Learning Autocad

Aug. 4, 2007, 10:53 a.m.

Not only can Solidworks model 3D parts for maching processes, it can simulate air flow, stress analysis and thermodynamics on a particular part.

THIS, is where I think Solidworks really shines.

However, I do feel that Autodesk Inventor is a little more user intuitive in terms of drawing parts, but it lacks all the simulation features.

Aug. 4, 2007, 11:35 a.m.

Not only can Solidworks model 3D parts for maching processes, it can simulate air flow, stress analysis and thermodynamics on a particular part.

THIS, is where I think Solidworks really shines.

However, I do feel that Autodesk Inventor is a little more user intuitive in terms of drawing parts, but it lacks all the simulation features.

True. Solidworks and Acad are really for different users though

Aug. 4, 2007, 12:22 p.m.

impressive…..all these posts and it hasn't slipped into the Vectorworks vs. AutoCad debate…..

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 4, 2007, 1:07 p.m.

impressive…..all these posts and it hasn't slipped into the Vectorworks vs. AutoCad debate…..

Never used vectorworks myself, but I've had to clean vectorworks architecturals many times. Not good for the architect-engineer relationship, I tell ya. :lol:

Aug. 4, 2007, 1:19 p.m.

Never used vectorworks myself, but I've had to clean vectorworks architecturals many times. Not good for the architect-engineer relationship, I tell ya. :lol:

I have a copy of Vectorworks just for converting drawings to AutoCAD……seems like Victoria is full of Vectorworks users…most of whom seem to have an issue mastering the export dwg/dxf command

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Aug. 4, 2007, 5 p.m.

I'm more up to date on autocad things now. I can draw shapes ! Yay ! hahahaha

Heatmizer, thanks !

Aug. 5, 2007, 8:36 a.m.

Anyone tell me if it's changed much from 2006 to 2008. Reason I ask is I took the basic course @ BCIT and while I'm not going to pursue it (I still play once in a while) if most of the commands and menus are the same I can give Freak my books as they're just collecting dust. Maybe not as much as you'll learn online, but if they help then why not.

All the keyboard commands are the same and the menu structure should be close. I went from ADT '06 to '08 and I didn't notice much…