Suck It Up Princess - Back in (and off) the Saddle

May 22, 2008, 2:11 p.m.

I moved to Port Moody shortly after the first kid popped out, so I'd only been up on Eagle twice before. I figured I wouldn't remember the "long way" up via the old ski hill road that Couch showed me years ago so decided I'd just hike-a-bike up The Dentist. The plan was actually to just stop at the top of the Dentist.. but somehow I ended up on the top. Funny how that works. :)

If any Port Moody crew are organizing rides, let me know. Riding by myself on a mountain I don't know is fun, but probably not very smart. ;)

May 23, 2008, 8:50 a.m.

Excellent story.

Had a 1 season hiatus last year after a seemingly innocent crash here on Harper mountain in Kamloops. After the crash I could barely walk and couldn't stand fully upright…. spent a few hours that seemed like an eternity in emerg to find that there was nothing wrong with me…hmm.

1 week later after the emerg visit, went to the doctor and found out that my back was buggered; 3 compressed vertebrae and a few cracked ribs as well as a concussion. My riding season was over.

During the winter found out that we have a our first child on the way this summer; so I thought this through thoroughly whether or not I am going to be able to get back on the bike… (I am after all, an old fart at the ripe old age of 34); and whether this would be in the best interest of my family if something happened to me again.

To cut the story somewhat short, I am back on the bike; and ripping harder than ever. The bug just can't stay away forever I've found.

The story by Mark Mayo has truly inspired me even more; as now, whenever I have any sort of obstacle to overcome, I take solace in the fact that at least any day out biking is better than any day NOT biking.

Thanks

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. :scream:

May 23, 2008, 12:31 p.m.

The 'Port Moody' crew can be found lurking around on http://www.thefatboys.ca/forum/. Usually a couple of us head up eagle sunday mornings and once a week after work. Feel free to message me and we can show you around.
Daryl

May 23, 2008, 10:05 p.m.

Really good read. I think a break from something you love doing is a good thing. You come back rekindled and with more appreciation.

a big long winter does the trick!

great article

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

May 25, 2008, 12:09 p.m.

Great read! I too had children change my priorities due to a shift working wife and the "tired parent syndrome".

I hope you can safely continue the adventures. Life is too short to be a spectator.

:canada:Whether you say "I can" or "I can't", you're right, but you only live once. Cheers!:beer:

May 27, 2008, 10:19 a.m.

What a great story! Ride on brother!

I have no rep power….. :ohthedrama: