Shimano Air Shifting

July 24, 2003, 6:33 p.m.

Originally posted by FamilyJewels
I love you. :heart:

Holy shit. They're coming out of the woodwork.

This space intentionally left blank.

July 24, 2003, 6:43 p.m.

Originally posted by Gandalf
Holy shit. They're coming out of the woodwork.

I gets no love.

July 24, 2003, 6:46 p.m.

Originally posted by UFO
**the spacing between each cog is wider than the spacing of each cassette on an 8 or 9 spd cassette. you cant take each cog apart separately and stick spacers in between to get the slightly wider cog spacing

as for adjustability, i guess you can adjust the regulator to release slightly less air so that it would shift with an 8 or 9 spd cassette spacing. but im not sure about that, and i dont care enough about the system to try :) **

yea, why is it 7-speed only? Doesnt exactly make much sense, I would get it if it was 9-speed, and single sided shifter. Just use your shock pump (if you have one/carry one with you) to pump it up if you have to. Or a high-pressure hand pump. Wrenchforce has a pump that can go up to 145 for road bikes. Just use that I suppose. It would be worth 300 bucks if I would never miss a shift, and it was instantenous. I would be more apt to spend 300 bucks if it was hydraulic.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 24, 2003, 8:04 p.m.

haven't read the thread but that system you speak of was called hydra-shift… people called it the best shifting in the world (better than airlines)… but it was $200US per derraileur, and the patent for it doesn't expire till 2015, so don't expect to see anything until then, BTW hydrashift went outta business…

Hey-Hey-Hey it's BACK!

July 24, 2003, 8:15 p.m.

damnit. I would gladly pay 200 bucks for the rear end if it worked. I could probally get some kind of pro-deal, and 100 bucks is not out of the question. I would kill to have those.

Thanks for the info VooDoo. Airline's seem to be to easily broken or something. I'd take a Hydro shifter anyday. What kind of fluid did it use? Dot 4? Make the bleeding of the derailuer cables nice and easy, and you could do it the same as your brakes. All one swoop.

July 24, 2003, 9:25 p.m.

Originally posted by BAC5.2
**damnit. I would gladly pay 200 bucks for the rear end if it worked. I could probally get some kind of pro-deal, and 100 bucks is not out of the question. I would kill to have those.

Thanks for the info VooDoo. Airline's seem to be to easily broken or something. I'd take a Hydro shifter anyday. What kind of fluid did it use? Dot 4? Make the bleeding of the derailuer cables nice and easy, and you could do it the same as your brakes. All one swoop. **

No , no.It wasn't a hydro shifter, you just replaced your regualr cables with hydraulic ones, i dont know how, but they worked with your regualr shifters and derraieur, but making them hydraulic.. i'll try to fin dsome sh!t on them…..

Hey-Hey-Hey it's BACK!

July 24, 2003, 9:51 p.m.

I found some stuff and made a thread. I know what you mean. Short cable lengths just to actuate.

July 24, 2003, 11:26 p.m.

Originally posted by BAC5.2
yea, why is it 7-speed only? Doesnt exactly make much sense, I would get it if it was 9-speed, and single sided shifter. Just use your shock pump (if you have one/carry one with you) to pump it up if you have to. Or a high-pressure hand pump. Wrenchforce has a pump that can go up to 145 for road bikes. Just use that I suppose. It would be worth 300 bucks if I would never miss a shift, and it was instantenous. I would be more apt to spend 300 bucks if it was hydraulic.

a 7 spd cassette spaced out on a 9spd hub allows more spacing in btwn. allows for more crisp shifting, and thicker stronger chains for more strength. sounds like what every free rider wants! wasnt fox or pip trying to convince sram to do a 7 spd drivetrain for us folks?

dual sided shifter works, bc no downhill bike runs a front der. so why not have one thumb each hand do the work, that way your pointer finger can stay on the brake or on the bar. the airlines can be pumped up w/ a floor pump as well. handpump, good luck. i have a fun enough time getting my tire up so 15psi w/ a handpump

July 24, 2003, 11:31 p.m.

lol, I use a front derailuer though, so it would suck for me :(

July 25, 2003, 7:01 a.m.

i am going to get it, i can use paintball cables, i can probably also find a rear cassete on ebay. I would find it hard to believe that shimano does not sell any of these parts.

BIGHIT FOR SALE… CHEAP
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item;=3669305997&category;=58081&sspagename;=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd;=1

July 25, 2003, 8:33 a.m.

Handpump was worst case scenario.

July 25, 2003, 6:17 p.m.

Originally posted by bbike
I would find it hard to believe that shimano does not sell any of these parts.

im sure the parts are listed under some catalog. but whether they are available or not is a different story. you won't be able to find the proper 7 spd cassette on ebay, im 98% sure. if you can, stock up if you do intend on running that system. imo, its more trouble than its worth

July 25, 2003, 9:36 p.m.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=28

hydrolic shifting. home made

July 25, 2003, 9:37 p.m.

Yea, the fact that you need a special rear cassette and can only run one ring, doesn't exactly float my boat. I'll take the Hydra-shift over the Airline anyday.

July 25, 2003, 9:37 p.m.

Runge - I posted that link in another thread…