Help! How to install my new Super T?

Aug. 4, 2003, 10:40 a.m.

Need some help from someone with a whole lot of patience…
I need some instructions on how to install my new Super T on my Bullit. I didn't get any paperwork from the shop I bought it at, and the website tech manual doesn't show anything about it either - only shows stuff about set-up of preload and rebound…
So - how do I go about installing it?
So far I have the lower crown race on the fork, the headset on, with the fork sitting in the headtube.
How far can the upper stantions project above the upper crown - min/max distance? What's ideal?
How do I determine how much to cut off my steer tube?
How do I set a star-nut without a press? Hammer time?
I have a 2003 Bullit with an oversized Diablous stem, if this helps. :???:

Aug. 4, 2003, noon

coughcoughtake it to a shopcough***;)

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

Aug. 4, 2003, 2:12 p.m.

yup

Aug. 4, 2003, 3:09 p.m.

If I take it to a shop I won't get it back for 2.5 weeks. How far can the upper stantions project above the upper crown - min/max distance? What's ideal?
:rolleyes:

Aug. 4, 2003, 3:40 p.m.

Half the battle is over already.

Before you do anything else, make sure your lower crown is below the machining step on the stanction tubes.

cutting your steerer is easy. If you want to sell the fork, keep the steerer 8 inches+ in length, 8.5" is ideal in my opinion (use spacers to make up for the excess). A pipe cutter makes super quick work of cutting steer tubes, and you can do handle bars and seat posts with it too, so I suggest you go spend the $10 or whatever and pick one up.

What you're going to do is stack all your spacers, headset bits, top crown, and stem on the steerer the way they would normally go on, mark where the top of the stem sits, and cut about 3mm below that to allow for headset preload.

To put the starnut in, what we did with my friends fork was tap it in with an upside down screwdriver as straight as we could, then put the topcap bolt in and hammered it around until it was centered in the steerer.

Aug. 4, 2003, 3:42 p.m.

why wll u r shop take so long to install it..if you arnt sure i dont think you should be installing something as significant as your fork…and if taht slides out or fails on you you get no warranty cause YOU installed it or at least an uncertified mechanic installed it as they would say.

Andrew Cho

GT Bikes
http://www.gtbicycles.com

Aug. 4, 2003, 4:21 p.m.

I try to hook people up with labor if they are cool about it.

Talk to the shop and see if they can do anything for you. If you lived in MD, I'd do it for you in the 10 minutes it takes to set it all up.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

Aug. 4, 2003, 7:28 p.m.

where are ya? Seattle? If so, Ill do it for ya.

Like they said, you don't want to fuck around with something this major. A fork is expensive, a frame is expensive. Both can be damaged beyond repair if installation isn't done correctly.

SOR

Aug. 4, 2003, 9:19 p.m.

ya ouchie that sux, 2 weeks for a 10 min job, thats bad

well better than i willl have soon, REI and Bicycles West will be leavin my town, sigh

KERR

When you use a feather - its erotic
but when you use the whole chicken - its kinkey