New Fork Questions

July 11, 2003, 12:36 p.m.

A couple quick questions regarding a new fork

I currently have a 2001 Z.5 5" (regular axle). New fork is 2003/2000 Junior T2 5" (QR20).

1) Will I need a new fork adaptor? Brakes(Rotor size) are staying the same, but does the QR20 mean I'll need a new adaptor?

I figure that I would be able to remove and install the forks on my own, but I have a few concerns.

1) Do I need a specific tool to install the star-nut or will a hammer and screwdriver work?

2) How about a " crown race setter" will I need that specific tool to press the crown race on to the fork crown?

Also, could anybody give me an estimate on what a shop would charge to remove an old fork and install the new one fully set up (brakes on, wheel on, cable zip-tied etc…. ready to roll). I want to get an idea before I contact them myself!

Cheers!

July 11, 2003, 1:10 p.m.

haha!

Yea, you'll need your wheel rebuilt (~30 bucks + parts), then to drop the fork and install another one would be ~40 or so for a DC. Starnut will be installed for free most likely. Installing the new brake (you WILL need a new adapter) and setting it up will be around 15$ for a hydro. Ziptying the cable is going to be free. Installation of the wheel will be free (what kind of shop would charge for THAT?)

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 11, 2003, 3:14 p.m.

2000 Junior's use a different adapter, you should get this when you get the fork (it should be included). A new hub is required. DC's are a bit fickle to install, I had a friend who works at the LBS to fix up mine. Good choice on the fork.

2001 Brodie Thumper Complete for Sale

BEST OFFER TAKES IT. BUYER SPLITS SHIPPING COSTS

July 11, 2003, 3:28 p.m.

DC's arent that difficult to install, just annoying because you gotta bolt down like 8 things.

I got paid to install mine at work ;). I do all my own maintenance and call them clinic's. Other employees watch me do it as we all talk about random stuff. It's pretty sweet :)

July 11, 2003, 4:48 p.m.

Okay, thanks for the help

I still haven't decided whether to remove/install the forks on my own or let the "pros" do it? I guess if I did it myself I would have to buy some grease and locktite for the bolts. I have a computer program with pretty detailed steps, so I think it should be fine.

From what I can tell it's just a matter of sliding rings (in the CORRECT order) onto the steerer. Besides the star-nut and the crown race, I don't think I need any specialized tools. All I have is allen keys, hammers etc.

July 11, 2003, 5:39 p.m.

A piece of scrap steel pipe with a rubber washer or two taped to the end of it will do as a crown race tool. You can hammer in a star nut with your top cap bolt and that should make it easy to center.

QR20 will probably just require that you space the caliper with some $0.05 washers. That's what I had to do with my 6" avid and it worked fine.

July 11, 2003, 9:50 p.m.

Stupid question:

How do I remove the axle? Should it slide DOWN or ACROSS?:o It won't budge

July 11, 2003, 11:31 p.m.

for what? QR20? Just like a standard QR axle.

Be more specific I guess.

July 11, 2003, 11:52 p.m.

Originally posted by /\/S/\/\B RIDER [B
1) Will I need a new fork adaptor? Brakes(Rotor size) are staying the same, but does the QR20 mean I'll need a new adaptor?

I figure that I would be able to remove and install the forks on my own, but I have a few concerns.

1) Do I need a specific tool to install the star-nut or will a hammer and screwdriver work?

2) How about a " crown race setter" will I need that specific tool to press the crown race on to the fork crown?

Also, could anybody give me an estimate on what a shop would charge to remove an old fork and install the new one fully set up (brakes on, wheel on, cable zip-tied etc…. ready to roll). I want to get an idea before I contact them myself!

Cheers!

You can use the same adapter. You will need to space it a few millimetres, so get some small washers.

Screw a bolt into the star nut, center the star nut over the top of the steer tube, and tap on the bolt. Tap lightly. If the star nut isn't going in exactly straighten it out by tapping on the side of the bolt. You'll understand when you do it. If you're buying the fork from a shop, ask them to put the star nut in for you (but make sure you've cut the steer tube to the correct length, if you're going to cut it).

Slide the crown race down the steer tube until it's just about the crown, then tap it down with a hammer and flat screwdriver (flat works). Just make sure you're not hammering on the part of the race that bearings roll on (if it's not sealed bearings). You tap down the part of the race that's right against the steer tube as it is usually flat there and not really used. If done right, you shouldn't make any impressions on the race.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells