Bottom Bracket Blues

July 26, 2003, 8:43 a.m.

Whenever I start to pedal hard and torque my crank, I hear a loud "crick-crick-crick" sound. How do I know if it is my pedal or my bottom bracket. I think it is my bottom bracket, but my dad says it is the pedal. And if I take it into a shop, they won't be able to hear the sound because you have to be pedaling a high gear or climbing a hill or riding out of the saddle.

Has anybody ever had this problem before? How do I diagnose the problem and how do I fix it?

Derek

:canada: :woot:

July 26, 2003, 8:46 a.m.

what bb/crank/pedal are you running?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower "The Chance for Peace" 1953

July 26, 2003, 8:54 a.m.

I have a FSA Isis splined connected to Race Face Prodigy DH cranks and wellgo platform pedals

Derek

July 26, 2003, 8:58 a.m.

check if your bb is tight and make sure your cranks are on ALL the way, get an 8mm wrench and keep tightening until it hits the end.
also take the cranks off and grease the bb spindle. i had that problem twice - first time it was a loose bb cup, second a cracked crank, so check for that too.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

July 26, 2003, 8:59 a.m.

oh ya, and if you take it to the shop, just tell em to ride around the block and see for themselves.

July 26, 2003, 9:03 a.m.

How do I take my cranks off? Do I need to replace my bottom bracket?

Derek

July 26, 2003, 9:06 a.m.

I have FSA 3peice BMX cranks, i get around 1 crack per pedal 360 rotation, its bugging me. Thanks for hte tips, i need to pull it apart anyway to space some stuff out, so I will try greading and tightening lots of stuff.

July 26, 2003, 9:07 a.m.

Originally posted by Derek
How do I take my cranks off? Do I need to replace my bottom bracket?

"Crank Puller" tool, it threads into the area by the bb on the crank, and then you keep turning it, it pushes a thing on the splined axel, pulling the crank off.:)

July 26, 2003, 9:08 a.m.

you need a crankpuller for that. if you dont have one, it will be cheaper to take the bike to your lbs. and i dont think you need a new bb, if the shell has come loose, it can easily be tightened with a bb tool. i have a feeling its your crankbolts though.

July 26, 2003, 9:16 a.m.

where are the crankbolts located? Are they the big "hex" bolts where the crank connects to the BB?

Derek

July 26, 2003, 9:19 a.m.

where are the crankbolts located? Are they the big "hex" bolts where the crank connects to the BB?

yes, those are the ones. an 8mm hex key alone wont do it though, you need a 8mm boxend-wrench for leverage.

July 26, 2003, 9:22 a.m.

So in otherwords, I have to go out and buy some tools before i can work on my bike? That's alright though. My parents never help me with parts, but we usually go halfers with tools.

Thanks for the help

Derek

July 26, 2003, 9:26 a.m.

**So in otherwords, I have to go out and buy some tools before i can work on my bike? That's alright though. My parents never help me with parts, but we usually go halfers with tools.

Thanks for the help **

unfortunately theres a few specialty tools involved. if your going to buy some, go to mec.ca. you wont find cheaper tools in any shop.

July 26, 2003, 9:59 a.m.

you dont need a crank puller for a splined bottom bracket, do u?

In my experience you only need those for tapered cranks, 3 - peice splined wouldnt really get stuck on the bb spindle.

July 26, 2003, 11:49 a.m.

Yes, you need a crank puller for all cranks, normally. Splined, tapered, 3-piece.

Leifless, what are you talking about with the specialty tools and box-end wrench? Derek, your bolts, are they allen-key heads, or hex heads? A regular 8mm Allen Key will do the trick. Everyone tightens their crank bolts too much anyways.

Leifless, for extra leverage you could just use a pipe (handlebar, seat post, etc) on the end of the allen key.

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.