman I work with and her husband just bought a small house at 47th and Dunbar, $750K, same kind of house they could have got on the east side for $275K. My ex is asking $425K for what was our 2 bedroom 2 bath condo at 17th and Dunbar. Elite is Elite

Sept. 24, 2006, 4:20 p.m.

Ok the big difference is that as staed a lot of the people living there are old timers.

When my parents bought there in 1969 it was considered an undesirable part of Vancouver. They paid about $20k for the house back then on a double sized lot. If they still lived there today it'd be worth about $1.8-2mil, none of it their doing just the way prices have gone. So if they still lived there would the carpenter and banker be considered elitist snobs just because they made good decisions??? Seems like a mighty fucking ignorant assumption. A lot our friends still live there, most of them trades people or middle management types that again bought in an undesirable area that turned around.

Shaunessey has always been the elite area since before I was born. Lots of doctors, lawyers, VP's and CEO's. Huge mansions most of them with pools. Won't find many pools in Dunbar. There's a few but not many. Heck most of the homes in Dunbar area don't even have 2 car garages.

As for the homes out in UBC - again bought decades ago by people that got a good deal for buying in an undesirable place. It's not their fault the property values have gone up.

Kerrisdale - ok they're elitist snobs. Think of themselves as part of Shaunessey and think they're better than everyone else.

But get yer fucking heads outta your ass before you call people elitist because someone else decided their homes were worth more.

Sept. 24, 2006, 4:28 p.m.

sweet i love how you guys completley forget about Kits, Point Grey, Kerrisdale and Macenzie Heights.

by your standards, everywhere west of Main street is considered "elite".

I lived in Dunbar for a few years, 32nd and Blenhiem. I moved out.
That was 6 years ago when a house was only 450k, I agree that 10-15 years ago the demographics were middle to upper middle class. not the elite but also not the poor. In the last couple of years the prices have shot up as some of the folks are trying to cash in and others are trying to hold on. Like the retired folk on fixed income and the working class that bought in earlier on. They don't have any control over the house values, or when the taxes are charged.

The point of my coment was more to the effect that the petty property crime and odd grow-op in the west side (dunbar, southlands, point grey and all the rest), does not warrant such a heavy handed police presence. The only way to justify the helicopter to some of the residents in the aformentioned areas, is to fly around looking like they are busy protecting them from the unknown, thus protecting the support of the largest tax bracket in Vancouver (not GVRD). That's it, thats all.

Sept. 24, 2006, 4:31 p.m.

Ok the big difference is that as staed a lot of the people living there are old timers.

When my parents bought there in 1969 it was considered an undesirable part of Vancouver. They paid about $20k for the house back then on a double sized lot. If they still lived there today it'd be worth about $1.8-2mil, none of it their doing just the way prices have gone. So if they still lived there would the carpenter and banker be considered elitist snobs just because they made good decisions??? Seems like a mighty fucking ignorant assumption. A lot our friends still live there, most of them trades people or middle management types that again bought in an undesirable area that turned around.

Shaunessey has always been the elite area since before I was born. Lots of doctors, lawyers, VP's and CEO's. Huge mansions most of them with pools. Won't find many pools in Dunbar. There's a few but not many. Heck most of the homes in Dunbar area don't even have 2 car garages.

As for the homes out in UBC - again bought decades ago by people that got a good deal for buying in an undesirable place. It's not their fault the property values have gone up.

Kerrisdale - ok they're elitist snobs. Think of themselves as part of Shaunessey and think they're better than everyone else.

But get yer fucking heads outta your ass before you call people elitist because someone else decided their homes were worth more.

I agree with most of what you say but as the old-timers sell out it is the moneyed elite (like the woman I work with and her husband, who is some big-wig at EA) that are buying into the neighborhood, raising the property values and turning the neighborhood into what it is. When my ex and I bought the condo we paid just over $200K for it between the two of us. Now he is asking double for it 5 years later. It is a neighborhood in transition, just like yaletown is.

Sept. 24, 2006, 4:53 p.m.

Property values have very little to do with being elitist, as does a person's actual income. Elitists have shitty attitudes, money is 2nd.

Lotsa people making more money than me that I wouldn't consider elitist, but lots of others making the same or less that like to look down their nose at other people.

For the record does anyone know if it was a police helicopter? I know the police helicopters fly around Coquitlam all the time near lafarge park. Does that mean me in my little $200k condo is an elitist? (that must explain why I'm not getting laid, the women all know I'm better than them :lol:)

Sept. 24, 2006, 5:01 p.m.

Property values have very little to do with being elitist, as does a person's actual income. Elitists have shitty attitudes, money is 2nd.

Lotsa people making more money than me that I wouldn't consider elitist, but lots of others making the same or less that like to look down their nose at other people.

For the record does anyone know if it was a police helicopter? I know the police helicopters fly around Coquitlam all the time near lafarge park. Does that mean me in my little $200k condo is an elitist? (that must explain why I'm not getting laid, the women all know I'm better than them :lol:)

heat, the women I work with is by your def an elitist. Its all about being better than everybody else with her, from her car to holt renfrew clothes, to her new little fixer upper in dunbar, as she refers to it,to sending her kids to private school so they can meet the and I quote "the best people". And don't even get me started about the ex…… Me I am happy paying a decent rent, with an ocean view downtown, shopping where I can afford to, and not worrying about keeping up with the Jones, so to speak. As for not getting laid, sugar, you just ain't trying hard enough.

Sept. 24, 2006, 5:04 p.m.

elite and elitist are not necessarily the same thing here people. you can be elite without being elitist, just like you can be elitist without being elite.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 24, 2006, 5:13 p.m.

elite and elitist are not necessarily the same thing here people. you can be elite without being elitist, just like you can be elitist without being elite.

Wow, you are smart and not just another pretty bum on the internet. LOL