Teachers on NSMB?

June 3, 2008, 1:27 p.m.

The thought of going into teaching my entire life makes my skin crawl! Seems like the perfect way to kill your passion for teaching. I'll shoot myself before I start counting down the years to retirement. I actually can't think of any job I would be willing to do my whole life.

It wasn't really a default thing for me but it is for most people. I was actually making good money and somewhat enjoying my last job but needed a change. Plus a reason to stay closer to trails and slopes!

Teaching in a secondary school is a completely different experience from young kids. Less babysitting (usually) and better discussions/conversations. Plus they appreciate a teacher who rides bikes, listens to their music, snowboards, etc.

True. The fact that I'm young and enjoy some of the same things makes me slightly more human to them.

I didn't default into teaching, I had another career in mind but I started thinking that money might not be everything. I like the lifestyle of teachers, I like the kids, and I like to coach… The holidays are nice too, but as I've found, they are needed from time to time.

June 3, 2008, 1:42 p.m.

my youngest son is in grade 3 in sd43 and has two teachers that share the week - one does 2 days, the other 3. i've been trying to figure out if this is because neither wants to work a full week, or if job sharing is cheaper for the gov't :???: it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I does to me, with all the sick days, holidays and then all the professional development days :rolleyes: that means they probably do, what, 10 may be 12 days of work a year, max…….

GL HJ hope you find something quick.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

June 3, 2008, 1:59 p.m.

my youngest son is in grade 3 in sd43 and has two teachers that share the week - one does 2 days, the other 3. i've been trying to figure out if this is because neither wants to work a full week, or if job sharing is cheaper for the gov't :???: it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Usually a situation like that is one senior (or two very senoir) teachers who have all the leverage they need to work part time due to senority. So they are able to dictate their hours because the board has to give them a job and place them before younger more willing teachers. Often a young teacher will jump at the chance to get a contract for the remaining two or three days a week.

This set up is rarely by choice for the schools.

June 3, 2008, 6:24 p.m.

For the most part from what I've seen here in Ontario, part time teachers tend to be older, married, and often with kids in tow. Less prep and marking, still a good salary, plus the benefits and they can buy their way into the pension.

I have a friend teaching 3 days per week and another older teacher is doing the other 2. From what she tells me, the class suffers by having 2 teachers, not necessarily always on the same page.

June 4, 2008, 9:16 p.m.

I teach Grade 5 here in Calgary and wish everyday that my classroom overlooked the North Shore.

Alberta and BC teachers are able to use their permanent teaching certificates to teach in either province now or at the start of 2009 ( can't remember).

I am going to make the move to Vancouver in the next few years, but realize I will probably need to change careers to do so.

Here's to three more weeks of classes till my 58 day long weekend.

See you in Whistler and on the Shore!

June 5, 2008, 6:08 a.m.

Yep, I've got four weeks of classes left! That also means only one more month of paid work, since I don't have anything lined up for Canada yet.

June 5, 2008, 6:32 a.m.

It does feel good to have a vacation coming up. I'll be working full-time, but in Whistler. Shed a tear for me.

June 5, 2008, 9:16 p.m.

^^^Where will you work?

I lived there for three years. I'd say those were the best years of my life. So far, anyway.

I worked the front desk at the Cascade lodge, and I liked it. The new Whistler library is up and running, and that's pretty sweet. The old one was terrible.

June 6, 2008, 5:35 a.m.

Last summer I worked as a bike guide and as a rock climbing guide. This summer I'm just doing the bike thing, I found that climbing and riding all the time beat up my hands pretty badly.

June 6, 2008, 5:06 p.m.

Well, its official. I don't have a job and there isn't one in my district to even apply to. So I guess I'll be subbing next year. With the new contract we got a couple of years ago, if you work 4 days in a row in the same district you get scale pay and because I've been a full-time teacher for 3 years my scale day rate is $270-woohoo-no marking and no prep, here I come!!!

June 6, 2008, 8:26 p.m.

I work in Richmond as a Tech teacher and the prospects this year are bleak if I want anything remotely close to full time (a block here a couple of blocks there) the one nice thing is that all of the postings are continuing/permanent so hopefully that will mean a better chance to move up next year. It's more or less like that for most of the areas.

Vancouver has some postings too, but less and there are more people to compete with especially since I'm just a TOC and don't have much seniority.

I've heard that Surrey, Langley are always looking for teachers in all areas and I know North Delta has good prospects if not this year then in the next few.

And like it's been pointed out, you could sub and make pretty good coin… $193 a day and if you work 4 days in a row it bumps up to around $235 and they retro-activate you back from the first of the 4

Good Luck!

June 7, 2008, 6:25 a.m.

The question still hasn't been answered, what does a teacher with their BA/BS make? MA/MS? PHD?

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

June 7, 2008, 8:50 a.m.

Doesn't matter, it's not worth it.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because I've been dealing with Chinese 3-year olds for a year, who still don't under stand much of what I say.

June 7, 2008, 12:38 p.m.

The question still hasn't been answered, what does a teacher with their BA/BS make? MA/MS? PHD?

Every district is different-left over from the days when each district bargained individually. I'm not sure about other districts but in Delta if you have a four year Bachelor plus the B. Ed. you start at around 40K, 5K more if you have a masters. You max out at around 67K unless you go into admin. I think Kamloops is the highest paid district in the province. When I was graduating they were starting at around 47K. I know it sounds like a lot but when you're working 60 hour weeks and working on the weekends it just doesn't seem worth it.

June 7, 2008, 12:42 p.m.

[QUOTE=Tool;1955514

I've heard that Surrey, Langley are always looking for teachers in all areas and I know North Delta has good prospects if not this year then in the next few.

[/QUOTE]

Don't look at Delta-we're looking at dropping from a student body of 18,000 to 15,000 over the next 5 or so years-that's a lot of jobs. This year its pretty slim pickings in the job postings and its just gonna get worse.

Surrey is looking really good-as I've said, they're the only district with an increasing student population. They're layoff line this year was only 1.0. and they take very good care of their teachers-I subbed there for a year and I loved working there. I tell everyone to apply there if the commute is OK for you.