Capitalocene

Sept. 7, 2012, 11:38 a.m.

The Current: The Anthropocene

'Unprecedented'

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Last edited by: tungsten on July 22, 2017, 11:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 7, 2012, 4:53 p.m.

doom pron is good food

from the comments

'The Earth will sort itself out - whether we're here or not. If we've created the situation, then we may pay for it, the earth however, will live on. There have been major disasters in the past from meteorites and volcanic activity - and eventually it cleans itself up. We're just tourists.'

Sept. 7, 2012, 5:01 p.m.

doom pron is good food

from the comments

'The Earth will sort itself out - whether we're here or not. If we've created the situation, then we may pay for it, the earth however, will live on. There have been major disasters in the past from meteorites and volcanic activity - and eventually it cleans itself up. We're just tourists.'

YEAH fuck all the innocent animals and other living organisms along for our super irresponsible joy ride, I want to drive a H@ so people will look at me and think wow that guy is well off and soooo fucking cool.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 7, 2012, 5:17 p.m.

YEAH fuck all the innocent animals and other living organisms along for our super irresponsible joy ride, I want to drive a H@ so people will look at me and think wow that guy is well off and soooo fucking cool.

That we as a species have decided that survival of us and other species is important, does not alter the fact that in the grand scheme of things we are just a blip. Other "things" went before, many more will come after.

Cheers Ben

Sept. 7, 2012, 5:31 p.m.

That we as a species have decided that survival of us and other species is important, does not alter the fact that in the grand scheme of things we are just a blip. Other "things" went before, many more will come after.

Cheers Ben

what is that some kind of excuse?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 7, 2012, 7:27 p.m.

Yeah we are just one of many experiments that may or may not make it. Who cares….god?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Sept. 7, 2012, 7:37 p.m.

what is that some kind of excuse?

Some blindly think humans have no impact on earths environment coupled with the fact that climate change and significant earth changes are a cycle.

I do believe humans teck and greed have totally stunk up the environment, air, water.
Sadly it will take total financial collapse to actually save mankind if not the earth will do what it needs to do to restore itself without the greedy cancer living on it.

With that said its hard to know just how much climate change is man made or a natural cycle…the sun has electromagnetic influences and is at a solar maximum now an 11 year cycle while not climate changing it does affect weather. Celestial bodies can influence the earth gravitational y and a large enough meteor impact would cause global cooling.

Alls it would take for global cooling is two or three super volcano's going off at once we would see ice return and a lot off it.

Sept. 7, 2012, 7:45 p.m.

Yeah we are just one of many experiments that may or may not make it. Who cares….god?

The quote was just from comments at the bottom of article.

Not many seem to care and as long is there are mega corporations around with big money nothing will be done to change the system.

I hope there is a god who cares.

Sept. 7, 2012, 8:57 p.m.

"In a paper in Geophysical Letters last March entitled [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;Evidence linking Arctic amplification to extreme weather in mid-latitudes", Jennifer Francis of Rutgers University and Stephen Vavrus of the University of Wisconsin[HTML_REMOVED]#8211;Madison offered a hypothesis that may explain why world grain prices have risen 30 percent in the past four months (and are still going up).

First, a warmer Arctic reduces the temperature gradient between the temperate and polar zones. That, in turn, slows the wind speeds in the zone between the two and increases the [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;wave amplitude[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; of the jet stream.

The jet stream flows around the planet in great swooping curves, like a river crossing a flat plain, and those curves[HTML_REMOVED]#8212;Rossby waves, in scientific language[HTML_REMOVED]#8212;are getting bigger and slower.

The bigger amplitude means the Rossby waves reach farther down into the temperate zone than they used to, and the slower winds means that the waves take more time to track across any given territory. The weather north of the jet stream is wet and cold (even warmer Arctic air is still pretty cold), and to the south it is dry and warm. And now, many temperate regions of the planet are stuck in one kind of weather or the other for much longer periods.

This is a recipe for extreme weather. In the old days the Rossby waves went past fast, bringing the alternation of rainy and sunny weather that characterized the mid-latitude climate. Now they hang around much longer and generate more extreme weather events: droughts and heat waves, or prolonged rain and flooding, or blizzards and long, hard freezes. "

http://www.straight.com/print/769621

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 8, 2012, 8:28 a.m.

earth getting ready to percolate

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/06/mount-fuji

Obama: "climate change is no hoax"

change you can believe in lol
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/global-warming/Climate-change-is-not-a-hoax-says-Barack-Obama/articleshow/16292759.cms

Sept. 8, 2012, 11:32 a.m.

I do believe humans teck and greed have totally stunk up the environment, air, water.
Sadly it will take total financial collapse to actually save mankind if not the earth will do what it needs to do to restore itself without the greedy cancer living on it.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/intelligent-energy/caffeine-pollutes-pacific-ocean/18288

And it's not just caffeine that is now in the oceans, everything we ingest, from antibiotics
to drugs (even THC) goes into the ocean to be then ingested by small organism only to be
concentrated in the larger animals like Salmon, the (bottom feeding) crabs, the prawns that
filter our waters, clams, and oysters…which then get concentrated in the larger animals
that eat them like Orca, Minkes, and of course us.

The sewage treatment plants don't get rid of these things, so when you eat that seafood
you're eating all that shit we put into the ocean.

People that "don't believe" we're affecting the planet are ignorant or make money polluting.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 8, 2012, 6:40 p.m.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/intelligent-energy/caffeine-pollutes-pacific-ocean/18288

And it's not just caffeine that is now in the oceans, everything we ingest, from antibiotics
to drugs (even THC) goes into the ocean to be then ingested by small organism only to be
concentrated in the larger animals like Salmon, the (bottom feeding) crabs, the prawns that
filter our waters, clams, and oysters…which then get concentrated in the larger animals
that eat them like Orca, Minkes, and of course us.

The sewage treatment plants don't get rid of these things, so when you eat that seafood
you're eating all that shit we put into the ocean.

People that "don't believe" we're affecting the planet are ignorant or make money polluting.

I try to imagine what nature, oceans and food was like pre industrial or even a hundred years ago…so much has changed.

Sept. 8, 2012, 8:25 p.m.

I try to imagine what nature, oceans and food was like pre industrial or even a hundred years ago…so much has changed.

In the 20+ yrs I did snorkel trips, I noticed a massive drop in the amount of sharks of
all sizes. From the small reef sharks to the large tigers. My spearo friends in California
have noticed the same thing. The loss of the worlds sharks are scarier to me than the world
heating up even twice what they say is bad (2C?).

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 8, 2012, 10:50 p.m.

**"Just as the baseball season now stretches nearly into November, and the National Football League keeps adding games, so the summer season is in danger of extending on both ends, a kind of megalomaniac power grab fueled by the carbon pouring into the atmosphere.

This summer has seen record heat waves and wildfires in the U.S, the worst flooding in Beijing[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s modern history, and droughts that devastated the U.S. corn crop and led India to set up [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;refugee camps[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; for livestock. These extreme events were not freak occurrences [HTML_REMOVED]#8212; this is how the earth works now."**

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/mckibben_summer_of_weather_extremes_signifies_new_climate_normal/2568/

Sept. 9, 2012, 12:26 a.m.

Story goes that when the first European ships traversed the coast of Newfoundland, they boats were slowed down by the amount of fish in the water. Crewman were throwing buckets (with ropes attached) overboard and pulling in fish in the buckets.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells