Profiles for MTB

July 23, 2003, 9:52 a.m.

I have a set of profile race cranks on my BMX bike.

I was thinking about it, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap them onto my mountain bike. Strong, crank slidable, and no worries.

I know I need a spider adapter to run a triple ring. That's no problem (only 18 bucks). But what do I have to get to get them to run in my frame? A Euro BB I suppose, but where can I get one short enough to fit?

The shortest I can find is 145mm wide, I need a 113.

Its either swap these on, or pro-deal a pair of Race Face North Shore DH's (in which case, what BB should I get?)

I have given up on the Saint's, I want something proven to be bad ass.

Thanks guys!

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 23, 2003, 9:57 a.m.

u need new bottom bracket cups, and a bunch of spacers (sleeves) to make sure the width of the bb fits well
and make sure the axle is long enough

dmr trailstar lt complete street bicycle - sold

July 23, 2003, 10 a.m.

I thought you were all worried about weight.

BANSHEE BIKES * AVALANCHE * BROOKLYN

July 23, 2003, 10:04 a.m.

North Shores (RF) have been tested and proven to be stronger than Profiles, at a fraction of the wieght. I'd save yourself the headache of making your BMX cranks fit, and look into a set of North Shores, keeping your BMX intact, and your MTB at a reasonable weight without sacrificing strength. :)

July 23, 2003, 10:08 a.m.

That was my concern was that the RF cranks wouldn't be as strong as profile's. For 790 grams, i'll take the North Shore's over the Truvativ Holzfellers methinks.

Nick - I am semi concerned with weight. Durability first, then weight. Cut it where I can, without cutting strength. Cranks are something I don't want to have to have break on me. And since the weight is centralized, it wouldn't matter as much as something on the back end or the front end. All about saving unsprung weight.

July 23, 2003, 10:15 a.m.

i am not happy with mine, i dont suggest u do it. if u want cro mos get azonics

i will explain when i get back from drivers ed unless i forget:( ;)

July 23, 2003, 10:23 a.m.

I just bought Race Face North Shores with the Evil DRS for my new Scream. I hope it works out. I got the RaceFace Evolve DH bb.

July 23, 2003, 10:39 a.m.

That was the setup I was thinking of running. I have the time to wait, so I want to know what you think of yours.

July 23, 2003, 12:38 p.m.

Originally posted by Mulletron
North Shores (RF) have been tested and proven to be stronger than Profiles, at a fraction of the wieght. I'd save yourself the headache of making your BMX cranks fit, and look into a set of North Shores, keeping your BMX intact, and your MTB at a reasonable weight without sacrificing strength. :)

Really? I wouldn't doubt that for strength to weight ratio that RF North Shores are stronger than Profiles. But it's hard to believe that RF NS is stronger than Profile. The axles for Profile cranks are mega beef and their crank arms are really solid too.

What kind of testing was this?

July 23, 2003, 12:57 p.m.

The testing was on the cranks arms themselves I think. Not to do with spindle strength.

July 23, 2003, 2:04 p.m.

the NS DH cransk are hella tuff…

i suggest u get a set adn avoid the weight penatly of Profiles…

unless you are a total crank killer… but i dont think u are BAC….

July 23, 2003, 6:02 p.m.

lol, you got me IFO. I am far from a Crank Killer. Even if I was a total hack, I still don't weigh enough.

July 23, 2003, 6:14 p.m.

The only problems I've had with RF stuff is the bearings - especially the bearings in their BBs. Which is the only reason I run Profiles.

Truth be told, I'd switch back to ISIS in a heartbeat, if I didn't have to worry about blowing out bearings all the time. Reliability on crank arms and BB spindles is overrated as far as I am concerned, I've seen a lot of parts break, but I've never witnessed an ISIS BB spindle or a crank arm blow out. Not to say that it never happens, but I think it's rare enough that it doesn't warrant serious consideration.

PS: SNM, (S[HTML_REMOVED]M?) a BMX parts co, makes BB cups and bearings that will adapt your BMX setup for MTB use. You can get them locally at Ride On, they are reputedly tougher than the originals from Profile.

July 23, 2003, 6:16 p.m.

Originally posted by BAC5.2
lol, you got me IFO. I am far from a Crank Killer. Even if I was a total hack, I still don't weigh enough.

you don't have to be a hack or weigh a lot to kill parts such as cranks.. if you ride hard mistakes and mis judgement come into play, nobody is perfect.

i don't weigh a lot, nor am i a hack and i still go through parts like crazy.

tommrorow. mom took the van/

July 23, 2003, 6:35 p.m.

RF NS DH have lifetime warrenty, you don't kill cranks, you work in a shop (more direct connection with RF/distributor in case something goes wrong) and you are concerned about weight.

Go for the RaceFace cranks, not sure about BB though.