Best road climbs (alpine) in BC?

June 22, 2007, 11 p.m.

quibbles from south island:

A new subdivision has significantly extended Malahat [HTML_REMOVED] well travelled climbs like Maple, Prevost [HTML_REMOVED] Richards are awesome on 'cross bike. There are plenty of others too, but conditions are variable.

That said, look elsewhere for big skinny tire climbs.

June 23, 2007, 3:43 p.m.

Highway 24 Little Fort to the Summit if you are in the area, although not that long I would guess 8 to 10 kms of pretty steep climbing and another 6 km's to the summit not so steep. Wouldn't be a destination type ride, only if in the area, main hill is three lanes rest is two, not a ton of traffic.

What about the Lac Le Jeune road? Is it all paved now?? I remember camping at Lac Le Jeune and thinking the climb up there would be awesome…but then the pavement ended…

June 28, 2007, 6:44 a.m.

Penticton to Apex. Climbs from 340 m in town to 1740 m in 33 km. That seems mild at 4[HTML_REMOVED]#37; average but the last 11 km contains half of the vertical. There are ramps well over 10%. Pretty quiet road in summer time, a bit of gravel or sand in the corners sometimes.

Anarchist Pass east from Osoyoos starts well but becomes a series long gradual slogs after the intense switchbacks right out of town. Better to do the IronMan Canada circuit Penticton-Keremeos-Penticton via Richter Pass and Twin Lakes summit. 180 km and 1200 m of climbing. Hot times in the area of 4.5 hrs on race day.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

June 28, 2007, 8:42 a.m.

All the Okanagan ski hills have good roads up them. The back road to Apex from Hedley is really cool, but gravel.

For sheer epicness, the Vermilion Pass from Banff to Radium is top notch, and you can soak in the hot springs on the Radium end.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

April 26, 2011, 12:18 a.m.

Reviving this thread. Looks like I will finally be doing the Revelstoke climb and Vermillion Pass during a road trip this summer.

What would be the major alpine road climbs in Jasper/Kelowna? I can probably fit in one more climb. I guess Big White would be one for Kelowna?

Thanks.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 26, 2011, 6:34 a.m.

Penask Summit from Kelowna. I've done this a few times…settle in for a long climb.

The climb from Kamloops to Sun Peaks has some great scenery and empty roads during the summer. Same w/ Kelowna to Big White.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

April 26, 2011, 5:25 p.m.

Damn, looks like Vermillion Pass might get nixed, so are there any big climbs in or around Canmore?

Penask Summit from Kelowna. I've done this a few times…settle in for a long climb.

The climb from Kamloops to Sun Peaks has some great scenery and empty roads during the summer. Same w/ Kelowna to Big White.

Thanks Dude, am I right to guess that there would be less traffic going up Big White Rd. versus Pennask? And the main climb starts at the juncture of Hwy 33 and Big White Rd?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 26, 2011, 5:34 p.m.

Damn, looks like Vermillion Pass might get nixed, so are there any big climbs in or around Canmore?

Highway 40 - Highwood Pass. Beautiful scenery [HTML_REMOVED] wildlife.

April 26, 2011, 6 p.m.

Highway 40 - Highwood Pass. Beautiful scenery [HTML_REMOVED] wildlife.

Awesome, thanks. This could be the ticket for Canmore area-I'll get the wife to drop me off at the North Gate and climb to the top, 17 km and 500 m elevation gain.

Edited to Add: Mike T, do you know where exactly the North Winter Gate is on Hwy 40?

April 26, 2011, 6:12 p.m.

Awesome, thanks. This could be the ticket for Canmore area-I'll get the wife to drop me off at the North Gate and climb to the top, 17 km and 500 m elevation gain.

Ya, I think the Pass is the highest public road in Canada, or something like that. It's a beautiful area.

When are you planning to do this ride? They don't open the gate until July, I think.

April 26, 2011, 6:21 p.m.

Ya, I think the Pass is the highest public road in Canada, or something like that. It's a beautiful area.

When are you planning to do this ride? They don't open the gate until July, I think.

I'll be doing it in the 2nd week of July. Is this what they mean by "north winter gate"?

http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kananaskis/Snowshoeing_Trails_PDFs/Highway_40.pdf

April 26, 2011, 6:37 p.m.

I'll be doing it in the 2nd week of July. Is this what they mean by "north winter gate"?

http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kananaskis/Snowshoeing_Trails_PDFs/Highway_40.pdf

Yeah. There is a gate at either end. I think it's about 35 miles, gate to gate. You can ride whenever you want if the road is snow-free but it isn't open to vehicle traffic until mid-June or early July. Sounds like you should be fine.

April 26, 2011, 6:43 p.m.

Yeah. There is a gate at either end. I think it's about 35 miles, gate to gate. You can ride whenever you want if the road is snow-free but it isn't open to vehicle traffic until mid-June or early July. Sounds like you should be fine.

Perfect, thanks.

April 26, 2011, 6:49 p.m.

Highwood Pass is a good area to spot Grizzlies. Keep your eyes peeled.

April 26, 2011, 9:41 p.m.

Thanks Dude, am I right to guess that there would be less traffic going up Big White Rd. versus Pennask? And the main climb starts at the juncture of Hwy 33 and Big White Rd?

Yes and yes, but w/ the Penask, there is plenty of shoulder. Never felt in danger going up there.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.