anyone ride all flats all the time?

March 31, 2015, 11:48 a.m.

Bahahahahahaha!

I'd struggle on that beast with or without clips.

The best part is that the DT was the light option compared to the V-Tach. Not for the faint of heart.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 31, 2015, 11:52 a.m.

well ya but you are not lifting the bike off the ground with your legs.

not pulling up, no (a la clip in). but, you push through your feet/legs at the same time as you pull up on the bars.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 31, 2015, 11:54 a.m.

One of the things I like about clipless is the feeling of forced 100% commitment on challenging stuff. I've ridden FR/DH on flats on and off over a few years, and I found that I was a lot more tempted to dab when things got sketchy rather than tough it out as I do when I am clipped in. Clipless puts me in a "failure-is-not-an-option" frame of mind.

Of course, I've had some crashes as a result, but speaking as someone who tore my ACL and MCL while riding flats - dabbing in a fight for control while crashing - I think I prefer to crash clipped in. (I ride with the minimal SPD, no pedal cage - cuz that's the way I like it, like it, like it).

March 31, 2015, 12:16 p.m.

Dissin my old knolly? c'mon now….

It was 37lbs not too bad.

March 31, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

I'm with you! My V-Tach was 47. My DT was 37 and my Delirium was 35. My alloy Enduro 29 is still 33.

March 31, 2015, 1:31 p.m.

The only time I did not like clipless pedals was on skinnies…falling and not clipping out super sucked. Other than that I liked how connected I felt when things got rough…I never had issues clipping out in time (other than those damn skinnies).

I feel the new shoe/pedal combinations really let you have the freedom of flats and still feel connected to the bike.

March 31, 2015, 1:43 p.m.

One of the things I like about clipless is the feeling of forced 100% commitment on challenging stuff. I've ridden FR/DH on flats on and off over a few years, and I found that I was a lot more tempted to dab when things got sketchy rather than tough it out as I do when I am clipped in. Clipless puts me in a "failure-is-not-an-option" frame of mind.

Of course, I've had some crashes as a result, but speaking as someone who tore my ACL and MCL while riding flats - dabbing in a fight for control while crashing - I think I prefer to crash clipped in. (I ride with the minimal SPD, no pedal cage - cuz that's the way I like it, like it, like it).

Hmhh…
Thanks for that information. I have always ridden clipless. Blew my acl on my trials bike recently, and just had acl surgery.

Bought some flats, for riding in the future, but your beta has me re-thinking that decision. I have never had an issue of getting out of my clips, and believe I ride pretty aggressively. Might have to pass those pedals onto my son, and go back to clipless. Will ponder more.

March 31, 2015, 2:06 p.m.

Sorry for not picking an easier target but………..

Shed head!

March 31, 2015, 2:28 p.m.

I definitely climb a bit better with clipless but I am having more fun on flats at the moment.

Wrong. Always.

March 31, 2015, 2:32 p.m.

And yeah, my bunnyhopping isn't great. I can blame it on being on a 29er of course. But the reality is I need to build up my skills and that's one of the things I am liking about being on flats.

Wrong. Always.

March 31, 2015, 2:59 p.m.

And yeah, my bunnyhopping isn't great. I can blame it on being on a 29er of course. But the reality is I need to build up my skills and that's one of the things I am liking about being on flats.

Effective bunnyhopping is so satisfying. Too bad the trails don't demand this skill as much as they used to. I remember doing a quasi bunnyhop to get over large logs. If I screwed up the timing I'd dig my chainring/bash into it and saw my way through. If I nailed it just right it would be closer to a trials move where I'd pause briefly as my rear tire touched and I'd ride through.

March 31, 2015, 3:34 p.m.

Craw, I do something similar on my YZ250. I wheelie up to the log and as my back tire hit the log it forces the back end up/over and clears the log with ease, almost like a jump.

Pulling up on your pedals to bunnyhop? What is this, amateur hour? Those are the people who should spend a year riding flats.

This is true lol.

Your 0.02 opinion is worthless. Since Feb 2013, pennies have to be rounded down. Sorry.

March 31, 2015, 7:53 p.m.

So how do you think guys in bike parks around the world, pre-jump and clear obstacles with flat pedals? They're pre-loading all that suspension and then moving through the bike to their wrists and arms to raise the bike off the ground. Nothing to do with cleats and clipless pedals. Momentum is the assist, not pedals.

I'm not here to say what is right and wrong, but it was enjoyable to watch the OP's question devolve to those two simple tangents. But to say you "can't" or to re-define something that existed prior to clipless (bunny hopping, for example), is either folly or trolling.

I firmly believe clipless is more efficient for climbing, not always faster. Less energy burned. For me, that's it's significant advantage. Descending can be quicker and more stabilising in the rough, as is pure brute acceleration when you've scrubbed speed.

That said, with pedals, you ride the flow and anticipate better. Sometimes finding speed where you weren't looking before. I like both. My ankles only like flats.

a true bunny hop to me is from a slow roll or complete stop , what you are describing i consider speed hopping , and yay you use whatever trick it takes to do it .

and for me , clipped in makes the bike more part of me and my movements i rode clips for 10yrs or so , been riding flats for almost 3yrs . i was more comfortable in clips for jumping and sprinting . today i am a faster rider even with my uncomfortableness with flats then i was back in my clipped in days , but that being said i have yet to try clips , i still have my old DX shoes just need some pedals .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 31, 2015, 11:24 p.m.

The only time I did not like clipless pedals was on skinnies…falling and not clipping out super sucked.

The safest way to abort a skinny (esp on a bike with plush suspension) is often to ride or drop off the side. Generally less hazardous and way cooler than sideways bailing off the bike. For me, being clipped in suppresses the urge to bail mid-way. If you are going to hit the ground from losing it on a skinny, you may has well do it while still on the bike, hopefully rubber-side down.

April 1, 2015, 11:01 a.m.

The safest way to abort a skinny (esp on a bike with plush suspension) is often to ride or drop off the side. Generally less hazardous and way cooler than sideways bailing off the bike. For me, being clipped in suppresses the urge to bail mid-way. If you are going to hit the ground from losing it on a skinny, you may has well do it while still on the bike, hopefully rubber-side down.

Oh yeah…I do that, but sometimes shit happens and you don't have the time to abort safely…lol.