Homebrew

Dec. 19, 2013, 8:54 a.m.

Grits from any grocery store.. They're always made from corn.

You could buy brown rice syrup from lots of places. What homebrew places have you looked at? I might go to Barley's today will look. Otherwise they should have it at Famous Foods.

I was looking for the roasted buckwheat, and other special grains for adding to give it beer taste.

I have brown rice syrup, and sourgum syrup from Dans. I was at barleys getting flaked wheat on the weekend and didn't see flaked rice or corn. I get my corn polenta grits from Galloway's, cheapest price i have found is there.

I was more curious if people use a cereal rest to on the non-malted/modified grains, like brown rice or grits? My questions was worded poorly.

Dec. 19, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

Has any one used Corn grits and Brown Rice for brewing?

I am trying to do a all grain Gluten Free recipe for friends and cant find alot of the adjuncts in the LHBS's in the area.

It might taste like shit, but it would be beer.

I used Clarity firm in a regular batch of Dennys wry smile ipa. I split the batch with my friend who is truely gluten intolerant and he had no ill effects. The batch tasted amazing as well. Its a enzyme that breaks down the long chain proteins that some people have problems with.

Most non barley beers will taste like crap.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 19, 2013, 9:42 a.m.

I used Clarity firm in a regular batch of Dennys wry smile ipa. I split the batch with my friend who is truely gluten intolerant and he had no ill effects. The batch tasted amazing as well. Its a enzyme that breaks down the long chain proteins that some people have problems with.

Most non barley beers will taste like crap.

I will try the Clarity Firm. Thanks

Jan. 2, 2014, 8:30 p.m.

New homebrew place in Vancouver!

http://centennialhomebrewing.com/

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Jan. 2, 2014, 9:16 p.m.

All in. Close to home, and they have amarillo pellets.

Jan. 3, 2014, 8:49 a.m.

New homebrew place in Vancouver!

http://centennialhomebrewing.com/

Very interesting!
I got a Coopers kit (Red ale) for Christmas because someone heard I 'like to make beer'. Anyways, think I may try to improve it with a partial mash or some steeped grains. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Jan. 3, 2014, 9:14 a.m.

Very interesting!
I got a Coopers kit (Red ale) for Christmas because someone heard I 'like to make beer'. Anyways, think I may try to improve it with a partial mash or some steeped grains. Any ideas?

I've never seen the inside of a coopers kit.

Jan. 3, 2014, 10:05 a.m.

I've never seen the inside of a coopers kit.

Sorry, Brewhouse kit, this one; http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/product/Brewhouse-Red-Ale?pageID=75874baf-db19-599f-4eab-388fa78e78f4[HTML_REMOVED]sortBy=ProductTitle[HTML_REMOVED]maxRows=10[HTML_REMOVED]

It's essentially a concentrated 3-gal bag of wort.

Jan. 3, 2014, 12:34 p.m.

My sister got me this kit for Christmas. Anybody ever had one of these?

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-kits/everyday-ipa-1-gal-kit

I've never had an urge to brew my own beer but I enjoy drinking it so maybe this will catch on.

Im wondering about bottles. Instructions say to leave in in the carboy for 2 weeks then bottle it and let stand for 2 more weeks. I have a few of the 1L HSB bottles with the flip top. Do these bottles seal up good enough or should I find a bottle capping tool and just use smaller bottles?

Jan. 3, 2014, 12:54 p.m.

^ You can bottle straight into the Howe Sound bottles and use the flip top to cap, no need for a capper.

Jan. 3, 2014, 2:52 p.m.

^ You can bottle straight into the Howe Sound bottles and use the flip top to cap, no need for a capper.

Right on. Thanks. Ill let you all know how it goes.

Jan. 3, 2014, 9:14 p.m.

Right on. Thanks. Ill let you all know how it goes.

Clean clean clean. Then clean some more. And you'll be good. If the HS bottles haven't been cleaned well, soak em in some oxyclean.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 4, 2014, 7:40 a.m.

Sorry, Brewhouse kit, this one; http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/product/Brewhouse-Red-Ale?pageID=75874baf-db19-599f-4eab-388fa78e78f4[HTML_REMOVED]sortBy=ProductTitle[HTML_REMOVED]maxRows=10[HTML_REMOVED]

It's essentially a concentrated 3-gal bag of wort.

Ahhh errrr, sell it to someone and buy grain with the profits.

Jan. 4, 2014, 9:48 a.m.

Did you know those RJS kits are allgrain brewed in Delta? They're a great option for someone starting out with only a bucket needed. Just ditch their dry yeast and get a fresh liquid yeast smackpack. You could easily add a dry hop.

Jan. 6, 2014, 9:50 p.m.

Anyone have experience making non-hopped beers? Had a sampling of these from Williams Bros in Scotland, and am contemplating looking for heather or elderberries. The Ebulum and Fraoch were very good. I didn't really like the Scots Pine (Pine-sol)or the Gooseberry Wheat (too sweet).

Some interesting historical reading on Gruit Ales here.

HBT has some Elderberry recipes, but not much more information on what/how to brew differently.

Does anyone know where to find Elderberries or Heather? Do the grow in BC?