The wet boys poll

Sept. 21, 2006, 6:06 p.m.

Bottom line highest grip tire on the market is the Michelin Comp32 and I've spent alot of time on Nevegals, Comp16s, Comp24s, Minions etc. If you're buying tires for wet weather riding on the Shore my favorite combo is the Michi Comp32 on the front and the Michi Comp24 on the rear. However the Nevegal makes a great rear tire as well. I raced on Nevegals all year, and although I think they're great all-round tires and roll well I don't find them the best in wet conditions. I've previously used a Minion front in 2.5" and enjoyed that tire as well. A better all round front tire I think, but lacks the grip in the wet that the Comp32 has.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Sept. 21, 2006, 6:10 p.m.

I'd think that the cold would harden them. Opposite ?

Interesting thought. I wonder how much people[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s opinion of tyre grippyness or performance is influenced by the pressure they are run the tyre at?

As you comment, cold temperatures tend to harden rubber, making it less grippy. However, once underway the rubber heats up (from friction and from the rubber flexing and deforming) and it becomes grippier. When I used to race (motorcycles), most riders would drop about 5 psi to get more grip when the temperature came down and/or it was wet. The theory being that with lower pressure the tyre flexes more, heats up more and therefore gives more grip, compared to if it ran cooler (and yeah lower pressure also helps the tyre deform over a surface thereby increasing contact patch which also helps grip)

I have seen people quote tyre pressures anywhere from 20 - 65 lbs and I'm sure this probably has a significant affect on how a tyre performs or feels under various conditions and may be the cause of many disparate opinions on the same tire.

By the way I run the bi compound (foldable - Kevlar) big earls front and back and really like them, but can't honestly have to say I can compare them to anything else apart from the originals I had Hutchinson Octopus?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Sept. 21, 2006, 6:23 p.m.

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone heard/ridden these ?

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/243_tires_03_02.php

.243 's or are they outdated ?

or the Syncros BHT tires .. ?

http://www.syncros.com/tires.htm

I find .243 tires are too hard to be used as wet/ winter tires. they are just like gazzies, dont grip too well and heavy.

Sept. 21, 2006, 6:24 p.m.

What about those maxxis wet scream tires?

Sept. 21, 2006, 6:28 p.m.

Need to call more shops.

$70 seems to be the average price around here.

I'm heading back up to Whistler this wknd.

Bluegroove's on sale for 40% off at Fanatyko .. a pair comes out to $90 with tax.

But I've read/searched that the bluegroove's are not as good as the nevegal's in wet. Is this true ?

why not pickup nevegals from over time then…. for 20 more i think.. 55/one.
I think they have few tires on sale too…

Sept. 21, 2006, 7:47 p.m.

I've been running the Syncros BHT's front and rear (2.7/2.5) since December and have no complaints.

Sept. 21, 2006, 7:55 p.m.

Well if anyone wants a halfworn comp32 for 20 bux pm me :P

Will trade Hope 4 piston 8 inch Manitou adapter for marz adaptor.

Sept. 21, 2006, 7:59 p.m.

im happily runnign two comp 32s with no complaints at all. well that is unless you ride on really hardpack dirt alot. then maybe not the greatest tire. other then that, they are an amazing mud tire. even though they are said to be floaty ive never noticed this, ive found them to be solid on everything from wet roots to rockgardens to deep sand. im just lovin them. but if yout on a budget at all then i duggest somthing like the nevegal the comp 32s are about 100$ each if you get them on sale

Sept. 21, 2006, 9:20 p.m.

I used to be on a pair of wire bead, 2.5 Nevagals. Good tire, lasted long and gripped well in all conditions. Rolled a lot faster than most other tires of this caliber as well.

I now am on the kevlar/folding bead 2.5 Nevagals front and rear. Works just like the wire bead so far. Then again, I am probably 50-80 pounds lighter than you.

Sober

Sept. 21, 2006, 9:22 p.m.

I may be able to get a deal on the following set only :

Front . Michelin 16's 2.2
Rear . Michelin 24's 2.5

Would that be an ideal combo for the shore this winter ? Or would the 2.2 in the front be 'too' skinny ?

I'm 150lbs, somewhat decent rider and riding a 50lbs '05 A-line.

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Sept. 21, 2006, 9:22 p.m.

I used to be on a pair of wire bead, 2.5 Nevagals. Good tire, lasted long and gripped well in all conditions. Rolled a lot faster than most other tires of this caliber as well.

I now am on the kevlar/folding bead 2.5 Nevagals front and rear. Works just like the wire bead so far. Then again, I am probably 50-80 pounds lighter than you.

yeah, the neve rolls fast for a soft tire. you really notice it if you ever have to ride pedal on the pavement.

and yeah only light weight people can get away with the kevlar/folding nevegal. most people over like 170lbs flat those daily on the shore …

Sept. 21, 2006, 9:23 p.m.

I may be able to get a deal on the following set only :
Would that be an ideal combo for the shore this winter ? Or would the 2.2 in the front be 'too' skinny ?

I'm 150lbs, somewhat decent rider and riding a 50lbs '05 A-line.

2.2 is fine. plus a 2.2 michi will be almost as big as a 2.5 maxis

Sept. 21, 2006, 9:34 p.m.

So the question is here.

It will cost me the same roughly to get a michi 16/32 or a set of nevegal's.

The nevegal's should run me into or through next summer, right ? Or not ?

What about the michi 16's ?

I know you're going to ask me how much I ride. To be honest, I'm a shore virgin and will be most likely heading up at least once a week or twice if I can find people to go ride with (or just solo).

I know have the time and a decent bike to ride through the winter. And no injuries :)

… good.. bad.. I'm the guy with the gun.

Sept. 21, 2006, 10:09 p.m.

If you want the best mud/soft conditions tire period, you get the Comp 16. Its expensive, rolls as fast as a flat tire, and lasts as long as butter in the sun. But if you are going on simple performance, then that's your one and only choice.

If you test these tires back to back under the same conditions, you'll quickly see what's good and what's not, what handles corners better, and which one has better straight line braking.

Like I said the Comp 32 is probably the best rocky, hard conditions tire there is, but to say that its good in mud is the complete opposite of that tire's characteristics. Wide tires with big flat knobs float Timmy, com'on man, that's obvious! ;) Go test that against a Comp 16 in the mud on the same track and get back to me.

Nevs aren't that bad, but I've said this before, its a better rear tire than a front. If you are on a budget, you'll be happy with them.

Sept. 21, 2006, 10:59 p.m.

The only time I've prefered the Comp16 over the Comp32 is in seriously deep mud where the Comp32 has too much flotation and can't get down deep enough for grip. But we don't get a lot of mud on the Shore so I find as a wet weather tire the Comp32 is undoubtedly the grippiest tire I have used. Having said that though the Comp16, the Nevegal and the Minion ST are also great tires!

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada: