Swapping out parts from my 2014 Scott Voltage FR20 to a new Enduro frame

May 29, 2018, 11:01 p.m.

<div>I bought my scott voltage brand new maybe  a few years ago (I was lucky to find one brand new even though it was an older model).  I like the bike, but it just feels really heavy and bulky for most local trails and I kind of want something a bit lighter and easier to ride in general.  I've also kept the bike in pristine condition and haven't really ridden it hard.  The parts are also really nice as well.  With that said, I thought about the possibility of swapping out all the parts to a new enduro bike that can "do it all" to some extent including some Whistler riding. 
</div>

<div>Does anyone know if this is possible, and how much it would cost as well as any recommendations for frame choices?
</div>

May 29, 2018, 11:13 p.m.

I’m no gear junkie but I’ll guess that it mostly comes down to boost/not etc. Maybe make a list of your parts and the standards they are and that could help guide you. I figure things like brakes, deraileurs, bar, fork, etc should be fine but wheels, crankset and seat post are where you might get caught. Wheels will probably be the biggest concern and dictate whether a frame only upgrade will work or a whole new bike and selling the old one is order.

Last edited by: syncro on May 29, 2018, 11:14 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 30, 2018, 5:20 a.m.

My buddy has a 2014 Giant Reign and he has decided rather than swap parts over just buy new. I just built a 2017 frame and I had to change the rear hub , crank sprocket , and I think the headset . Wheel size will play into it as well if you are still running a 26" wheel combo.

May 30, 2018, 8:50 a.m.

If you have to swap droppers and wheels it's probably not worth it. At that point the complete bike pricing for say, a YT, becomes very attractive - get all the new standards and fresh everything.

May 31, 2018, 10:29 a.m.

Without knowing detailed specs of what you want to swap to , the Voltage is a 26" non-boost so you'll need to find a replacement frame with those specs or else wheelset, fork at a minimum will need to be changed. Other things include headset, cranks/bottom bracket could mean new drive train. Shock spacing could be different as well. So yeah, just buy a YT Capra or Commencal Meta AM and sell the Scott.

June 4, 2018, 12:18 p.m.

Buy new complete, swap over everything from old bike that fits? 

Old bike may be easier to unload with shiny new parts installed \(grips, bars, stem, saddle, etc\) too.

I vote buying from LBS or even used over mail order.