Bent Chain Ring Replacement.

July 30, 2010, 2:09 p.m.

Take it easy now fellas.

Dude said my rear cassette has very little wear on it and that it is less critical to change the whole set up when replacing the front chain rings compared to the rear cassette or chain. Wether this is true or not I suppose I will find out on the weekend. For moneys sake I hope dude is right cause I don't want to blow $130 if I don't have to and I don't want a super heavy steel cassette for cheap.

July 30, 2010, 2:50 p.m.

Take it easy now fellas.

Dude said my rear cassette has very little wear on it and that it is less critical to change the whole set up when replacing the front chain rings compared to the rear cassette or chain. Wether this is true or not I suppose I will find out on the weekend. For moneys sake I hope dude is right cause I don't want to blow $130 if I don't have to and I don't want a super heavy steel cassette for cheap.

Dude is incorrect. the chain will wear a bit first, play between the links stretching the overall length gradually. after a certain amount of wear (~.75% overall stretch iirc) the chain will start to wear out the teeth on the rear cassette - that will be the next piece to go, because there are generally fewer teeth than on the front chainrings and generally they are made of softer metal (though of course this will depend on what metal they are made of - short hand, the quality of the parts), which will be the last to go. if you want to check out which pieces are worn and what "needs" to be replaced (rather than what Dude says) get a ruler or chain checker and determine how worn your chain is (or get someone at a shop - preferably not Dude - to do so). if there's more than .75% wear, replace the chain - they're cheap and better to wear out one than start wearing your new front chainrings prematurely. then, check the wear lines on your cassette teeth: clean it off, and check the area between the teeth on all of the rings - there should be a darker/rougher patch that may be intact, or may be starting to wear/smooth out from the front of the teeth towards the back. ime as long as the wear indicator isn't worn past the halfway mark, you should be fine to integrate it with a new drivetrain.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 30, 2010, 3:09 p.m.

Dude was the mechanic.

July 30, 2010, 10:34 p.m.

Dude was the mechanic.

Dude is an idiot

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 30, 2010, 10:55 p.m.

Well GOD DAMN!

I may be the biggest idiot because it seems the crank shaft is over an inch wider than my old crank so it doesn't even come close to fitting properly. The tech specs on my frame say I have a 68mm BB but if you measure it it is 73mm and the crank shaft is crazy long. I can't figure out what is going on. The specs on the crank say it is supposed to fit both those sizes.

So the dumbest thing of all is I had to re-install the old cranks to ride tomorrow. Should be interesting.

July 30, 2010, 11:07 p.m.

could be that you bought an xtra wide crank. could be that you just need to throw on moar spacrssss

July 30, 2010, 11:12 p.m.

The crank/bb fits a 68mm or 73mm shell. If your shell is 73mm, don't use a spacer and mount it up.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 31, 2010, 2:11 p.m.

Fucking dude sold me the large crank set. There was a new dude on today and he swapped it for the correct size.

Riding on the old gear went well even though my middle chain ring snapped in half. I rode CBC and Boogie Man on my granny gear with two teeth completely sheared off.

July 31, 2010, 5:02 p.m.

Dude was the mechanic.

Dude is an idiot

Fucking dude sold me the large crank set.

:fruit:

Aug. 1, 2010, 8:22 p.m.

The good news…

The bad news…

I swear this bike costs more to maintain than my car.

The second pic is of my Dirty rims. Less than a year old and cracked right through as far as I can tell.

Aug. 1, 2010, 8:31 p.m.

The good news…

The bad news…

I swear this bike costs more to maintain than my car.

The second pic is of my Dirty rims. Less than a year old and cracked right through as far as I can tell.

I thought I was a hack. :P

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

Aug. 1, 2010, 8:43 p.m.

I thought I was a hack. :P

haha. Touche

Aug. 1, 2010, 11:48 p.m.

The bad news…

ouch

i guess be glad it's pieces of the bike breaking, not you