Best road climbs (alpine) in BC?

May 21, 2011, 11:36 p.m.

Great info, the lunch option for keeping the family occupied is especially helpful. The BC Parks site says, "Not recommended for road bikes." Should I ignore this, or bring cyclocross tires?

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/activ2/b.aspx

I have the family and kids to think about, so that's why I alway make sure they have something to do so I can get mine.

The last time I rode the Moraine road was over 10 years ago, but it is paved the whole way and open to traffic. I wouldn't hesitate to take my cross bike/winter trainer with 25 wide regular road tires on it, it was a bit rough. Maybe leave the super light 23's at home but 32 or 35 cross tire would be overkill, IMO. If you want to do the gravel climb out of Canmore to Whiteman's Gap when you get to there, then bring them but its a really rough climb up the gravel.

The one road listed below moraine lake, the historic 1A to the BC border would be a lot rougher as it has been closed for 15 years almost. Hope it helps.

May 21, 2011, 11:52 p.m.

I have the family and kids to think about, so that's why I alway make sure they have something to do so I can get mine.

The last time I rode the Moraine road was over 10 years ago, but it is paved the whole way and open to traffic. I wouldn't hesitate to take my cross bike/winter trainer with 25 wide regular road tires on it, it was a bit rough. Maybe leave the super light 23's at home but 32 or 35 cross tire would be overkill, IMO. If you want to do the gravel climb out of Canmore to Whiteman's Gap when you get to there, then bring them but its a really rough climb up the gravel.

The one road listed below moraine lake, the historic 1A to the BC border would be a lot rougher as it has been closed for 15 years almost. Hope it helps.

Super, thanks. I think I'll try to convince the family to meet me at Moraine Lake.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 8, 2011, 3:24 p.m.

If anyone else is thinking of doing the Revelstoke climb this year, note that it is closed past the 15 km point due to a landslide. No ET on when the repairs will be completed.:(

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/125183918.html

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 18, 2011, 1:02 p.m.

Here's my report from last week in the Banff/Jasper area. Was able to sneak away for a few climbs, so it was nice to actually work up an appetite and maintain some fitness while on vacation with the family.

Revelstoke/Meadows in the Sky Parkway: As posted above, only open to the 15 km point due to a landslide. Nothing too steep to the 15k point, I'd say comparable to Cypress. Some sections of smooth pavement, but mostly (rough) asphalt, almost washboard on the way down. No problems climbing up on 23c tires, but I'd seriously consider wider, cushier tires (28c) for descending this again. Or best of all, get a ride down.

Definitely going back at some point to ride all 27k of the climb. Great switchback climb.

Canmore: Did not make it to Highwood Pass but did a quick ride out of Canmore. Rode out to Grassi Lakes (past the Nordic Centre), then backtracked and rode part of the Three Sisters Parkway. Good out and back ride with some climbing. Windy. Bow Valley Bike Path to Banff looks fun.

Marmot Basin, Jasper: Wicked switchback climb to the ski resort. Nice wide road, asphalt but smooth and no problem descending on 23c tires. Pretty much deserted when I went up (Friday late morning). Highlights were running into a grizzly and two cubs as I was coming out of a switchback on the way up. Fortunately, a Parks truck just happened to pass at the same moment. The driver wedged right next to the mama bear and cubs so I could pass safely.

Second highlight was running into a huge wolf standing in the middle of the road, as I was descending at 65 km/h. At this point, I was glad that I had brought my cross bike, because my howling cantis scared the wolf off as soon as I grabbed the brakes. Too bad I couldn't take a picture, the wolf had distinct black/white markings almost like a Husky. Beautiful.

I didn't find much info on this climb, but it starts ascending as soon as you turn off the Icefields Parkway. Sign says 14 km, paved road ends at the ski resort. Some ramps but also two sections on the climb that actually descend for a bit. Just under 49 minutes to the top. Awesome ride and only 6 km or so from town.

Rose Hill, Kamloops: Short, uber steep and fun, and the only time I used my 34x27 gear. Was in the red and used the 34x27 for probably 90% of this climb. This was like a 4 x 5 min. interval, took about 24 minutes and change from the start of Rose Hill Road to where the pavement ends (marked by the rusty water reservoir).

Stopped hyperventilating enough to load the bike in the car and drive the remainder of Rose Hill Road on gravel. An enjoyable route and very doable on 700x35c cross tires, but the paved climb itself would be way more fun on a light road bike.

I need to figure out a way to get back to Kamloops to do this on better legs.

Aug. 22, 2011, 11:53 a.m.

I have not seen that anyone has posted Anarchist Mountain. This is an annual ritual for me….I go back for about a week of riding in OK every August and Anarchist Mountain is my early morning staple. The climb from Osoyoos to the rest area is about 1.25 hours for 8-9% with good pavement and you can continue from there further towards Rock Creek though the climbing mellows with some uphill and downhill thrown in for good measure. Traffic is relatively light and you will almost always meet some riding comrades on your way. Vistas during the first hour or so are to die for and if you are out early enough, you will almost certainly see deer and occasionally will see bear and rattlesnakes in the ditches. Pretty cool.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Aug. 22, 2011, 2:20 p.m.

I have not seen that anyone has posted Anarchist Mountain. This is an annual ritual for me….I go back for about a week of riding in OK every August and Anarchist Mountain is my early morning staple. The climb from Osoyoos to the rest area is about 1.25 hours for 8-9% with good pavement and you can continue from there further towards Rock Creek though the climbing mellows with some uphill and downhill thrown in for good measure. Traffic is relatively light and you will almost always meet some riding comrades on your way. Vistas during the first hour or so are to die for and if you are out early enough, you will almost certainly see deer and occasionally will see bear and rattlesnakes in the ditches. Pretty cool.

Driven up it in a vehicle … it looks awesome. You are quickly transported to a different world once you climb out of the flat basin of Lake Osoyoos. Drove my wife nuts calling it AntiChrist Mountain …

Sept. 14, 2011, 1:39 p.m.

Registration for the 2011 edition of the Mount Revelstoke Steamer Hill Climb race in now available. This is an individual time trial up 27km from 'Rain Forest to Snow Forest to Not Forest'.

56-year old Olav Stana sets new course record

Sept. 15, 2011, 12:55 p.m.

I'll reiterate Mt. Washington as was a few pages back. Way tougher than Cypress/Seymour and much more varied/interesting grades etc.

If you are talking about Kamloops google map "paul lake"… not a huge climb at 500m but beautful loop heading east out of kamloops. It's been 10 yrs since I did it but it was a nice climb out of Kamloops with a bit a gravel once at the top if you are heading east as I remember. Really pretty ride. Spits you out near little shushap. Maybe a local can clarify on gravel content as it's been a while but I did it on road bike with no probelms.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15170022

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/31657010

Aug. 17, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

The Postill Lake road is so insanely steep in places you will think you may just have died, and not gone to heaven, but fun.

Too many good ones to list them all. Send me an email or PM.

Good info all around. I didn't get to any new climbs this year, but it sounds like I need to visit the Kelowna area again next year. Will get in touch if I do.

Marmot was special for being nearly deserted and the wildlife. I missed out big time by not doing the Cavell Rd. climb while I was there.

http://app.strava.com/runs/10834478

Aug. 17, 2012, 12:50 p.m.

Have you seen the Rapha film with Alex Steida in Jasper?

Yes, awesome stuff. I keep meaning to post it in a new thread.

Aug. 20, 2012, 11:35 a.m.

Mount Washington (Strathcona Parkway) is a pretty good hill climb.

yeah, I tried that from Courtenay last week, it was harder than I thought, especially at the bottom! Strava calls it a Cat 2 with a Cat 1 on top after a short flattish section in between. I turned around at the top of the Cat 2 due to time, not to mention a twinge of unwillingness to suffer alone for another full hour! ;)

Aug. 24, 2012, 8:53 p.m.

Mt.Constitution on Orcas Isl.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.