Road Gearing...help!

Feb. 24, 2006, 9:39 a.m.

So i just picked up my new race bike. the gearing is:

10 speed
12-27 cassette
50 x 36t chainring

here's my dilemna… i've been told by some to keep it - as the races in BC are quite hilly. I've been told by others to get the standard 53 x 39t chainrings…as i will get 'dropped' (probably more in crits)

What do ya'll think? Keep in mind that i'm a woman, and not as strong as a man running a 53x39.

Feb. 24, 2006, 10:21 a.m.

I would just ride it and see how it works out. I could see how the 50T would limit you on alpine descents, not so sure about crits (I do not race).

Switching chainrings is pretty easy, the only thing you will need is a longer chain if you upgrade the large ring. (Keep the shorter chain in case you decided to switch back to the 50T for certain races or early season training.)

BTW, here is a gear inch calculator that will give you an idea of how your shifting and top/low end will be affected by gear choice.

http://www.campagnolo.com/sviluppo.php

You might also consider switching out your cassette for a tighter range for crits. (You might not need the 27T.)

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 24, 2006, 10:24 a.m.

Change your name too ROADgal.

I'm running 53-39t on my bike at the moment and at first found it a bit much but i've gotten stronger in the past few weeks i guess and it doesn't bother me nearly as much anymore. The 39t is a large "small" ring in my opinion though, if i wasn't in the shape i'm in now - i'd probably drop it down to 36t. I am a guy mind you so i can't give you the female point of view…

Feb. 24, 2006, 10:31 a.m.

There's a nice calulator here too.

I just bought a new bike as well, but with a 53-39 setup and 12-23 in the rear. I rode to work this morning (N.Van to Burnaby) and was pushing hard to get up the Second Narrows. It wasn't a killer though, so without a backpack, and in race shape that wouldn't be a problem. I'm swapping out the cassette next week for a 12-27. That should be all I need.

I've also tried the bike on the steepest hill in N.Van (19th street). I use this as a testing ground for gearing - if I can get up that, I can get up anything. It was a collossal struggle with this gearing, but I got up. The 27T should make the difference for me.

As sanrensho said, try what you have first, then make the switch if needed.

Feb. 24, 2006, 10:40 a.m.

Some good advice on the low-low. I think her biggest concern should be the 50x12. If she's doing a pack sprint on a dead straight, flat finish, is she going to run out of gears?

On an alpine descent, she could definitely spin out on a 50x12, especially if she's drafting.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 24, 2006, 10:43 a.m.

Some good advice on the low-low. I think her biggest concern should be the 50x12. If she's doing a pack sprint on a dead straight, flat finish, is she going to run out of gears?

On an alpine descent, she could definitely spin out on a 50x12, especially if she's drafting.

True.

Feb. 24, 2006, 10:53 a.m.

50x12,this is definitely what concerns me - i think that i would spin out. i haven't brought out my new bike yet, but my winter bike has 53x39 gearing and i do use the big ring all the time (decents, flats, and sprinting) and i definitely drop into the 53x12 on decents, without drafting.

Feb. 24, 2006, 10:57 a.m.

There's a nice calulator here too.

I just bought a new bike as well, but with a 53-39 setup and 12-23 in the rear. I rode to work this morning (N.Van to Burnaby) and was pushing hard to get up the Second Narrows. It wasn't a killer though, so without a backpack, and in race shape that wouldn't be a problem. I'm swapping out the cassette next week for a 12-27. That should be all I need.

I've also tried the bike on the steepest hill in N.Van (19th street). I use this as a testing ground for gearing - if I can get up that, I can get up anything. It was a collossal struggle with this gearing, but I got up. The 27T should make the difference for me.

As sanrensho said, try what you have first, then make the switch if needed.

second narrows and 19th - i'm assuming that you where running 53, 23?
i have ridden up 21st and have to drop to 39, 12 at the end. Next to impossible for me to climb (seated) in a 53, unless i'm pedalling +/- 70 rpm..

Feb. 24, 2006, 11:22 a.m.

keep the c/d, use a 12-27 for hills and a 11-23 for flat crits, etc.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

Feb. 24, 2006, 11:25 a.m.

second narrows and 19th - i'm assuming that you where running 53, 23?

Those were climbing tests, not decending.

Feb. 24, 2006, 11:31 a.m.

50x12,this is definitely what concerns me - i think that i would spin out.

What is the tallest gear you use right now on the flats? With a lead out and in a race situation, you can expect to go even faster.

Feb. 24, 2006, 11:37 a.m.

Those were climbing tests, not decending.

yes, sorry, i mean - where you in the bike ring climbing?

Feb. 24, 2006, 11:47 a.m.

All this gearing talk is making me think we need to organize a group road ride here on the Shore.

Feb. 24, 2006, 12:12 p.m.

Thanks for all the advice! I think that it comes down to having to try it and deciphering what's best from there… It's just expensive to go keep switching back and forth, but i guess that's just the nature of the game.

We should do a Shore roadie ride.

Feb. 24, 2006, 1:13 p.m.

yes, sorry, i mean - where you in the bike ring climbing?

Big ring on the Second Narrows, small on 19th. I was commuting today, so I wasn't going for record speeds. I doubt anyone could climb 19th on the big ring - even with a 27 on the rear.