Banshee Scratch

Sept. 2, 2003, 9:49 p.m.

wow,

i just got home from eurobike and there's more misinformation about my new bike than if the papratzzi got a hold of it.

it's 6am german time so if i don't make any sense, i'll try to clear things up when i'm clear of my jet lag.

the parts spec on this bike is all of the parts that i could cobble together and some that generous suppliers helped me with when i was in europe. (i couldn't get a bmx bb from anyone so i had to use reducers) the stupid spacer stack is only because i didn't have a hack saw and the polish guys in the booth next to me lent me some spacers. when i left for europe, i wasn't sure if the frame was gonna arrive at all. there's tons of detail changes to be made, it's only the 2nd generation prototype.

the geometry of the prototype isn't built exact because prototypes are built without a jig. the head angle, in particular, is a little steep. (or any combination in between)

easton has nothing to do with the tubes, they only do aluminum. we won't have the new cromo stickers ready till the production bikes come out so i just used a sticker from a scream cuz it's gonna look pretty much the same.

the tubes have a rectangular to round profile. they're made from custom 4135 cromoly steel that we sourced from this steel mill that i know, in japan. the tensile strength is close to 200ksi with 15% elongation. we sent the steel from japan to taiwan to have it drawn into tubes because our tube drawing factory has the most advanced machinery and tooling in the industry.

ok, the scratch is primarily a dj and urban bike that fills the gap between bmx and our morphine h/t.
by using my morphing frame design formula, i've made it so it can run 24x24, 24x26 or 26x26 wheels and the frame geometry changes for different uses.

with dual 24 and our new rigid fork, its perfect for dj and street/urban. big guys can run dual 26 for the same thing. with dual 26 wheels, you can 4 cross with it, too.

our rigid 20mm cromo fork is the same length as a 5" s/c fork under sag, so you can use a 5" fork if you like that kind of setup for urban or dj.

with a 7" fork and a 24x26 wheelset, the head angle is 66 deg. for trail riding.

with a 7" fork and dual 26 wheels, its gonna be a sweet dh h/t.

2 sets of wheels and 2 forks gives you 5 bikes.

this bike was designed for kids, to get them through the progression from bmx to freeride. it can be set up like a bmx bike: 14mm axle, pegs, s/s, v brakes with a rotor, dual 24wheels and rigid or 5" fork. or, it can be setup like a mountain bike: 10mm rear axle, 27 speed, 8" disc brakes, 24x26 or dual 26 wheels and 5 or 7" fork.

the frame is gonna be around $499cdn and the complete is gonna be under $1200cdn.
you can buy this frame and put your old parts on it or you can buy a complete and convert it with your old parts, depending on the type of ride you're doing.

the proposed sizes are 12, 14 and 14long. the euro's were asking for a 16" too.

the scratch chainstays adjust from 15.75" to 17.25" and the disc brake and derailleur hanger move with the wheel. there are stainless steel grind guards brazed underneath the chainstays.

the dropouts are compatable with 10 or 14mm single speed hubs with 135mm spacing and 9 speed hubs too. we've worked with funn components to arrange a supply of 14mm disc compatable s/s freehub's. it's saint compatable too, for what that's worth. the 14mm dropout inserts don't have a derailleur hanger, the 10mm set does.(both are included)

this bike was designed for west coast dirt jumping and urban with huge input from nigel quarless and geoff gullevich. i've asked a bunch of questions, here on this forum, and you guys had a lot of input in the design, too.

pip

www.bansheebikes.com

Sept. 2, 2003, 9:53 p.m.

:eek: is all i have to say about the frame

will geoff be riding one ?

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:02 p.m.

So do I get a free one Pip?

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:03 p.m.

Pip have u ever thought of any downtube protection ? I have hit my downtube a lot when ride street mainly on more tech stalls .. but when they go wrong … you end with a huge dent in the downtube.

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:11 p.m.

Originally posted by bullit_kid
**:eek: is all i have to say about the frame

will geoff be riding one ? **

geoff, nigel and bender will be getting the 3rd generation prototypes.

pip

www.bansheebikes.com

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:13 p.m.

Originally posted by BAC5.2
So do I get a free one Pip?

free bikes for all my friends if you pay for my retirement.:P

pip

www.bansheebikes.com

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:15 p.m.

Sounds great, I wanna see some pics. What's the weight?

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:17 p.m.

Originally posted by HEYPIP
**free bikes for all my friends if you pay for my retirement.:P

pip **

Lol, I believe I did pay for a Scream.

By the time the shippers get their shit together, you'll be retired, lol.

On that note - I'll call you thursday (or monday, dependin on how you are feeling from germany) and see what the skinny is on the boat. No real rush anymore due to my shoulder.

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:18 p.m.

Originally posted by bullit_kid
Pip have u ever thought of any downtube protection ? I have hit my downtube a lot when ride street mainly on more tech stalls .. but when they go wrong … you end with a huge dent in the downtube.

i've thought long and hard about it, and as you can see, i haven't decided yet. the tube could be superbutted on the bottom or a seperate piece could be brazed or welded on.
both have their unique benifits and problems.

a clamp on replacable down tube guard is where i'm leaning.
you only need to install it if you're doing sprocket grinds and stuff that impacts the d/t. maybe fox should make one to fit all bikes. i'll ask him if he wants to. it would fit his product lineup really good, i think.

pip

www.bansheebikes.com

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:22 p.m.

Originally posted by Jeff M
Sounds great, I wanna see some pics. What's the weight?

the pics are on a previous thread. i don't know how to post them and, to tell you the truth, i don't know how they got out.

scratch frame weighs around 6.5lb

pip

www.bansheebikes.com

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:32 p.m.

this bike was designed for kids, to get them through the progression from bmx to freeride. it can be set up like a bmx bike: 14mm axle, pegs, s/s, v brakes with a rotor, dual 24wheels and rigid or 5" fork. or, it can be setup like a mountain bike: 10mm rear axle, 27 speed, 8" disc brakes, 24x26 or dual 26 wheels and 5 or 7" fork.

vbrakes with a rotor? V brakes on a rotor? Isn't that essentially a disc brake?

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:34 p.m.

rotor would be Gyro.

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:40 p.m.

I believe the fork sold alone will have a definite niche market. Well done Pip. I think I know what HT to replace my old Brodie with. Oh - and as soon as you can fill your backorders of Chaparral's, my wife will be bombing one of those. The Banshee family grows…

:D

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:41 p.m.

**the pics are on a previous thread. i don't know how to post them and, to tell you the truth, i don't know how they got out.

scratch frame weighs around 6.5lb

pip **

Sorry about that, sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with this forum. I found the pics, looks great. I wonder though, with more and more BMXs going to a euro bb, if the american bb has had its day. Why not a euro bb with chainguide mounts?

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:41 p.m.

a clamp on replacable down tube guard is where i'm leaning.

pip **

a nice rolled peice of aluminium checker plating would look awesome on a black frame.