Interesting Cove

Feb. 20, 2008, 12:54 p.m.

I'm gonna have to find the picture of the original shocker proto, I recall it being quite like a knolly…
Edit: Dammit, I cant find it. Does anybody else have it? Brown bike, I think with green lettering, way back in 2004 or 2005, I can't remember. I remember seeing it in cove and then somebody sent me a pic a few days later, but I cant find said pic :(
Edit again: Here is a thread about said frame, but the pictures don't work for me. http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=47767[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=cove
Seems its not the first time cove has "borrowed" a suspension design for a proto.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Feb. 20, 2008, 1:56 p.m.

Shocker Proto 1

Feb. 20, 2008, 2:08 p.m.

Shocker Proto 1

Before that. That's just a close up from coves brand new 2006 website.

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Feb. 20, 2008, 2:10 p.m.

Not the blue bike posted on the second page of this thread is it?

Feb. 20, 2008, 2:12 p.m.

Not the blue bike posted on the second page of this thread is it?

smacks forehead that's the one….

Feb. 20, 2008, 5:07 p.m.

Shocker Proto 1

This just furthers my statement about you working for Cove. You ether work for them or you are one of those crazy Cove stockers that Chas has a restraining order against.

Just thought you might need this to fully get it.
Ignorance; is the condition of being uninformed or uneducated, lacking knowledge or information.

With this kind of attitude you must be a Cove employee. You are so high on your self.:deadhorse:

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Feb. 21, 2008, 9:15 p.m.

everyone should calm down and ride a norco, they admit to using another design patent, they even put a sticker on their frames to tell us so, i love how honest they are…….

Shed head!

Feb. 22, 2008, 1:51 p.m.

I guess the weather must be pretty shitty over in Vancouver…

Seriously, after having read this (and numerous other topics which Tobius was involved in) it seems like all that some members care about is Tobius' affiliation with Cove. Is that really all that matters? Who you work for? Crap, I guess I shouldn't post on here because I'm still a high school student and my opinion isn't valid anyways, eh?

I'm not trying defend Tobius, although I don't see what's wrong with what he said and the tone he said it. Other people on here said that they're heard some rumors through the gravepine that Cove might have infringed on the DW Link design. No one complains about the fact that the person heard it through the gravepine. Instead some people go like "yeah, it would be sooo unlinke Cove…". Then someone comes along who tries to clarify something that may or may not have been gossip and all the sudden everyone starts bitching about his post because it is not entirely clear who he works for.

I totally support valid discussions but to me it really seems like some people are complaining just for the sake of complaining - that's fucking annoying.

Feb. 22, 2008, 1:57 p.m.

I guess the weather must be pretty shitty over in Vancouver…

Seriously, after having read this (and numerous other topics which Tobius was involved in) it seems like all that some members care about is Tobius' affiliation with Cove. Is that really all that matters? Who you work for? Crap, I guess I shouldn't post on here because I'm still a high school student and my opinion isn't valid anyways, eh?

I'm not trying defend Tobius, although I don't see what's wrong with what he said and the tone he said it. Other people on here said that they're heard some rumors through the gravepine that Cove might have infringed on the DW Link design. No one complains about the fact that the person heard it through the gravepine. Instead some people go like "yeah, it would be sooo unlinke Cove…". Then someone comes along who tries to clarify something that may or may not have been gossip and all the sudden everyone starts bitching about his post because it is not entirely clear who he works for.

I totally support valid discussions but to me it really seems like some people are complaining just for the sake of complaining - that's fucking annoying.

You're in high school? But you spell so well, and your grammar is good. What's your secret?

:)
And yeah, the weather is probably to blame, too much snow and people are getting a little grumpy without their 'fix'.

Feb. 22, 2008, 2:35 p.m.

Instead some people go like "yeah, it would be sooo unlinke Cove…".

The nerve of "some people" :)

Feb. 22, 2008, 3:22 p.m.

Someone on Mtbr said he talked to the guys in the Cove shop and they said the designer was no longer with Cove and that there won't be any new bikes this year. Any comfirmation? I'm pretty set on a Gspot.(haha)

I ran into BK in the bar about 6 weeks ago, he has left Cove Bikes as their engineer, he is working with NSB (North Shore Billet) now.

Feb. 24, 2008, 9:49 p.m.

I heard that too, that the boys at NSB bought burger king so they can always have lunch under control.

www.northshorebillet.com

Feb. 24, 2008, 10:51 p.m.

Holy Shit.

To stick up for Tobius, I believe his point is:

1) Yes, Cove built a bike that looks like a Knolly.
2) Cove did not in any way attempt to sell that design.
3) Cove is not guilty of patent infringement as they are not profiting off somebody else's design.

I'm not a patent lawyer. I'm not sure if it's legal to to copy somebodies prototype for "personal use", but that seems to be his argument. Everything else is irrelevant. And since nobody seems to know the story behind that bike (other than it may have been built by Yess on a laugh) then who cares? We don't know, we shouldn't speculate.

Anyhow, there is so very little that is "new" in mountain bike suspension, there aren't too many people that can be accused of originality. I mean the DW-Link doesn't infringe on the VPP, but it's pretty much the same idea. Counter-rotating links be damned. And Maestro isn't too far removed from the DW-Link. And a whole bunch of other people seem to have found a way to make a bike with a short chainstay link in it that gives you a bit of chainstay growth in the initial stages of travel. Which is pretty much what the Horst Link does anyhow. And none of these bikes were "invented" by the people that sell them…

Plot the wheel paths of all these bikes and they all look pretty damn similar.

Feb. 24, 2008, 11:16 p.m.

everyone should calm down and ride a norco, they admit to using another design patent, they even put a sticker on their frames to tell us so, i love how honest they are…….

waay too easy

Feb. 25, 2008, 4:13 p.m.

Yeah, the board gets all pissy this time of year…just about every year….once you know it's coming best to not make any statements that you can not or do not want to back up…because you will get torn apart.

I wouldn't buy a cove anyway….if you can't even bother to keep a website up to date (very easy) than it shows lack of respect and caring to your customers IMO…thats my view…disagree with it if you want but you will not change my mind.

Really if Noel minded I am sure he would go down and have a word with Chaz…who knows, he may have I dunno, but people on both sides of this argument need to go for a ride….it will help.