Grouse trail vandalism - chainsaw used during fire season

Aug. 17, 2014, 8:40 p.m.

Figured I would put these up as this was a pretty disturbing event and needed a call out. About two weeks ago I found some trees had been fallen in the Grouse area in North Van. The forest was tinder dry and some nutjob had used a chainsaw to fall these trees on a trail.

Was going to let this pass till I heard that some nutjob has also been vandalizing hiking signs in West Vancouver and burning biking signs and scattering debris on hiking/biking trails in Fromme.

It's almost impossible to catch someone like this in the act so don't bother. But they do have a (sharp) chainsaw so if you hear this nutter spark up the saw maybe call the cops. I'd certainly not recommend trying to apprehend them as they have a chainsaw and no doubt will be displeased at being discovered.

Finally got back to the trail with a saw. Tried to cut out as much of the fallen trees as possible with the handsaw but the largest tree will need a chainsaw. Also tried to prop up the hiking signpost that had been vandalized and tipped over.

Location undisclosed so as to not give any copycats any smart ideas.

These were the trees that had been fallen

Some of the cut trees

Whoever it was had a nice sharp saw

Got the small logs with the handsaw

Bigger tree on top I couldn't saw through

Tipped over signpost I tried to put back in

The nutjob had taken out the signpost and laid it on the ground and it looked like he/she tried to burn it. I propped it back up with rocks best as I could

Lee Lau

Aug. 18, 2014, 7:54 p.m.

You need to take those pictures to the RCMP. If they know the location they will investigate this. That's from the horses mouth literally, Even if it's a rogue trail this goes beyond mountain biking and involves the safety of people who live near there or who might get called to fight a fire to grouse. Please even an anonymous tip will help although going straight to the cop shop and speaking with someone at the desk will be more effective.

Aug. 19, 2014, 2:28 p.m.

wow shit is getting out of hand. those sings on cypress were stolen, this is done and the other signs on Grouse were vandalized. Plus the FUMW sign. Either someone has a big hate on for the NSMBA or there's war on between people.

It's hard to know if its bikers or if its hikers doing this. Or a fight between them. people need to chill out.

Aug. 21, 2014, 8:08 p.m.

why can't we all just get along.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Aug. 27, 2014, 9:05 p.m.

the largest tree will need a chainsaw.

kudos to you. They do make bigger saws, or a semi rotten hemlock would be quick work for an axe. Good chance you get reported to the cops for carrying around an axe though, getting arrested at gun point is a good adrenaline rush though.