BC drought and water use (merged)

July 10, 2015, 3:13 p.m.

Is the water right out of the resevoir safe to drink and they add bleach just to be safe? Thanks

- Fire protection designer (20yrs)

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

July 10, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

Is the water right out of the resevoir safe to drink and they add bleach just to be safe? Thanks

- Fire protection designer (20yrs)

Water is treated prior to it being stored in reservoirs in most municipal systems (think the big concrete tanks / structures all over most towns and cities).

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 10, 2015, 3:40 p.m.

How often does a fire protection system go off? Could you pump sea water into Vancouver's fire protection main? What about the fish?

You might already know this but Vancouver has 2 fire systems.

The blue hydrants are for sea water to be used in the case of earthquake that takes out the municipal water system.

http://spacing.ca/vancouver/2014/11/10/doors-open-vancouver-false-creek-pump-station/

July 10, 2015, 4:06 p.m.

Yes, thanks Craig. San Fran has a similar system as well.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

July 10, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

Water is treated prior to it being stored in reservoirs in most municipal systems (think the big concrete tanks / structures all over most towns and cities).

Let me re-phrase the question.

Does the municipality really have to add chemicals to make our water safe or do they mostly add the chemicals just to make sure that bacteria doesn't grow on its way to the consumer?

Most bacteria test I see pass but that is just after the city street connection.

July 10, 2015, 4:14 p.m.

this is why i get up in the middle of the night, go out to the street, lift up the manhole cover and just poop right into the sewer - so i can save my water for important things like washing the car. if i need to pee i just go water the lawn and take care of two things at once.

I don't even lift the manhole cover. Why put the extra strain on the sewer system? I am a model citizen.

I think the solution is to;

1)buy a shitload of imported beer.(local beer puts a strain on our water supply)
2)Drink the beer.
3)Pee in Capilano lake.
4)Repeat as necessary.

What could possibly go wrong?

July 10, 2015, 4:17 p.m.

Let me re-phrase the question.

Does the municipality really have to add chemicals to make our water safe or do they mostly add the chemicals just to make sure that bacteria doesn't grow on its way to the consumer?

Most bacteria test I see pass but that is just after the city street connection.

The answer to your question is both.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 10, 2015, 6:25 p.m.

How often does a fire protection system go off? Could you pump sea water into Vancouver's fire protection main? What about the fish?

All the blue fire hydrants in downtown van are seawater hydrants, using diesel powered pumps so they work if power fails during a disaster like an earthquake.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 10, 2015, 6:29 p.m.

this is why i get up in the middle of the night, go out to the street, lift up the manhole cover and just poop right into the sewer - so i can save my water for important things like washing the car. if i need to pee i just go water the lawn and take care of two things at once.

I don't park my car in a garage or under shelter, so my car gets a wash every time it rains. I like to think of it as God washing my car for me. Drought? I guess God's on vacation. BTW, I said I'm lazy, and not necessarily anal-retentive about water conservation. But kudos to you for going the extra mile.

So we should design water systems so people can water their lawns with treated potable water?

Actually we do - and it's the stupidest western civilization affectation ever. Water systems get sized for peak hour flow plus fire flow (the water needed to fight fires). Peak hour flow is solely due to IRRIGATION OF LAWNS!

The actual domestic water we need is miniscule in comparison to what fuck wits use to water their lawns.

The amount of public money spent so fuck wits can have green lawns is ridiculous - fully 2/3rds of the costs of water systems can be attributed to lawns.

Are you mocking the perceived necessity of planting grass lawns in what is effectively a rainforest biome? People in Vancouver spend lots of money trying to keep this lawns free from moss as well. Pray for a plague of European chafer beetles.

July 10, 2015, 6:30 p.m.

So it appears the rewoga is an engineer and likely has more knowledge about the local water and sewage systems than most of us on the boards.

I believe it was already asked, but what is it that you do spinner? Or as posted before Do you work for Nestle.

And KenN has been designing automation, SCADA and instrumentation systems for the municipal water and wastewater industry for 15 years.

July 10, 2015, 7:11 p.m.

And Spinner knows a wireless monitoring company that installed systems for municipal well-head monitoring. What Walkerton demonstrated and has been proven is that the water all over our Nation needs constant monitoring and that has not always been done as required.

Please explain all the boil-water advisories that have existed across Canada in the last 5 to 10 years.

Who needs bottled water - when boiling it usually does the trick.

But that's besides the point.

Fun fact - bottled water is regulated as a food product, which means a lower standard than municipal water

OK - sure if the standard is a municipal testing standard. That assumes that Nestle does not test water to an equal standard - or better.

But lower quality? Doubt that folks. I guarantee you 100% that Nestle water is safer than any major Canadian municipal water supply with the possible exception to snow-melt and fresh water river fed reservoir systems.

Water systems get sized for peak hour flow plus fire flow (the water needed to fight fires). Peak hour flow is solely due to IRRIGATION OF LAWNS!

The actual domestic water we need is miniscule in comparison to what fuck wits use to water their lawns.

Wrong. Peak water usage is designed for Super Bowl half times. That is the biggest water consumption any system will ever deal with.

July 10, 2015, 7:26 p.m.

Walkerton was 15 years ago. It's over, monitoring and treatment standards have been improved many times over since then. There hasn't been a repeat in any water system since then. Give it up. Walkerton is not a valid data point in 2015.

July 10, 2015, 7:28 p.m.

Washing your car is purely an act of vanity and a polluting waste of water, says me, the world's laziest car owner. (And yes, as with my own beauty, my car is filthy on the inside as well as the outside).

Washing your car removes the oxidants that reduce the lifespan of the paint. The paint protects the metal, which corrodes quickly once exposed. So washing your car makes it last longer. Even if you are a cheap bugger, you can understand making something last longer so you delay the price of another large purchase.

July 10, 2015, 7:42 p.m.

Please explain all the boil-water advisories that have existed across Canada in the last 5 to 10 years.

A 250 years dead Presbyterian Minister can.

Or has Nestle Six Sigma'd all their fucking errors away like the fucking champs they are?

July 10, 2015, 7:45 p.m.

As long as you keep it plutonic

Platonic.

I guess you live in a home without lead solder in your pipes. Or you like high levels of some metals that are present in some city systems.

Yes. Yes, I do. In fact, lead content in water piping has been banned in Canada in the US since 1975. Leaded solder has been banned for water piping since 1986. So any house built after that has no lead. Most houses built in the last 5 or 6 years are using almost 100% PEX piping. So the FUD you're trying to spread about lead is pure bullshit.

Metallics leeching into water from piping happens when the water is static, and any suspended metals will flush through if you run the water for 40-60 seconds.

City distribution systems use either plastic piping or lined pipe, so the drinking water does not contact metallics in distribution.

Your claim is false.

Or perhaps you forget that city treated water in some areas carries dangerous levels of E-Coli (Walkerton anyone?). But if it wasn't for bottled water, people would still be reaching for a can of Pepsi and there is no way that Pepsi is making it's way into my water utility pipes. City water turbidity issues aside, bottled water (Nestle or Coca Cola's Reverse Osmosis) is generally of consistent high quality and very convenient.

What turbidity issues? Most city systems I've worked with run 1.0 NTU or less. Any particulates remaining are too small to have any effect on treatment, and too small to be pulled out by modern filtration systems. There is, frankly, no benefit to further filtration.

City water is great but not the be-all-and-end-all of good water procurement. Bottled water fills a legit gap in our water-economy. It never prevents anyone from going to a tap.

And what gap would that be. Other than figuratively waving your arms, where is this gap? Treated, drinkable water is available at the tap for more than 90% of Canadians. Most of the places where properly treated water is not available are very remote, and typically native reservations (another tragedy, but Nestle sure isn't filling that gap).

Consider this: the government rakes in both exorbitant Corporate taxes (From Nestle Canada)

Ha ha. Amongst the lowest taxation regimes in the developed world = "exorbitant"

From a government revenue perspective, it would make perfect sense to give Nestle the water for FREE because Nestle generates a lot of loonies in the provincial coffers. The HST alone is waaaaaaayy waaaaay more than any citizen pays per litre.

How much HST is paid on bottled water exported to the US?

The amount of fresh water generated in BC is obscene. Just look at the Gazzillions of litres of water that flow down the Columbia River watershed each day (each second for that matter). Or how about the flow of the Fraser River. For Gosh sakes, the Fraser is almost the second highest flowing river in the world for a few months of every year.

Blah blah blah yadda blah blah

Ah yes, of course. The old "look at this resource … how dare we NOT extract the shit out of it".

That's been a huge success so many times in the past.

A gazillion … that's a one followed by how many zeroes again?

Fucking tripe.