Learning Autocad

Aug. 3, 2007, 12:45 p.m.

Is there any websites with tutorials ? I just got autocad 2008. Thanks

Aug. 3, 2007, 12:54 p.m.

My brother taught him self. And now at the age of 22 he runs a crew that surveys and lays out roads and HWYs.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Aug. 3, 2007, 12:54 p.m.

Yes, AutoCad is a college certified course. If you really want to learn it, and I mean really learn it, you have no choice but to take the course.

Sure you can read manuals and tutorials all day but your skills will absolutely suck and make the near $1000 program essentially the same level as a good piece of ms paint work.

Adrenalize

Aug. 3, 2007, 1:09 p.m.

Solidworks [HTML_REMOVED] Autocad

:nerd:

(For me anyway)

Aug. 3, 2007, 1:15 p.m.

Yes, AutoCad is a college certified course. If you really want to learn it, and I mean really learn it, you have no choice but to take the course.

Sure you can read manuals and tutorials all day but your skills will absolutely suck and make the near $1000 program essentially the same level as a good piece of ms paint work.

Most local colleges offer the AutoDesk certified training……although you can now challenge the exams online (for a cost).

btw…Aldo….AutoCad 2008 is listed at $3995 USD, and AutoCAD LT is $899 USD.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 3, 2007, 1:25 p.m.

I was going to say something about the price, We've got 2008 with the raster design module and it tips the scales at 10k+ for a single use license. Practical Experience [HTML_REMOVED] School. School teaches you how to do a thousand things poorly and nothing well. Mind you, If you don't know the basic commands and limitations, you're S.O.L.

Aug. 3, 2007, 1:32 p.m.

Practical Experience [HTML_REMOVED] School. School teaches you how to do a thousand things poorly and nothing well. Mind you, If you don't know the basic commands and limitations, you're S.O.L.

I agree…..

the bosses son was hired (bah!! given the job) here …he took the courses and got the cert's but he is completely missing a lot of the practical knowledge that you only get from using the program…..not to mention the fact the he now has the "I took the courses, so I know it all" attitude and has a complete lack of knowledge when it comes to standard drafting practices…..

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 3, 2007, 1:41 p.m.

I agree…..

the bosses son was hired (bah!! given the job) here …he took the courses and got the cert's but he is completely missing a lot of the practical knowledge that you only get from using the program…..not to mention the fact the he now has the "I took the courses, so I know it all" attitude and has a complete lack of knowledge when it comes to standard drafting practices…..

Totally, I find the courses are well designed for anyone drafting simple widgets, As soon as you step out of the box though…. Steep learning curve. We just hired a guy fresh out of school and I spend 3/4 of my day smashing my head against the wall in frustration. I took a short drafting class in highschool (Mostly hand drafting, Basic Acad commands in R8) but was lucky enough that when I started working in the industry to have someone to bounce ideas off.

Aug. 3, 2007, 1:47 p.m.

Totally, I find the courses are well designed for anyone drafting simple widgets, As soon as you step out of the box though…. Steep learning curve. We just hired a guy fresh out of school and I spend 3/4 of my day smashing my head against the wall in frustration. I took a short drafting class in highschool (Mostly hand drafting, Basic Acad commands in R8) but was lucky enough that when I started working in the industry to have someone to bounce ideas off.

…same with me…I think that explains the recent increased lack of hair…

try explaining how to make a 3DFACE command work to the new guy…….

the only good tip I've been able to come up with so far is using the Simpson's episode where Marge is taking a painting class (and is using a series of simple solids to make up her paintings)…..I use that one all the time to show how to build complicated solids….before editting/creating a union/etc.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 3, 2007, 1:51 p.m.

It's ashame that a lot of people don't realize the true potential of google

search up Autocad tutorial and you can learn a load! I always use google to do ANY research.

Use google, and use it often. Research is a very useful skill, especially for engineers!

Aug. 3, 2007, 1:56 p.m.

It's ashame that a lot of people don't realize the true potential of google

search up Autocad tutorial and you can learn a load! I always use google to do ANY research.

Use google, and use it often. Research is a very useful skill, especially for engineers!

Some good forums out there for sure. Great for learning obscure commands. I had one drawing corrupt and somewhere in it's dying moments it managed to turn off my 'Save as' Dialog box, Every time I used the command it appeared in my Command line….. Frustration. Long story short, Thank god for internet forums.

Aug. 3, 2007, 2:04 p.m.

It appears whoever posted before me with the price tag that I reference deleted his post. Bastard:P

Adrenalize

Aug. 3, 2007, 2:10 p.m.

Is there any websites with tutorials ? I just got autocad 2008. Thanks

Hey,

Can you operate any CADD software proficiently at this point? The reason I am asking is because they all do the same things you just need to figure out how to do that stuff in AutoCAD. I have many years of experience on diffierent CADD systems. I started out ArrisCAD, went to BuildersCAD, then AutoCAD Arch Desktop and now I'm working on AutoCAD LT. I was productive on AutoCAD after about a week of work when I switched. I had basic/crappy CADD training in college but learned everything I know now through the school of hard knocks. If you aren't currently working I would suggest you take an entry level course so that you understand the basics of the software and just play with it. Go to this forum… http://www.augi.com/forums/default.asp there is a ton of info there and everyone, literally, is very helpful and if you cant find what your looking for post and someone will help you out. As and example; I've found info on salvaging drawings so severely crashed that AutoCAD won't recognize them anymore. Shoot me a PM if you want to ask any specific question.

Aug. 3, 2007, 2:13 p.m.

I was going to say something about the price, We've got 2008 with the raster design module and it tips the scales at 10k+ for a single use license. Practical Experience [HTML_REMOVED] School. School teaches you how to do a thousand things poorly and nothing well. Mind you, If you don't know the basic commands and limitations, you're S.O.L.

Jeeze…what AutoCAD package are you using? ADT '07 was about $6k CAN and I thought was the top price wise…

Aug. 3, 2007, 3:06 p.m.

There is alot to learn… especially if you also need to know how to use CIVIL 3d an Land Development Desktop (both autoCAD based). I use CAD @ and geotechnical engineering company, and I learn something new every day.