NSMB Healthiest Me 2013/2014 intro and goals thread

May 16, 2014, 9:44 p.m.

Ahhh….I'm in..

6`2 or so, 235 lbs,not concerned with strenght,but my cardio has gone to shit and both shoulders are messed up from old injuries.

My goal is to use the skins more than the lifts this year , regain my shoulders and for springtime, ridento the top of the local trails{24km climb I believe) without puking.

So……

today I'm at 197. I'm wearing my riding shorts from 10 years ago. I have a hint of a six pack and am not blowing out nearly as bad on climbs as I expected.

all achieved by skiing every chance I could get this past winter,suffering the rollers and cutting down a shit tonne on booze.

kinda proud.

Pastor of Muppets

May 17, 2014, 8:12 a.m.

So……

today I'm at 197. I'm wearing my riding shorts from 10 years ago. I have a hint of a six pack and am not blowing out nearly as bad on climbs as I expected.

all achieved by skiing every chance I could get this past winter,suffering the rollers and cutting down a shit tonne on booze.

kinda proud.

nice.

the fitness will get better and the weight is mostly due to cutting out the booze which can be a hard thing for some people. good work!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 19, 2014, 7:26 p.m.

So the jersey is awarded. Awesome work KL! Super inspiring. Leads me to the next question, does this mean its time for a new thread? New round, new goals ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

June 17, 2014, 7:25 p.m.

Finally back in the gym after about 5 months off. My main goal is flexibility and injury prevention now that mountain bike season is in full swing. My left shoulder was starting to give me a little trouble. Now that I'm back in the gym it's staying strong and pain free.

June 23, 2014, 8:44 p.m.

My story started in January. After 6 years of relative inactivity and 3 kids I was 215 lbs (6'2") 38 yrs old and diagnosed with borderline high cholesterol.

Fast fwd to today and I am now 195 lbs achieved through a sensible diet and portion control, low saturated fat etc…. I did the Seek the Peak which forced me to get back into trail running. And I started commuting to work a day or two a week - it's a long-ish commute but I put a Bionx kit on my hardtail so it's doable.

I also started pushups to do something about my abysmal upper body strength, I could only do three at the start. Now can knock off a couple sets of 10. I just installed a hangboard in the garage and my next goal is to get back to being able to do 10+ pullups in a row.

Other than that, hopefully I'll get back into riding this summer and continue running or the Grind a coupe times a week. The big question will be what my cholesterol number will be next time I get checked.

Thanks to all those posting in this forum, there is a wealth of info in these pages!!!

June 23, 2014, 8:54 p.m.

nice work!
try varying your push-ups by raising your feet off the floor a bit. and if you want to make then even more challenging get your kid(s) to sit on your back while you do them - more benefit for you and a great way to engage your child in the idea of regular physical activity.

re cholesterol, take more note of your ratio of LDL(bad) to HDL(good) ratio than the actual total number. it should be at least 5:2, 5:3 is better, lower than that is great. plus ideally, your LDL number shoould be below 100.

ps - great article on cholesterol here:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/08/10/making-sense-of-your-cholesterol-numbers.aspx

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 23, 2014, 9:15 p.m.

Thanks for the reading!

I've been bench pressing my kids, they love that. The 7 year old is getting a little hard to do.